Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is Astrophotography in the UK Pointless?

Stuf1978

There's some great responses here chaps, it's all greatly appreciated. I've never know a hobby that's so equally rewarding and frustrating in equal measures.

As others have mentioned this year has been particularly awful which hasn't helped with my mojo in the slightest. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

There's some great responses here chaps, it's all greatly appreciated. I've never know a hobby that's so equally rewarding and frustrating in equal measures.

As others have mentioned this year has been particularly awful which hasn't helped with my mojo in the slightest. 

Personally I find that an interest in visual astronomy helps. Let’s face it there are only a few nights on which clear skies, opportunity and enthusiasm align to make imaging really worthwhile. But there are probably more nights on which patches of clear between the clouds coincide with a half hour or so opportunity to get out there with the mark 1 eyeball and a pair of bins. On even  clearer nights, but not “imaging clear”,  or perhaps rain threatens in an hour or two, I like to get the telescope out. Recently I have found that using the ASIair to control the mount, and the guide scope to plate solve and point the telescope dead centre at the object of interest, has been a great boost to my enthusiasm for visual astronomy.   GOTO is good, but not as good as GOTO plus plate-solving.  Oh, and you can do a bit of EAA too, which is imaging of a sort. 

• Like 1

If good data and lots of it is what you are after then selling up and renting a remote rig would seem to make sense, but I still like communing with the equipment too much to go that route. I kind of derive some weird enjoyment from getting a half decent image from the UK, our weather is yet another AP challenge that has to be overcome.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

We had some clear skies last week, and I captured 50+ hours on IC1396, 46 of which are good and usable.  I have the opposite problem in that I capture data but dont get around to processing it!  I had a look on my hard drive and I have unprocessed data on the following, somewhere in the region of 300 hours, 10k+ subs I'm sure. 

WHAT! My brain wouldn’t allow me to do this….if I have it, I have to finish it, process it, and move on 🤣 Fair play, that’s a lot of data for cloudy nights….in fact this years “summer” would have been ideal to process it ! If you post them up, can’t wait to see them all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It makes life a lot easier if you have a permanent setup.  Setup and teardown is just a fag, and disturbing the image train from one set of exposures to the next just adds pointless issues that have to be sorted.  Having a permanent setup, which only needs waterproof covers to be viable, means that one can work on reliability:  I used to sit through 5 hours of 600 second exposures ready with the toolbox for emergency surgery.  Now I can set the cams running, go to bed, sleep through (most of) it and process data the next day.  And  this with home made kit: its just a matter of tackling the next bottleneck that is holding you back. 

I'm in London so rubbish Bortles, but I have found narrowband can blast through light pollution and pretty mucky skies: not a star visible but the cameras returning acceptable exposures.  SHO is worth experimenting with if you have never tried it.

I also think the UK cadence of cloud and clear skies is not so bad!  4 -5 days on the trot of astronomy nights brings out my inner zombie so not too many of those is desirable. My target is one imaging project per month - data collection to 'final' product.  This year has been pretty dodgy weather so far, but I have actually done more, and better, than any year to date!

So: never give in, never surrender!

Simon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Veloman said:

Well, this isn't reassuring. Here am I thinking of investing in suitable equipment for starting out in AP and now I'm not so certain that it's worth it....

Rob

Rob, if you look back through the moans on this forum it’s a wonder anyone is still practicing this hobby. People here (me too) will moan about the weather whichever way it swings. It’s a great hobby. You’ll get frustrated and elated all. In the same evening. USB cables will have rude words uttered on a regular basis but you’ll gaze at that image as the detail unfolds before you and all the woes will vanish…

Until the next night…

Dip in with some used kit first to get the hang of things. If you get hooked then start emptying the piggy bank.

• Like 1

I went through this exact scenario a number of months back and did actually sell some of my core AP kit.  I just didn't see the point anymore.

Cut to a few weeks back however and I started getting the itch again so purchased some new equipment, slightly smaller and lighter than my last which makes it less of a chore to setup (I too do not have an obsy......the wife won't let me 🫥)

Still haven't been able to really use it in anger though due to all of the issues mentioned in this thread 😆

Stick with it! 

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Having a permanent set up must make all the difference though.  

Sorry to read of the frustrations with tne hobby in tne UK. I've never known a week of sucessive clear nights to image under and don't think I'd have the stamina to stay up consistently into the wee hours. 

