Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your observing highlights?

wulfrunian

After reading observing reports recently, especially the excitement of "first light" nights, I wondered if people have any particular highlights in their observing career? I've got three to start off with -

First view of Saturn through a telescope. Can't describe just how astonishing it was, what a feeling it gave, and just how unexpectedly clear it was. And it's never failed to work its magic ever since.

Watching the transit of Venus through my solar scope. It's so rare for the UK skies to clear for any astronomical event, but this one was due first thing in the morning, and I was away with work stopping in a B&B, so I took it with me on the off chance. Set the alarm early and woke to clear blue skies, pointed the scope out of the bedroom window, and there it was; possibly a once in a lifetime event.

November 1999, out on the fens of Cambridgeshire where I was working at the time, with a work colleague to see the Leonids in the year of a real storm of them. Clear skies - HUGE skies! - the Milky Way clear as I've ever seen it overhead, and fireball after fireball leaving trails all across the sky, never to be forgotten.

Plenty of memories to keep me going through the cloudy nights!

Back in the 1990s it was the glory of Hale Bopp's appearance. Wow, what an amazing experience.

Two mornings ago, it was a sheer thrill to set up the Dob at 6:30am, and see Mars for the first time - unfortunately it seems to be such a [removed word] to see clearly!

I also saw Saturn and was astonished yet again by his beauty. This observing session made for a peaceful day at work depsite the utter turmoil that is happening there at the moment. I recommend early morning observing to get the day off to a right start. :)

All my observing sessions during this summer - the Milky Way can be seen very clearly from my garden. One particular highlight was exploring the Southern sky around Scutum and Saggitarius, M11 etc. Late at night, everyone is in bed, whilst now, I am out earlier and all the neighbour's lights are on, cars going by, etc...

Mine will always be Saturn for the first time in 1984 aged 13 in my 60mm Tasco. I wasn't prepared for what i was going to see, i never realised i would see the rings that clearly.

Another was seeing a proper size telescope for the first time. I'll happily admit i get as much a buzz from the kit as i do the sights. I remember popping along to Hampshire Astro Group in 1986 and seeing their BCF 9 1/4" Newt on a MkIII in a dome. And then being told that was the baby scope and there was 20" truss in a much larger dome at the new site.

Tracking down M81/M82 in the 60mm......couldn't believe i was seeing two galaxies in the same field and i had found them. Then seeing them 2 years later in the 20" truss. :)

Massive fireball at Astro Camp 1987 in Ashdown Forest. Never seen one like it since....lit the place up.

Observing with Rob down the New Forest. Had some great observing sessions down there.

Hale Bopp from the nineties was amazing.

And the comet plunging into Jupiter was equally amazing.

That's just a few for me that stand out.

Funnily enough a number of my early highlights were the same as Russ's at a similar age and with similar equipment !!!

Other include:

- Being on the beach at Marazion with my family during the total eclipse of 1999 was pretty magical.

- As was the transit of Venus already mentioned - I projected the suns image with my 60mm tasco for the school friends of my kids to look at as it co-incided with walking to school time.

- There have been a few comets (some already mentioned) and I'm glad I had a 6" newtonian in 1986 so my wife and I can actually say we saw Halley's Comet despite the fact that it was rather feeble !.

Fast forward to this year and 3 memorable "firsts" for a rather old hand at the SGL4 star party in Herefordshire:

- actually seeing prominances on the sun with my 1st view through a Coronado PST.

- actually clearly seeing the spiral arms of M51 ( my 1st visual spiral arms) with Alex's 12" dob :icon_eek:

- visually detecting the faint but awsome magnitiude 13.5 spark of a short lived super nova in a faint Ursa Major galaxy. Alex's scope again, my Ethos 13mm eyepiece and Andrew who knew where to look :eek:

Thanks to all those that helped the above happen and, if you have not booked up for a star party yet (especially an SGL one) what are you waiting for :):D

John

Showing my kids the partial solar eclipse (1999?) was a tremendous thrill.

Travelling up to WuHan and witnessing this summers total solar eclipse (which has totally rekindled my astonomy).

First view of Saturn.

First View of Jupiter.

Transit of Venus.

Hale Bopp.

First solar observation.

But any clear night that I can get the scope out and do some viewing, is a highlight. TBH, any observing is a highlight.

I'm really looking forward to my next scope, getting it mounted and catching enormous amounts of photons (compared to my 114), but that's a project for next year as time and funding allow.

Finding out myself (8 y.o. with bins) my "little cloud" was M42! :D

Projecting Sunspots with [ubiquitous '60s] 30x30(!) refractor. :icon_eek:

First resolution of Mizar, the "double double" and (latterly!) Polaris.

Finding M36/37/38 (all three!) with a GoTo a v. few nights ago. :)

I'm sorry to say planets always left me feeling "Am I bovvered"? :eek:

The Sun and Moon still fire my (potential) imagination though...

for me, hmmm

Saturn, Jupiter. they were great.

But one night, I decided to just aim my telescope to a random spot on ursa major. I then discovered a fuzzy spot. I researched it and found out it was M101. I slept very well that night in seeing a galaxy, since i could never find Andromeda by some odd reason. so for me, M101.

-Saturn on a really steady night

-The first time I saw the mountains on the Moon with shadows spreading across the mare

- Comet Holmes outburst

- Finding the Veil Nebula for the first time in my 150mm reflector

- Seeing Stephans Quintet in someone else's 10" dob

- Partial solar eclipse a couple of years ago projected with my bins

These are just a few. No doubt loads more will spring to mind as soon as I post this

Just ever getting a chance to use the scope would be nice for me :icon_eek:

LOL, likewise; we're supposed to have clear skies tonight at 9pm...the grey blanket overhead seems to have other ideas though :)

I'm a little new to the scope owning fraternity, so apologies for the possible newbness of my events :eek:

The first time I saw M31 was incredible; it was the first time I'd ever seen a bona fide DSO and just couldn't stop staring at the fuzzy disc.

The first surface details of Jupiter - it kept vanishing behind clouds but the moments of clarity were stunning.

The Orion Nebula...I can't believe I've looked at Orion all my life and never knew such a jewel was lurking in its midst :D

I still have yet to see Saturn though :(

My astronomical hightlights are:-

1. 1999 solar eclipse (from Krapets/North East Bulgaria)

2. first view of Saturn (with 40mm/40x Tasco refractor)

3. first view of Mizar & Alcor in Ursa Major (with 40mm/40x Tasco refractor)

4. the Moons terminator

5. tracking artificial satelites (including the International Space Station) - (with 7x50 Sony binoculars)

6. transit of Venus

7. transit of Mercury

8. comet Holmes (with 7x50 Sony binoculars)

9. comet Hale-Bopp

10. comet Hyakutake

11. M45 (Pleiades - with 7x50 Sony binoculars)

12. a Saturn V launch

...not in any order of preference, except the first three.:)

Ah yes, i forgot the transit of Mercury and Venus.

Also forgot an amazing meteor that we saw last year from the backgarden. First time i've seen one break up.

Geminid meteor shower 1995? Not sure of the exact year now but it was the best i've seen to date........better than any Perseid shower.

Comet Hyakutake - awesome comet. Still can't believe we got this in 1996 and Hale Bopp in 1997.....talk about a golden era for comets.

Archived