Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime occultation of Venus by the Moon

Gfamily

I know the pinned post from @Stu suggests that this forum is for 'less predictable' events, but looking at other threads, I see that's a guideline rather than a rule (apologies). 

Just to flag up that there's a daytime occultation of Venus by the Moon on the morning of Thursday 9th November. In my location it starts at about 9.40am and Venus will re-emerge about an hour later. 

Totally predictable and totally off topic, but might be of interest if people are free. Helpfully, Venus will be easy to find just beforehand as the Moon will be right next to it :)  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Sounds like a cool event to check out!

Just out of curiosity, does aperture make a difference in catching something like this in day light? I tried to point my Mak 127 to the Moon during the day, but it was very underwhelming. Would I be able to see Venus?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

Sounds like a cool event to check out!

Just out of curiosity, does aperture make a difference in catching something like this in day light? I tried to point my Mak 127 to the Moon during the day, but it was very underwhelming. Would I be able to see Venus?

Yes, Venus should be easily visible - and I suspect that the surface brightness may be even brighter than the Moon's occulting edge*

*The moon's surface is fairly dark - with an albedo of about 12% it's similar to used asphalt in reflectivity - whereas Venus' clouds have a much higher albedo, reflecting up to 70% of the Sun's light.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gfamily said:

I know the pinned post from @Stu suggests that this forum is for 'less predictable' events, but looking at other threads, I see that's a guideline rather than a rule (apologies). 

Just to flag up that there's a daytime occultation of Venus by the Moon on the morning of Thursday 9th November. In my location it starts at about 9.40am and Venus will re-emerge about an hour later. 

Totally predictable and totally off topic, but might be of interest if people are free. Helpfully, Venus will be easy to find just beforehand as the Moon will be right next to it :)  

Not at all off topic. I’ll have a look at the pinned post and amend as necessary because this is just the kind of thing to be posted here. I partly had my solar hat on when writing it I think, considering things like unexpected solar flares but to be honest, any event with observing whether predictable or not is welcome here. The idea is to follow the forum so you get alerts for any new posts for things to see.

I’m looking forward to this one, although I’ll work on the basis that it will definitely be hissing down with rain, and then just hope that the weather gods are kind instead! 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Certainly worth looking out for.

But, so sure am I that weather, pestilence, locusts, extinction event etc... will intefere, I've created a world class video of the event using HNSky on my coal fired Ubuntu lappy. Most of my astronomy is online these days so..Enjoy!! :)

PS. the middle 35 seconds is soooo boring...

Edited by Paul M

13 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I've created a world class video of the event using HNSky on my coal fired Ubuntu lappy. Most of my astronomy is online these days so..Enjoy!! :)

PS. the middle 35 seconds is soooo boring...

Lol - I was going to say "Oh, and look out for the grazing occultation of that star (HD104864) " - but ...

1.  it's only 10th magnitude 
  2. it's a blooming daytime occultation. 

Probably not then. 

• Haha 2

Where I am, at 9.35 West and 51.485 North, it's touch-and-go whether Venus will be occulted at all. SkySafari suggests it will JUST dip below the Lunar disc. My own calculations suggest that it will _not quite_ touch it.* This will be my own version of the Einstein/Eddington moment 🤣🤣.

Hopefully, if SS wins and I Iose, I won't be condemned to the same fate as the losers in a certain Chinese Astronomy Competition (see Ferdinand Verbiest )!!!

I intend to set up a handful of scopes on the Pier in Baltimore Harbour and get those in my local astronomy group to be able to see it through a scope (so far most don't have one). I'm praying for no cloud.

Magnus

* the same difference as between the meanings of the word "amper" in Dutch and in Afrikaans, I've been led to believe. In one, "amper" means "nearly", in the other, "only just". Quite a difference when you apply it to the act of falling off a cliff.

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Curt @CentaurZ is your graze map a map of the locus-edge of where one can expect “just a touch” or a momentary full immersion?

Magnus

The graze line shows locations where the center of Venus will be momentarily on the lunar limb. Below is my data for your location regarding the center of Venus relative to the Moon. It appears as though the Moon will just barely cover all of Venus for you. Your observational report would be appreciated.

OCIreland.JPG.5ebf8a8f227923b883888f864038f55b.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Unfortunately, weather outlook not very good in Derbyshire.

John 

Ditto here John, or rather delightful Dartford where I will be in the morning for my sins….

It does seem likely that many of us will struggle to see both ingress and egress, but if you're in the UK in a location where the weather deities aren't paying attention, the Moon will be more or less due South at about 9:20 with an altitude of ~40 degrees above the horizon - the Occultation starts some time between 9:30 and 9:40 depending on where you are. image.thumb.png.9e60304af7c6a3990e623b0961616957.png