Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion, Monoceros and more- 42 panel mosaic.

14 minutes ago, step_hen said:

Wow. So much to see. Amazing work Olly and team. I've just bought a Samyang 135!

Stephen 

Good choice. Combined with Star Xterminator or Starnett++ it is a real demon. Do not buy the Wega adapter. It is junk.

Olly

• Like 1

Marvellous image Olly..  I think you need to get it printed up and placed on the side wall of Les Granges!  Great detail at full res... spotted a little Crab, a trace of  Spaghetti plus countless more objects which this image places in context.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Marvellous image Olly..  I think you need to get it printed up and placed on the side wall of Les Granges!  Great detail at full res... spotted a little Crab, a trace of  Spaghetti plus countless more objects which this image places in context.

Dave

More pasta would be nice but, unfortunately, it really doesn't show well in OSC. You never can tell. Some Ha targets come out in a blaze of light but a few play hard to get and we don't have a NB option at present.

I was curious about the substantial nebula below the Monkey Head. Large and bright, I had no idea what it was and had to ask Paul. It's Sh2-261 and it gets next to no attention. I found this nicely done, archived image on here and, again, the comments express the same surprise and unfamiliarity. I certainly think we should do it in the RASA and blend it in here, too. 

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Sh2-261
  • Like 1

Phew, relieved to see you didn’t pick up the Spaghetti  Nebula in all it’s glory or else I would be selling up now.😉

A wondrous image, as always.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely tremendous image Olly and co 👏

The colour and depth is superb, and this must be APOD worthy surely. I agree with the Wow emoji sentiments! 

Ive never noticed before how the cone nebula with its surrounds looks a bit like the head of a flower, with the stem running down to the rosette.

I suppose this is the extension you were on about in an earlier post. What’s next, up to the Pleiades or down to the Seagull! You must have enough data for a “northern hemisphere” mosaic by now 🤣

• Haha 1

Well this is just ridiculous…

An absolutely incredible image. So much to see and so much depth. Wonderful stuff. 

Edited by Mal22
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Another stunner sir ... :happy7:

What's the dark nebula with 'eyes' in the top-right corner ? , it reminded me immediately of the Black rabbit from Watership Down .

image.png.090083b0f5ff7a8db204f747abb5648e.png

I'll look into this...

Olly

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Another stunner sir ... :happy7:

What's the dark nebula with 'eyes' in the top-right corner ? , it reminded me immediately of the Black rabbit from Watership Down .

image.png.090083b0f5ff7a8db204f747abb5648e.png

Paul spotted your question, Steve, and emailed me with this information:

The nebula at the top right of O2M is a combination of several LDNs - 1534, 1532, 1528, 1527 and the lower "eye" is IC 2087.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Paul spotted your question, Steve, and emailed me with this information:

The nebula at the top right of O2M is a combination of several LDNs - 1534, 1532, 1528, 1527 and the lower "eye" is IC 2087.

Olly

Thank you sir , and Paul ... :icon_salut:

• Like 1

Just on the question of the Sy135’s (and the RASA8) amazing ability to capture this much signal in 2 hrs, I’m wondering just how much your dark sky contributes to this. I’ve just watched a video on the AIC about remote imaging in Chile, the sky at the site records a SQM of 22, from memory your location is not far from this?

20 hours ago, tomato said:

Phew, relieved to see you didn’t pick up the Spaghetti  Nebula in all it’s glory or else I would be selling up now.😉

A wondrous image, as always.

Confession time: I hadn't realized that the frame included the Spaghetti.  On reading your comment, I tracked down an old horse-drawn computer on which I had 33x15 minutes of Canon 200L Ha data. Just the job! Here we go:

spacer.png

Big one here: https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Emission-Nebulae/i-Tqb6kBP/A

Olly

• Like 10