NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion, Monoceros and more- 42 panel mosaic.

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Just on the question of the Sy135’s (and the RASA8) amazing ability to capture this much signal in 2 hrs, I’m wondering just how much your dark sky contributes to this. I’ve just watched a video on the AIC about remote imaging in Chile, the sky at the site records a SQM of 22, from memory your location is not far from this?

We hit SQM22 several times a year but it's not our default, so to speak. We regard anything less than 21.5 as sub standard but workable down to about 21, depending on the project.

The only place I've ever imaged is here, so I really don't know how our site compares. I do think it would be hard to beat in mainland Europe. Two guys from the professional observatory to our south said they wish they could swap sites with me. :grin: They still managed to discover the first exo-planet, though.

Olly

• Thanks 1

Truly an amazing image Olly. What I really like about it is that it puts everything into perspective, it shows where objects, that we know so well, are in relation to each other and their size. It always amazes me how big some of these objects are. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Truly an amazing image Olly. What I really like about it is that it puts everything into perspective, it shows where objects, that we know so well, are in relation to each other and their size. It always amazes me how big some of these objects are. 

That's the fun of it, I think. You do need to bear in mind, though, that there are distortions of proportion inherent in rendering a curved reality onto a flat picture. Don't take relative sizes as gospel but as approximations.

Olly

The imager (John Hayes), visited his set up at the site in Chile and declared it to be the darkest site he has ever seen, and he is familiar with the remote imaging locations in the US. 
Based on that Olly I agree that you must be at one of the best dark locations in Europe, your images are also testament to that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Another stunner sir ... :happy7:

What's the dark nebula with 'eyes' in the top-right corner ? , it reminded me immediately of the Black rabbit from Watership Down .

image.png.090083b0f5ff7a8db204f747abb5648e.png

This is the dark nebulae surrounding IC2087 in Taurus and part of the Taurus DN Complex. It is made up of a number of LDN objects.

Core of M42 is blown out, 4/10 must try harder 🤣

In all seriousness, I keep coming back here just to have another look, there's just so much going on I don't think it can be fully appreciated in a single visit.

Also interesting to see the proximity of the spaghetti nebula to Orion. I don't really know where I thought it was, but it was nowhere near there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Darke said:

This is the dark nebulae surrounding IC2087 in Taurus and part of the Taurus DN Complex. It is made up of a number of LDN objects.

Thanks Graham , Mr P answered the question yesterday ... :icon_salut:

12 hours ago, harry page said:

Hi

well thats just not fair - we in the uk will never ever get enough imaging time to do that :)

Regards

Harry

Hello Harry! It's been a while. You need to come and see us...

Olly

37 minutes ago, harry page said:

Hi

well if you dont retire before me perhapes I will make it there :)

Harry

I live in a permanent state of semi-retirement, Harry. There's a lot to be said for it!

Olly