Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova remnant SNR G156.2+5.7

gorann

This is a large but very faint SNR in Auriga. It appears to be very rarely imaged, and I could only find four images of it on Astrobin.

Even more rarely imaged is the small planetary nebula in the bottom middle. This image may be the first disclosing a central Oiii signal in that PN. Aladin and the HASH data base tells me it is PN KN 36. I could not immediately find out what (who) "KN" refers to, maybe someone can tell me.

This is the first data I have collected in 2024, and the first for a month as both clouds and the moon has conspired against me. It was  taken during a very cold (-25°C) night with 40 cm snow on the ground, which unfortunately brightens up the night even without a moon. So my SQM was 20.3, and not the 21.6 I can get on a moonless night without snow on the ground. The next night was also clear but then the temperature fell to -29°C and I decided against opening up the obsy for the well being of both me and the equipment. It was taken with my dual-RASA rig so I could collect a fair amount of data in one night.

260 x 5 min, so nearly 22 h with RASA8 with ASI2600MC and NBZ filter so Oiii and Ha. Processed in PI and PS with the XT tools of course.

20240104-5G156RASA12PS18smallSign.thumb.jpg.0d3bfe0090d040ce6493aaf036668f56.jpg

Here is a crop of the small PN KN 36. Something for someone to aim at with a longer focal length telescope.

20240104-5G156RASA12cropfromPS36PNKN36PS1(NXT033)copy.jpg.a037f2fe32c80aed97b9ee49ab5c2abb.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 26

I’m impressed anyone had some clear skies. Also, the image isn’t too bad 👏

Thats a very dramatic looking object, if anything looks like the death and remnants of a star, then this is it, nicely processed and framed goran!

What’s the object near to the top right, at first I thought it was a galaxy but zooming in it looks to me a bit like an LBN object? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

I’m impressed anyone had some clear skies. Also, the image isn’t too bad 👏

Thats a very dramatic looking object, if anything looks like the death and remnants of a star, then this is it, nicely processed and framed goran!

What’s the object near to the top right, at first I thought it was a galaxy but zooming in it looks to me a bit like an LBN object? 

Thanks Chris! It is "just" a star but it appears to create some reflection nebulosity.

I actually had another clear night until midnight tonight and it was only a merely -23°C so I went for it. Hopefully something to stack, process and post tomorrow. We have really had some extreme cold up here in Scandinavia for the last week.

CS, Göran

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomato said:

That’s a great image, I can only imagine what it must be like trying to operate kit under those conditions…

At least Goran can see the sky.... 22 hours is about the same as I have managed since the end of the summer.

But I have to agree, it is a stunning image. Great colour.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, tomato said:

That’s a great image, I can only imagine what it must be like trying to operate kit under those conditions…

Thanks a lot Steve! Yes, we have Siberian air coming down over Scandinavia. In northernmost Sweden they reported -43°C. I skipped one night when it was -29°C and even if it was only -22°C last night one of my laptops said "Temperature Shutdown" even if it was sitting on a car seat heater, so I could not image with the piggybacking Samyang, but got RASA data. Temperature should increase in a couple of days but so will clouds🤪

Edited by gorann

8 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

At least Goran can see the sky.... 22 hours is about the same as I have managed since the end of the summer.

But I have to agree, it is a stunning image. Great colour.

Thanks a lot Clarkey! That is why @tomato and I have double rigs😅

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laurin Dave said:

Cracking image Goran..  a bit chilly 🥶 up your way 

Dave

Thanks Dave! Yes, but rather cold weather than cloudy skies😁

• Like 1

Wow! What an awesome image! You’re right of course, this is a rare object to capture. May I ask what mount do you use? And how do you prevent everything freezing over at those temperatures? 

• Thanks 1

Nice one Göran!

That does sound cold! We've got it "cold" for a bit now - it's forecast -3 tonight! Last night was our first full clear night here in W Wales since the summer...   and I was away in London! Hopefully one or two more in the next few days.

As for KN...  I found an old paper referencing another PN called Kn 61, which includes this - "Originally found by Matthias Kronberger, a member of an amateur astronomy group known as the Deep Sky Hunters (DSH)"

https://phys.org/news/2011-07-discovery-planetary-nebula.html

2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Even with a dual rig. That's a lot of exposure time!

Shows though, that's an incredible image!

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

Nice! -26 !  I moan at +1!

35 minutes ago, JonHigh said:

Wow! What an awesome image! You’re right of course, this is a rare object to capture. May I ask what mount do you use? And how do you prevent everything freezing over at those temperatures? 

19 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Amazing images Goran.

And you are a warrior for braving -25ºc   Respect.

11 minutes ago, Fegato said:

Nice one Göran!

That does sound cold! We've got it "cold" for a bit now - it's forecast -3 tonight! Last night was our first full clear night here in W Wales since the summer...   and I was away in London! Hopefully one or two more in the next few days.

As for KN...  I found an old paper referencing another PN called Kn 61, which includes this - "Originally found by Matthias Kronberger, a member of an amateur astronomy group known as the Deep Sky Hunters (DSH)"

https://phys.org/news/2011-07-discovery-planetary-nebula.html

Thanks a lot guys for your nice words!

I use a Mesu 200 Mk I for this rig. Maybe friction mounts are less sensitive to temperature - it did not make any odd sounds, acturally Mesu 200 makes virtually no sounds at all at any time. And thanks Robin for maybe solving the KN mystery!