NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Balancing a dob for use with 1kg+ eps's

I read a lot of posts from folk asking about upgrades before they have even got their telescope. I’d say slow down and get used to used to using it because only then can you make a judgement call on what is right for you. There is a good chance you might not need to spend more ££.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 09/12/2023 at 21:34, Spile said:

I read a lot of posts from folk asking about upgrades before they have even got their telescope. I’d say slow down and get used to used to using it because only then can you make a judgement call on what is right for you. There is a good chance you might not need to spend more ££.

I am for sure one of those people, however, people have recommended weights more than once so it seemed like a good idea, given that there are options which are fairly cheap if one goes down the ‘not specifically for the telescope’ route  I thought it might be good to be prepared

2.5 Kg counterweight held on with industrial 2" Velcro. 

I have it on the underside to counter balance both the eyepiece and finders which are on the top.

DSC_0316_DxO1200.jpg.37960332ae4d386d0ae88c8064e87b88.jpg

DSC_0187_DxO1200.jpg.09ce007b106f1e7bcbd700503870fb97.jpg

Only a light weight eyepiece here, but put a x4 Powermate and 30mm UFF on there and it's some serious weight :smile:

• Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 10:31, Mr Spock said:

2.5 Kg counterweight held on with industrial 2" Velcro. 

I have it on the underside to counter balance both the eyepiece and finders which are on the top.

DSC_0316_DxO1200.jpg.37960332ae4d386d0ae88c8064e87b88.jpg

DSC_0187_DxO1200.jpg.09ce007b106f1e7bcbd700503870fb97.jpg

Only a light weight eyepiece here, but put a x4 Powermate and 30mm UFF on there and it's some serious weight :smile:

Out of interest, where do you fix the scope to the base using the adjusters with that weight? I wasn’t sure but noticed when I had the scope down as far as possible it was tail heavy and had to crank the tension up . I have only had it for a week so am still figuring things out….

Edited by DAT

I had both my 8” and 12” SL dobsonian scopes set at the maximum adjustment of the fulcrum for rear heavy and I still required a movable counterweight. I simply moved the counterweight to compensate for whatever weight I put on the front.

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

This balances with a normal eyepiece. Anything else needs the weight attaching.

DSC_0188_DxO1200.jpg.d77a72091872db0b240e4152014c58e8.jpg

That’s where I set my balance point as well which as you say works for a standard eyepiece. I had a Telrad and Starsense unit on mine which most definitely required the counterweight.

I used a Rigel Quikfinder on my 12 inch dob to keep the upper end weight down, knowing that my taste in eyepieces is a touch on the heavy side 😉

Edited by John
  • Haha 1

Looking at the pictures I am not sure, Am I doing the opposite? Should I have the tube “pushed “ all the way ”up”?Whilst we are here, I am also curious about where people are putting the Telrad. I have seen many choose to put it between the right angled finder and focuser which makes perfect sense. However, as you can see from the picture, there is no way I can do that. It’s going to have to go to the right of the finder…

Am loving the dob as I had never even looked through one before-finally crystal clear images that stay still! The only thing I miss about my previous scope is the shorter focal length which coupled with the same low mag eps gave wider views of clusters like M45. I am hoping to get to an astronomy club to see if  a 40mm will work well enough …IMG_1247.thumb.jpeg.313a6d09ad456abaea32e266469888df.jpegIMG_1248.thumb.jpeg.53595f9cb4d4d139139a2029995877df.jpeg

Edited by DAT

I tried between the RACI and focuser but because I had to place it so far back, it didn’t work for me even with the extra height adapter. The other side of the focuser was much better but it necessitated moving to the other side of the OTA. Ive since made a shoe that means I can finally use a 3 way dovetail and use the EP, RACI and Telrad from the same position. 
spacer.png

8 hours ago, Spile said:

I tried between the RACI and focuser but because I had to place it so far back, it didn’t work for me even with the extra height adapter. The other side of the focuser was much better but it necessitated moving to the other side of the OTA. Ive since made a shoe that means I can finally use a 3 way dovetail and use the EP, RACI and Telrad from the same position. 
spacer.png

That’s a cool little modification! I have gone for the other on the finder. I a. Finding the telrad so useful though that the finder is not getting used that much.

Moving around the hat isn’t too bad for me at the moment, I am getting more hung up by my poor collimation skills

When I've had a 2 finder setup I've tried to postion the finders so that I can move my eye as easily as possible from the illuminated reticule finder (Rigel in my case) to the optical finder and then to the eyepiece with minimal movement. 

The additional room on the tube of a 12 inch (Orion Optics in this case) helps.

dobtopp5mm.JPG.b97caca5f6618896a198e71c929e706e.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, John said:

When I've had a 2 finder setup I've tried to postion the finders so that I can move my eye as easily as possible from the illuminated reticule finder (Rigel in my case) to the optical finder and then to the eyepiece with minimal movement. 

The additional room on the tube of a 12 inch (Orion Optics in this case) helps.

dobtopp5mm.JPG.b97caca5f6618896a198e71c929e706e.JPG

Exactly what I do as well.