Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5

This will come as no surprise to many here on SGL but the Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5 has been awarded 'Group Test Winner' in the July issue of BBC Sky at Night magazine.

skywatcher_explorer_200P_EQ5.jpg

The Skywatcher was awarded 93% overall and achieved the highest score for optical performance. The group included the Orion Optics (UK) 200mm Europa DELUXE and the Konus Konusky-200 motor.

Also, the Explorer 200p is now supplied with the new Black Diamond livery and a white EQ5.

For further details and an up-to-date price please see our online store.

Wow I didnt know that they were doing white EQ5's.

The 8" Newt is amazing value - I've had one and bang for buck you just cannot go wrong!!!

Off topic: Can you buy Skywatcher tube rings in white?

Ant

The EQ3 is white too, and the 150P/PL Optical Tubes have the new Black Diamond finish.

Not sure about white tube-rings. Currently all the rings we have in stock are are grey but I daresay we could obtain white ones, and over time white will probably become the norm.

HTH

EQ3-2%20Mount%20SGL.jpg

From the review:

“The Explorer 200p passed all our tests with flying colours and was a delight to use optically and mechanically ... The overall stability of the system impressed us: it had a rock-solid mount with the least amount of play in the slow-motion controls. The quality of its views just pushed it ahead of the [Orion Optics - DeLuxe] Europa, giving us a very enjoyable look at all of our test objects. For us, these tipped the balance to bring the Explorer-200P out on top.” BBC Sky at Night magazine July 09

It could have won on looks alone.

My first 'Real' Telescope was a Newtonian 8"f6 which I made from scratch. I put it on a German equatorial mount built on an 'A' frame.

You have no Idea how much I loved that instrument. I am going back a lot of years, but I still get emotional when I think of the great nights I had with that telescope. It is still in use, but in a Dob. mount. I sold it to a Fellow Society member, and it gets more use that the Observatories 16".

Sorry Steve, but I am trying to say what a splendid start for any aspiring astronomer to own the 8" Newt. They are a joy to use. And the price is very comfortable too.

Ron.:)

I almost didn't start this thread as this telescope and mount is already hugely popular here on SGL. And for good reason, most of us have direct experience of the Explorer 200p/EQ5 and know what it is capable of.

Interesting to see that it beat the Orion Optics Europa-DeLuxe, both optically and mechanically!

I read the review with great interest as I have the 'blue tube' version of this 'scope with the R & P focusser and I have always been pretty pleased with it.

The EQ3-2 and EQ5 in white look great don't they? The move away from the 'Gold' finish to their OTAs is also rather welcome by me but these are just cosmetic attributes, that it beat the OO offering was a good achievement and bares out my own experiences with SkyWatcher equipment.

... I have the 'blue tube' version of this 'scope with the R & P focusser and I have always been pretty pleased with it.

I used to observe with the earlier black-tube version when they were called Helios. They weren't using the nice thin spider-vanes back then but it still offered very nice views :)

I do wonder who was in charge of the spaying shop at Skywatcher when the decision to go with that white and gold colour scheme was made....:)

If you load an image of a blue tube, black mount Skywatcher into a graphics program and 'invert' the colours, you will see exactly how they got the idea!!

post-13675-133877381151_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have one of those OTAs on my wish list - the DS version for easier focussing and shorter tube for DSLR imaging.

Just this morning received the EQ6 Pro SynScan mount I ordered yesterday afternoon. A lovely surprise to get it so soon. Thank you FLO :eek: I like the white, very clean looking and good for seeing in dim light :) Even more so I like the precision feel and weight of it - really beautifully made. I'm sure this will future-proof my mount needs for a very long time. (Sorry, bit off-topic but I had to say it :) )

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am contemplating trying to justify this to the wife. I reckon if I can sell my TAL-1M for £100 on Ebay, that means I would get this for an outlay of £300.

I don't know much about the mounts though. Is the EQ5 motorised at all? Could I chuck an SLR on this and get recognisable images of nebula and galaxies? Or would I need to go for the next level of mount (HEQ5?). I don't think I could justify much more of an outlay though, I am a cheapskate!

--- Alistair.

Nadeem, this thread is dated back to 2009... therefore I think you're right, the 200p has been superceded by the PDS and you won't be able to get these anymore.

I'd suggest any interested parties would probably be best starting new threads to ask questions about the scopes, rather than pulling up threads from the past.

Archived