As regards an observatory unless you fully automate it you need to be awake to open and close it! Maybe better to have arrangements in place as other have said to be quickly able to set up alightweight rig in a pre-marked location? I think if you have the passion, (t's in the word amateur) try diversifying to overcome the lack of long, clear night skies-solar imaging, EAA, meteor imaging, lunar imaging, double stars. One weather defying hobby is detecting meteors with an sdr radio and diy parts from Wickes or B&Q. Having an alternative, quick set up rig means you can get out under the stars and Moon or the Sun and take images; or try a pait of 10 x 50 binoculars and see more objects on one night than ever before. I have wondered if the Dwarf 2 and SeeStar units would be useful for less than perfect nights? Certainly they will help pay for new children's ponies ar FLO this Christmas.

Hope you can keep on in there. 👍

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

As regards an observatory unless you fully automate it you need to be awake to open and close it!

I open mine in the evening, and close it when I wake up for work in the morning, occasionally I'll get up in the middle of the night to check things, if I'm concerned about something.  Not in any way comparable to setting up and tearing down a rig each time you want to image though

Well the thread has certainly prompted some discussion on the merits of astrophotography as a whole but I think we can all agree when it all comes together there's nothing more rewarding. 

There's opinions going both ways so it hasn't really helped my dilemma 😂 I guess I should really see what this winter brings and take it from there unless I have an overnight epiphany 😂

13 hours ago, Veloman said:

Well, this isn't reassuring. Here am I thinking of investing in suitable equipment for starting out in AP and now I'm not so certain that it's worth it....

Rob

Depends on your definition of "worth". :) 

Jim 

It has its detractors and yes, images won't measure up to a top of the line set-up, but maybe consider a Seestar?  From what I've read, set-up time is minimal and the portability would lend itself to essentially quick, grab-n-go AP.  Cuiv posted a YT of some post-processing and the results looked pretty good.  But I'm not an imager, so...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I open mine in the evening, and close it when I wake up for work in the morning, occasionally I'll get up in the middle of the night to check things, if I'm concerned about something.  Not in any way comparable to setting up and tearing down a rig each time you want to image though

Do you have a rain alarm? 

4 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Do you have a rain alarm? 

Yes I do, I bought a hitec astro cloud sensor/rain detector that is connected to my dome. However I don’t think it works (it doesn’t) and I make sensible decisions based on various forecasts instead. I have an ASC that I monitor from my phone (via a webpage) and if I see any clouds forming I be more vigilant. 

Edited by tooth_dr

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Yes I do, I bought a hitec astro cloud sensor/rain detector that is connected to my dome. However I don’t think it works (it doesn’t) and I make sensible decisions based on various forecasts instead. I have an ASC that I monitor from my phone (via a webpage) and if I see any clouds forming I be more vigilant. 

OK.  Yes, I use websites that show rain radar. If there’s some  heading my way I go and cover the scope.

Someone should develop an App that uses the rain radar data to sound an alarm if rain is within a certain distance and headed towards your post code. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

OK.  Yes, I use websites that show rain radar. If there’s some  heading my way I go and cover the scope.

Someone should develop an App that uses the rain radar data to sound an alarm if rain is within a certain distance and headed towards your post code. 

Found this, haven't tried it but in principle it sounds looks like it could work. How accurate it is would need confirming. 

https://www.rain-alarm.com/

Jim 

27 minutes ago, Craney said:

I find this very useful...
https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Slight time delay... 5-10 minutes.....  but you can step it through a sequence and see if showers are developing or drifting your way.

Some of the light blue traces are heavy cloud and not actual rain.   

Looks similar to …

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=54.0;0.7;5&l=radar

And

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/rainTMC

32 minutes ago, saac said:

Found this, haven't tried it but in principle it sounds looks like it could work. How accurate it is would need confirming. 

https://www.rain-alarm.com/

Jim 

I’ll give it a go. Looks like there’s going to be plenty of opportunity to test it this week having just watched to 5 day forecast on BBC. :) 

• Like 1

Getting back to the subject of this thread …. Odd though this may sound something I increasingly find if anything more off-putting than the weather is the extraordinarily high standard that an elite group of ‘amateur’ imagers are now attaining.

When I started AP amateur astronomers were making do with somewhat less sophisticated equipment and processing. It felt like a more level playing field. It doesn’t feel so much like that to me anymore.