Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope and mount regrets?

Astro regrets. One of my first scopes was a Skymax 127. A member here offered a straight no-money swap for a Skymax 150. No-brainer, right? Wrong. I really missed it for what it excels at: optically superb, very small and light. I even hand-held it once with a dslr stuck on the back!

Magnus

• Like 6

I can understand why folks new to the hobby want to try and "buy once and buy right" but it's really quite difficult to do this because each individual has differing interests, differing observing circumstances, differing budgets etc, etc. 

Often I think it is only by actually trying stuff out, sometimes as a reiterative process, that you work your way towards the equipment that is going to tick as many of your boxes as possible for some time to come. 

A few mistakes or blind alleys along the way is a key part of the process I think, frustrating though they can be at times. Thank goodness for the 2nd hand market !

Edited by John
  • Like 17

I regret not realising in the early days that the mount is at least if not more important than the telescope for deep sky astrophotography.   I bought an EQ5 mount, motor driven, but no goto or guiding. On the other hand as an apprenticeship in basic astrophotography it taught me a lot about finding the target, learning the night’s sky, and good polar alignment.   

• Like 4

I reget the purchase of  an AZ5 and heavy duty carbon fiber tripod for my FC-100DC.  Total weight dropped from ~32 to ~22 pounds with new mount and tripod, but settling time increased to to the point of bothersome when focusing or touching the eyepiece.  The combination looks very nice and is easy to carry in one piece. The mount is well built and works well with slow-mo controls, but stability with the refractor especially at higher powers is a real disappointment.  I am now shy about lightweight mounts and tripods for my 100mm refractor and wonder if any of the new lightweight mounts are suitable.  Perhaps the carbon fiber tripod (88 pound capacity) is a contributing factor, but I was unable to improve stability with usual tripod stabilization methods.

33E84CF2-BE86-4256-8832-429F3DC7FB98.thumb.jpeg.bbee782a1be5f6f9b7d02eaf6ffa2535.jpeg

The original setup is ~32 pounds, a little hard to carry around, no slo-mo,  BUT but rock steady.              (UA Unistar Deluxe mount and surveyors tripod)

A6089051-5E13-4021-A431-01E6EFC47EBB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3a3a31b55a8ce5889e0ec2ece87ddbbf.jpeg

• Like 2

I feel pretty lucky as I do not have any Astro regrets (other than passing up one too many clear nights because it was a long day at work etc…. I live in the UK, what was I thinking? Grab every clear night with both hands in case it is 2023 again!!😉).

I have generally researched heavily before a purchase and I have not really sold anything since my first two scopes back when I was a teenager (though my wife would suggest I should!).

• Like 3

I’m not sure if it could be classed as a regret, but my first scope was a 12” Meade LX200 SCT. I was interested in the night sky and I knew my uncle had bought the scope several years before but he hadn’t used it in a while. I asked him if I could borrow it, and he said yes, as long as I promised never to return it (maybe alarm bells should have gone off then but they didn’t!). I was so excited when it arrived in a massive pirate chest, with a rusty tripod. The mount’s electronics didn’t work but the OTA itself had been stored well and was in very good condition. That thing nearly killed me, and my dad was worse. We had to carry it up three high, awkward steps to a grass patch at the back of the house every time I wanted to use it, and it was massive. I hadn’t a clue what I was doing, it was on a wedge but I had no idea what it was for or how to polar align it. If I had only taken it off the wedge I might have had some hope but it beat me in the end and went back into the pirate chest. 

I ended up getting a 127 Mak and I had a great time with that and my astronomy obsession took off. So it isn’t a regret really, my regret is not making the most of it although even now I think I would find it a challenge to use. I have stuck with small scopes ever since, although I did get a 12” truss tube dob for Christmas that is a doddle to handle compared with the LX200.

Below is a photo of me the first day I set up the scope. I cringe a bit when I look at it now but that was the day I really started on my astronomy journey.

