Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

YouTube Channels? Anyone?

I have recently gotten into astronomy*, and I am wondering if there are any real good YouTube channels out there to help beginners with information and recommendations.

I already know of

Ed Ting (my personal favorite)

Damon Scotting (funny bloke with a nice personality)

AstroBackyard

nebula photos

and astrobiscut

Have you guys got any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited by JackW07

Mystic Meg. Joking aside all the previous recommendations you have been given are similar to mine. I generally use YouTube on a topic basis in that I refer to the subject and not the channel per se. There’s so many out there now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Astrobiscuit (aka SGL’er @rorymultistorey), Ed Ting and Adriano Lolli (verbal dialogue* is Italian🇮🇹) are my YouTube favourites.

* YouTube translator can change the subtitles dialogue to your locale in the YT settings.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL

3 hours ago, doublevodka said:

Astrobiscuit, astro la vista and Cuiv the lazy geek

Have to admit though, Ed Ting is probably my favourite and he puts out a lot of videos 👍 (sorry Rory and Chris in case you happen upon this thread 😂)

Ed Ting thinks we're all made of money, like he is. The total value of his scopes together is worth more than my house. A good example is his video on eyepieces he recommends, which are both top of the range Televues.

I recently discovered SarahMaths Astro who has some really good beginner tutorials on astrophotography with basic equipment. She explains literally every step in the process very clearly including Siril processing.

• Like 3

I'm a huge Ed Ting fan. I have read his web site for over a decade now and watched quite a few of his videos. I've taken some of his recommendations on scopes and found them spot on.

I have watched a few others but Ed is unmatched IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You pretty much picked the best ones, Ed Ting is my favorite. Though you may want to have a look at Star Stuff, love his intro. I’ll include a link o one of my favorite videos of his, a tribute to a special figure in astronomy.

Edited by Sunshine

8 hours ago, Bugdozer said:

Ed Ting thinks we're all made of money, like he is. The total value of his scopes together is worth more than my house. A good example is his video on eyepieces he recommends, which are both top of the range Televues.

I recently discovered SarahMaths Astro who has some really good beginner tutorials on astrophotography with basic equipment. She explains literally every step in the process very clearly including Siril processing.

There is definitely an element of that with him being a massive Takahashi and Televue fanboy 😂 A wander round his house would be the astronomers equivalent of going to Toys R Us as a kid 😂

But then again, his most recommended scope is an 8 inch dob, I do enjoy his vids even though I'll probably never afford to buy most of the kit he shows

His website is pretty handy too - https://www.scopereviews.com/

• Like 3

Most of my favourites focus on processing in Pixinsight.  Adam Block obviously stands out.  I have also been watching a lot of the videos made by Sascha Wyss in the View into Space channel.  I enjoy Cuiv the Lazy Geek vids too.  They make me chuckle. 

19 hours ago, Bugdozer said:

I second this. I'm primarily visual, but wanted to use my DSLR just so I can share some with family and friends. I have a C8SE and bought a piggyback mount. Her videos are great.

• Like 1

I have been following the Small Optics channel for a long time, presented by a very pleasant gentleman named Jason. It has an enormous number and variety of videos on all kinds of practical topics in amateur astronomy, from reviews of new features to how to locate X object in the sky, through explanations of how this works or what that is for, etc., with the common denominator of always talk about "small optics", or, in other words, economical and affordable for any pocket.

For me, Trevor’s Astrobackyard channel was the most important one for me in my first year, and I continue to look forward to his videos. Really well made, nice guy and he explains things really clearly. 

Astrobiscuit is also excellent. Dylan O’Donnell is very good and funny and he posts regularly. Nebula Photos has a great way of explaining things too. 

I follow most of the channels recommended by others in this feed and they all have their benefits, but these are my top 4. 

Edited by Mal22

Agree with all of the above !

A few others I like ...

AZ4runner

Icemanastro

Galactic hunter

Astrobloke

Delta astrophotography 

Northern panorama

James lamb

Your favourite astro-nerd

The narrowband channel

And a couple of newer ones, youngsters that remind me of early Trevor Jones.

ORyanastro

Astrotan

Man I watch a lot of you tube 🤣

In my defense it's always cloudy in Essex!

3 minutes ago, knobby said:

Agree with all of the above !

A few others I like ...

AZ4runner

Icemanastro

Galactic hunter

Astrobloke

Delta astrophotography 

Northern panorama

James lamb

Your favourite astro-nerd

The narrowband channel

And a couple of newer ones, youngsters that remind me of early Trevor Jones.

ORyanastro

Astrotan

Man I watch a lot of you tube 🤣

In my defense it's always cloudy in Essex!

Yep! I’m in Rayleigh, Essex and I spend a lot more time watching videos of people doing my hobby than actually doing it myself because of the weather. 

Still, it keeps it special when a clear night does roll around. 

• Like 1