Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Betelgeuse Supernova Live Feed

Bazz

10 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I'll wait for the livestream of when black holes start to evaporate due to Hawking radiation.

Betelgeuse is an odd one, it often comes up in discussion from non astronomy folk i meet when i mention that im in the hobby. It seems to me that most people think that it will go bang any time now, no doubt due to clickbait articles that translate "perhaps in the next 100 000 years" to "next tuesday".

I'm sorry but it seems it could go at any time now and no one seems to know! Even scientists are divided......I respect Prof Brian Cox with his view that it's imminent.

4 hours ago, Bazz said:

hello Paul I think many astronomers and scientists believe it will happen much sooner than anyone thought originally

I'm a Libra, so you'll find me sitting on the fence.

But yeah, define "soon" in astronomical times scales?

13 hours ago, Paul M said:

I'm a Libra, so you'll find me sitting on the fence.

But yeah, define "soon" in astronomical times scales?

Aa in nobody knows it could be today, tomorrow or 10 years.

14 hours ago, Bazz said:

I'm sorry but it seems it could go at any time now and no one seems to know! Even scientists are divided......I respect Prof Brian Cox with his view that it's imminent.

Ahh, another you tube Doctorate.

Can you point me to a clear statement from Brian Cox that this is likely to go pop in the next ten years, and not some alarmist click bait youtube that has any of the following in the title : lied to us, they, extinction, destruction. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Ahh, another you tube Doctorate.

Can you point me to a clear statement from Brian Cox that this is likely to go pop in the next ten years, and not some alarmist click bait youtube that has any of the following in the title : lied to us, they, extinction, destruction. 

Once again no one knows when but it is thought sooner rather than later.

Whilst it would be something to think it may happen in our life time, I won't be stuck to the youtube video. What I did find interesting was that we do not know it's size or even how far away it is, it could be anywhere from 400 - 650 light years away. 

2 hours ago, Bazz said:

Once again no one knows when but it is thought sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Sometime possibly in the next 100,000 years. That is imminent in the timescale of the universe.

Should probably value the opinion of the actual variable star expert, plus most of the rest of the professional astronomy community rather than youtube clickbait though right @Bazz? As far as I am aware there are very few published papers which disagree with the current thinking, which is tens of thousands of years, with sometime in the next 100,000 being the best estimate as @JeremyS and others have pointed out. 

If there is something other than the recent unpublished paper which disagrees, please share - would be interested in reading. 

Edited by badhex

1 hour ago, M40 said:

Whilst it would be something to think it may happen in our life time, I won't be stuck to the youtube video. What I did find interesting was that we do not know it's size or even how far away it is, it could be anywhere from 400 - 650 light years away. 

The latest distance estimate for Betelgeuse is 548 ly with an uncertainty range of 499 - 634 ly, see Joyce et al: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/abb8db

• Like 2

The more important time scale to consider is how many hundreds,
 or hundreds of thousands,
 of years are these clouds going to remain and if she does blow will it be visible through them ?
>I'll get my coat  >>

• Haha 2

Totally clickbait and the amount of gullible individuals who sit and watch said videos inevitably depart disappointed. Meanwhile you have just earned the poster more revenue from YouTube.

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Totally clickbait and the amount of gullible individuals who sit and watch said videos inevitably depart disappointed. Meanwhile you have just earned the poster more revenue from YouTube.

It's a live feed of a star possibly going supernova. What harm is there in that?

I am quite shocked at the negativity here.

Edited by Bazz

4 minutes ago, Bazz said:

It's a live feed of a star possibly going supernova. What harm is there in that?

How do you know its a live feed? Where is the scope? Never any clouds? 

33 minutes ago, Bazz said:

It's completely fake, nonsense and clickbait. Calling it what it is isn't being negative :wink2:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

It's completely fake, nonsense and clickbait. Calling it what it is isn't being negative :wink2:

When is it going to happen?

The sky background never seems to get brighter or darker... maybe the scope is in the arctic. Also, this youtube guy has been posting betelgeuse-related sensationalism for over a year, and making a big thing over betelgeuse changing in brightness- its called a variable star for a reason.

Just now, Bazz said:

When is it going to happen?

nobody knows...

Just now, Astronomist said:

The sky background never seems to get brighter or darker... maybe the scope is in the arctic. Also, this youtube guy has been posting betelgeuse-related sensationalism for over a year, and making a big thing over betelgeuse changing in brightness- its called a variable star for a reason.

nobody knows...

Thank you

Betelgeuse is around 650 light years away, so it would have had to have blown up 650 years ago for us to see it now -

Question: what are the chances of that ?

Answer: no one knows, not even Brian Cox !

This is probably someone being paid by youtube for the number of views they get - easy money based on gullible viewers !

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

Just now, dweller25 said:

Betelgeuse is around 650 light years away, so it would have had to have blown up 650 years ago for us to see it now -

Question: what are the chances of that ?

Answer: no one knows, not even Brian Cox !

So let's just look at the feed and wonder. Does no harm.

According to Ags' First Law of Observational Mechanics, a Betelgeuse supernova can only occur when the star is close to the Sun in the daytime sky. The Second Law states that when the event does occur it will be oddly faint and accompanied with global cloud cover on Earth.

• Haha 4