NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Betelgeuse Supernova Live Feed

Bazz

20 hours ago, Bazz said:

So let's just look at the feed and wonder.

something tells me if betelgeuse went supernova you wouldn't see it on that feed...

Edited by Astronomist
  • Like 2

Wouldn't it be fantastic if it blew. Let your imaginations run wild on this one instead of speculating on just how long as no one knows. 

I totally get that you might think folks are being negative, but science sensationalism is generally not well received, and it harms both the hobby and the professional side of it too, just like any other sensationalism. Granted, we don't know for certain, but that's true about most things. The professional astronomy community does have *a good, data based estimate* though which is what science is about. Unfortunately, feeds like the live stream and associated "BrIAn CoX sez BETELGEUSE WILL DESTROY teh EARTH" type stories are not dramatically different from flat earth and astrology - based on pseudoscience and not a lot of facts, which is why the response may have felt a bit less than warm. 

• Like 7

It’s always good to wonder at these things. 
If you want to read a bit about Betelgeuse and how observations by amateur astronomers  have helped to understand it, have a look at this article by Mark Kidger in the BAA Journal2020JBAA..130..342K

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

so it would have had to have blown up 650 years ago for us to see it now -

If we are looking at it under really high magnification are we reducing that time period? effectively time travelling ?

Or is that not the case ?

4 minutes ago, whooshbang said:

If we are looking at it under really high magnification are we reducing that time period? effectively time travelling ?

Or is that not the case ?

No, you are just magnifying the received photons that have taken 650 years to arrive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bazz said:

It's a live feed of a star possibly going supernova. What harm is there in that?

I am quite shocked at the negativity here.

I have yet to see a telescope that can show a star as a large churning disc of gas from any amateur. It's a total fraud.

• Like 1

Folk that know a thing or two about supernovae, aren't watching Betelgeuse with a telescope. No, they'll be like me, running their own neutrino detector.

Because, while you're all waiting for the energy of core collapse to propagate outwards and disrupt Betelgeuse's outer layers, thus starting the optical flare, I'll be watching the neutrino storm. Some hours ahead of y'all. Those neutrinos aren't hindered by the maelstrom that created them and escape at near light speed.  

It's easy to build. Just a glass of water, an old ASI 120mm camera and Ras Pi. I'm just working on the live stream.

Of course, it's non directional, so I expect to detect a lot of non Betelgeuseian neutrino swarms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Remember a few years back when Betelgeuse went dim?

At the time, I thought it was a cloud of cosmic dust and when I told one of my work colleagues. Said I was talking nonsense and started laughing and said: “You cannot be serious!” like a tennis player without the anger. They think dust is what they find at home, office or car.

Guess who is laughing now!

Edited by RT65CB-SWL

13 hours ago, Paul M said:

Folk that know a thing or two about supernovae, aren't watching Betelgeuse with a telescope. No, they'll be like me, running their own neutrino detector. 

You can also sign up for supernova early warning system alerts like this. Also based on neutrino detectors, and alerts you a few hours before the optical supernova becomes visible. 

24 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

You can also sign up for supernova early warning system alerts like this. Also based on neutrino detectors, and alerts 

I think they stole my idea!😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

You can't get a scope on Betelgeuse 24 hours a day. There's this thing the earth does called rotation :tongue2:

Isn’t the earth a disc?

😉

• Haha 1

Not speaking about the fact that in my couple of observations of December and January, Betelgeus was stagnant at magnitude 0.5. 

Friday, on February 16, the magnitude of Betegeus increased to 0.6 magnitude. 

So the brightness decreased a bit.

Right on time to ''honor'' the said feed !

Mircea

Edited by Mircea

19 hours ago, Bazz said:

Wouldn't it be fantastic if it blew. Let your imaginations run wild on this one instead of speculating on just how long as no one knows. 

I would love to see a naked eye supernova, however i am not too thrilled about the effects it will have for deep sky imaging and observing. It will be very bright, about a full Moons worth of extra light pollution year round until it dims.

If it does go boom, which i dont think it will soon, i do know that i will be placing an order for a monochrome camera and narrowband filters immediately. Those will be all sold out as every deep sky imager on the planet will want to mitigate the effects of the added sky brightness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 900SL said:

Hey Bazz, have you checked out the spaceship Oompaloompah? It came from outside the solar system and is heading back. Everybody is terrifying disaster!

Hi 900SL, in your calculations when might it go supernova as I am getting the feeling some of the good people here are being condescending without actually knowing anything?

Unfortunately the WWW is full of keyboard experts that tend to make their opinions as a fact. Me I tend to dream of what we don't know and what just might possibly happen in our lifetime. It makes life so much more interesting do you think?

Edited by Bazz

1 hour ago, Bazz said:

Hi 900SL, in your calculations when might it go supernova as I am getting the feeling some of the good people here are being condescending without actually knowing anything?

Unfortunately the WWW is full of keyboard experts that tend to make their opinions as a fact. Me I tend to dream of what we don't know and what just might possibly happen in our lifetime. It makes life so much more interesting do you think?

I have to say Bazz, that it would be funny if Beet went bang next week. You could type I TOLD YOU SO in capitals. But I think  the point that many are making is that youtube is full of alarmist fake science click bait baloney, that has no basis in fact. And the channel you refer to is unlikely to be a real time image of Bageljaws