IMG_4555_Original.jpeg.b13ea472aa8f9dd56573a43508d873b0.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Regret is a part of life - but keep it a small part :wink2:

I suppose the closest I come to scope regret is the OMC-140 I had. The focuser was dire with huge backlash and the customer service I received trying to get it sorted was even worse. As I was using Plössls at the time I ended up unscrewing the tops to provide fine focus.
I won't mention the metal dew shield I ordered which they painted white even though my scope was maroon... Even at that it was badly painted and took four months to do.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Regret is a part of life - but keep it a small part :wink2:

I suppose the closest I come to scope regret is the OMC-140 I had. The focuser was dire with huge backlash and the customer service I received trying to get it sorted was even worse. As I was using Plössls at the time I ended up unscrewing the tops to provide fine focus.
I won't mention the metal dew shield I ordered which they painted white even though my scope was maroon... Even at that it was badly painted and took four months to do.

You'll not be first in the queue for the 185 model then Michael....?? 😉

• Haha 4

There are no regrets, just challenges accepted. 😏. At least that's how I look at things lol.

My most challenging piece of astr equipment by far has been my rc6.  Collimation, focuser sag, optical/mechanical axis misalignment all the stories you folks probably have heard are all true.  But, I didn't give up.  I learned how to collimate it, got a better focuser and a tilt plate.  Literally took me years to get it working.  Still not perfect by any means.  I get angry with it every now and then and back in the closet it goes.  The death blow has been the acquisition of a 115mm refractor which out resolves it at only twice the rc6 investment.  So now it's patiently waiting to be put up on the auction block.

But regret buying it?  No, it's been fun for the price point and a great learning experience.

Now, there was this piece of software called windows... 😏

Similar to @dantro, it’s taken some time to get my Tak FC100 setup working well. The carbon fibre tripod I had originally was just not up to the job for high power. It’s only really since getting a Berleback Uni 18 that I’ve really been able to use it properly at high power. The MEF3 focuser upgrade, added recently, has been another big improvement to making it more enjoyable to use. I still notice some CA with it which I’m never quite been able to determine if the amount I see is normal or if there’s perhaps some small misalignment somewhere. I don’t regret the Tak but it’s been a journey rather than love at first sight. My 10” dob knocks it out of the park for deep sky but the sharpness and overall presentation in the Tak is much nicer. Reflectors and refractors are companions rather than competitors for me. I think I’ll always want to have at least one of each. 

My biggest regret is a secondhand eyepiece purchase from last year which arrived with an issue and still isn’t sorted 9 months on. Would love to go back in time to stop myself buying that one. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I’m not sure if it could be classed as a regret, but my first scope was a 12” Meade LX200 SCT. I was interested in the night sky and I knew my uncle had bought the scope several years before but he hadn’t used it in a while. I asked him if I could borrow it, and he said yes, as long as I promised never to return it (maybe alarm bells should have gone off then but they didn’t!). I was so excited when it arrived in a massive pirate chest, with a rusty tripod. The mount’s electronics didn’t work but the OTA itself had been stored well and was in very good condition. That thing nearly killed me, and my dad was worse. We had to carry it up three high, awkward steps to a grass patch at the back of the house every time I wanted to use it, and it was massive. I hadn’t a clue what I was doing, it was on a wedge but I had no idea what it was for or how to polar align it. If I had only taken it off the wedge I might have had some hope but it beat me in the end and went back into the pirate chest. 

I ended up getting a 127 Mak and I had a great time with that and my astronomy obsession took off. So it isn’t a regret really, my regret is not making the most of it although even now I think I would find it a challenge to use. I have stuck with small scopes ever since, although I did get a 12” truss tube dob for Christmas that is a doddle to handle compared with the LX200.

Below is a photo of me the first day I set up the scope. I cringe a bit when I look at it now but that was the day I really started on my astronomy journey.

IMG_4555_Original.jpeg.b13ea472aa8f9dd56573a43508d873b0.jpeg

Hi Nicola, that is certainly a big scope! 

• Thanks 1

Whatever I have regretted, I have let it go or made it work. It is a learning curve.

In terms of purchases, I always try to avoid overlaps, unless testing is involved in order to let something go.

• Like 1

You can live with regrets or just admit that at that point in the past you took the best decision based on your available knowledge and experience.

