Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Screen for blocking out streetlights.

Until my local council suddenly decided to switch off our yellow streetlights after 8pm until 6am, I had to deal with four lamps, but one predominant one. This image shows a prototype shade based on a B&D Workmate and a couple of long strips of wood with some black cloth suspended between them which I used for a while. However I later made up two shades from microphone stands fitted with a square piece of cardboard, maybe 30cm x30cm, where the microphone would have attached. Such stands proved to be relatively light and allowed very flexible positioning of the shading, and worked well so long as there were no big gusts of wind….

62E37215C60C4EE9805FA813034A0C7F.jpeg

Edited by Avocette
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I think this has to be as simple and portable as it gets, but insanely effective.

577e50a311f71_2016-07-0713_52_59.jpg.475a78a396f056abcaf4e961e4ac3574.jpg.a31552e1cb8dbfd673d2ebc21d66e673.thumb.jpg.917055ce64de9b371e67eb62e5b4ec32.jpg

I have have been using a black out sheet for years, as you say very effective.

• Like 1

I have an LED streetlight opposite my back garden which looks like it would give me a real problem when imaging due South:

IMG_1151.jpeg.9ef79de55209684d06a27a96e0a35e6a.jpeg

The council should switch it off after midnight according to their policy but it stays on all night. I considered all kinds of screens including making a light weight box shroud which would be dropped over it by drone and then removed at the end of the session. Using GPS this could have been incorporated into the automated run so I wouldn’t even need to get out of bed!
However, even with the scopes in the orientation shown in the photo, the subs were not affected by stray light so I just carry on regardless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

I have an LED streetlight opposite my back garden which looks like it would give me a real problem when imaging due South:

IMG_1151.jpeg.9ef79de55209684d06a27a96e0a35e6a.jpeg

The council should switch it off after midnight according to their policy but it stays on all night. I considered all kinds of screens including making a light weight box shroud which would be dropped over it by drone and then removed at the end of the session. Using GPS this could have been incorporated into the automated run so I wouldn’t even need to get out of bed!
However, even with the scopes in the orientation shown in the photo, the subs were not affected by stray light so I just carry on regardless.

I had the same issue with one of my street lights out of all the ones in my road which is easily 50 the one right outside my house was the only one that stayed on all night the others went off. I called the council and it turns out they are managed by East Sussex highways they came and fixed it had an issue with the sensor I think it now goes off at 12pm in the winter and 1am in the summer. It’s worth another call and hopefully can sort it 

• Like 2

Thanks all for your replies. I've got 4 lights in a cluster and they are affecting my images quite badly. This never used to happen, it's only started since the council changed the lights to 'dark sky compliant' units, a change that I actually pushed for ! I think they have altered the angle of one light in particular and it is a right PITA now, it is facing us so can't be shielded in my direction. Anyway whilst searching for something suitable I have found lots of these photo backdrop stands fairly cheap, I think I might give one a go, just chuck a blanket over it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phot-R-Background-Adjustable-Photography-Non-Woven/dp/B015OVMMPA?th=1

6 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

I have 4 extending  washing line poles in a square that slot into bits of old pipe in the ground with cable washing line between them. Then i hang black sheets from the cables. 

I hide in the middle with my scope. 

Please post a picture this may help me please.

So I got this today, £30 off ebay. It goes up to 10ft tall, a bit higher than our garden fence and blocks the offending streetlights (you can just see them on the right side of the pic). Seems ok just need some sandbags or something to add weight to the feet and stop it blowing over !

image.thumb.jpeg.5ac31448aae1b32e2b088c82027bed6d.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

So I got this today, £30 off ebay. It goes up to 10ft tall, a bit higher than our garden fence and blocks the offending streetlights (you can just see them on the right side of the pic). Seems ok just need some sandbags or something to add weight to the feet and stop it blowing over !

Great. another possibility is some carefully placed guy ropes - as long as you dont trip or strangle yourself in the dark.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Can you post a link please 

3 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Can you post a link please 

Here you go. Was 29.95, now £35 🤔. There are cheaper ones on ebay but I wanted one that would go quite high + this one had thicker tubes too. Be warned, it'll definitely blow over if there is any wind, so some weights or guy ropes are essential. It's portable and lightweight tho, which is what I was looking for and it comes in its own roll up bag for storage, a bit like a tent bag.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225113641527

Haven’t tried it out yet (I'm waiting for some weight bags to arrive now), I'll report back after the first use tho and let you know if it is any good.

14 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Here you go. Was 29.95, now £35 🤔. There are cheaper ones on ebay but I wanted one that would go quite high + this one had thicker tubes too. Be warned, it'll definitely blow over if there is any wind, so some weights or guy ropes are essential. It's portable and lightweight tho, which is what I was looking for and it comes in its own roll up bag for storage, a bit like a tent bag.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225113641527

Haven’t tried it out yet (I'm waiting for some weight bags to arrive now), I'll report back after the first use tho and let you know if it is any good.

Cheers for that I can use guy ropes to my fence plus I have loads of weights. 

Hello, no street lights here but plenty of garden and porche lights every which ways. If I had to deal with street lights I would use my BB gun! Unfortunately I live between 2 large cities! So the best remedy is a black sheet!

My very nice neighbor has a light fetishism, he lights up from underneath some of his trees, it is very pretty but. . . ;- )