Horsey a la Baader Ha

ollypenrice

Here's the old Cheval with a lot of paddock to gallop around in. I know the framing's odd but this is just a part of something bigger. However, I want to post it now to share my absolute delight with our new Baader 7 nanometre Ha filter. Wot no haloes, even round Alnitak?? Well, okay, there's a bit but the star shows as a double with minimal processing. What a filter and only 119 Euros. I'm in love.

Tak FSQ85 at f3.9 (328mm.) 4 hours in ten min subs on a so-so night of poor seeing. However, at 328mm it hardly matters. Before this sees the real light of day it will have the key areas in overlay from the five inch and some other bells and whistles...

Olly

711149908_sjviz-L.jpg

Beautiful Olly. That Tak is really doing the business for you :)

The Baader 7nm really does nail those haloes doesnt it. I guess at f3.9 you are on the limit of usefulness with it? I dont understand the maths, but have heard somewhere, from Martin I think, that fast telescopes shift the wavelength or something. Hyperstars at f2 really show the effect apparently. I guess that would make itself known by missing out on the fainter details??? Not so here though, the faint stuff is there in buckets :rolleyes:

Tim

Wonderful shot Olly and sounds like a very exciting project.

I guess at f3.9 you are on the limit of usefulness with it? I dont understand the maths, but have heard somewhere, from Martin I think, that fast telescopes shift the wavelength or something. Hyperstars at f2 really show the effect apparently. I guess that would make itself known by missing out on the fainter details??? Not so here though, the faint stuff is there in buckets :rolleyes:

Tim

The theory is that in fast set ups the light is hitting the filter at an angle and this shifts the band pass. This is more pronounced the narrower the band pass. Aza posted some stuff on some tests run by Don Goldman which suggests that this wasn't as big a problem as imagined and, from memory, wasn't likely to be a huge issue at F4. It's certainly worked for you Olly

Archived