In other words, today's decisions could become tomorrow's regrets. It happens, but if you are afraid of that, chances are that you don't take any decision..

Edited by Piero
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

You must have had a hard time reaching the eyepiece with the tripod legs extended like that Nicola.

I don't have much I regret buying because I tend to research things to death and then  procrastinate about it and think it around again  and again. So when I eventually buy things they tend to do or achieve what I expected.

My problem is opportunities missed on the second hand circuit because of the above characteristics.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

You must have had a hard time reaching the eyepiece with the tripod legs extended like that Nicola.

I agree - I don’t remember much about the observing experience other than the moon was incredible through it. I didn’t use a stepladder but I don’t think I had trouble reaching the eyepiece. I think something about the perspective of the photo is off because it looks taller and the scope looks smaller than I remember. I’d say I only set it up 3 or 4 times in total.

• Like 1

Biggest regret so far I think was buying an 8 inch Helios reflector on a sky scan 2001 (eq3-2) mount with a flimsy aluminium tripod, shaky as you might imagine, which was a shame as the tube itself provided good views, but it was unbearable on that mount. Also, selling my Nexstar 4SE, it was my first "proper" scope and performed very well for its size,  had better views of Saturn and Jupiter than my current Skymax 127 with it, although I think partly that was down to luck with seeing conditions.

I also regret my bank balance not suiting my aspirations for kit 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All my Astro regrets are to do with scopes & items I've sold TBH. Its that fatal floor of thinking you want something different and needing the funds to get there!.

Sale regrets include : Orion SPX 200 f6 (Planet views were jaw dropping, but really needed an EQ6 mount.. should of just saved for an EQ6!). White tube custom ETX 125 with machined metal rear plate & SCT thread. somewhere around 2005. Really nice optics. Celestron ED80, WO SD66 & WO ZS66 Petzval Both models when they were first released, Celestron C8 starbright coatings black tube with feathertouch focuser. 

Clearly I've been in the hobby a long time!! :)

Rob

Edited by Rob
  • Like 3

A slight regret maybe...I got engaged in May 2022, and part of the deal was an engagement telescope ! Of course I wanted a big newt and so I settled on an Altair 200mm F5. The minor detail is that i had slipped 3 discs in my neck in April 2022 and was completely in denial about how long my recovery was going to take. 

So I tried on and off to use this scope, i got great images. Modified it and loved it. However I used to suffer terribly with neck pain in the days after using it. 

I bought an astro tuff truk to help, and things were great for a while, until all this wet weather turned my garden into a bog!

Anyway i've just sold the 200 and bought an Altair 150mm F4 newt. Instantly easier on my neck and producing lovely images. I regret not selling the 200 sooner...but we live and learn :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

I think a lot of people lament spending significant amount of funds on equipment they can hardly use. It's no good sitting there indoors.

I suppose that is a good reason to post reports on SGL when you do get a chance to use the kit. Then at least you can look back and realise how good it is when a chance does come along to use it. 

A few weeks back (last time there was any clear sky 🙄) I observed Jupiter with my Tak 100mm and, rather unusually, made a couple of sketches of what I could see. During the cloudy weather we have had since then I can at least look at those from time to time and remind myself what that long white tube shaped thing in the cupboard can actually do when it gets the chance 😁

• Like 6

22 hours ago, dantro said:

I regret the purchase of  an AZ5 and heavy duty carbon fiber tripod for my FC-100DC.  Total weight dropped from ~32 to ~22 pounds with new mount and tripod, but settling time increased to to the point of bothersome when focusing or touching the eyepiece.  The combination looks very nice and is easy to carry in one piece. The mount is well built and works well with slow-mo controls, but stability with the refractor especially at higher powers is a real disappointment. 

That's interesting.  I usually run my refractors with a ScopeTech Zero on an Innorel RT90C (carbon), but I have an AZ5 that I use now and then.  The max practical weight limit with my scopes was 11-12 pounds.  I'll have to put the AZ5 back on the 90C and see how it does with my ST102.  (What I really need to do is take notes when I try different combos so I don't repeat my "experiments".)

• Like 1