NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M78 - finally!

ollypenrice

That is just great! An amazing telescope and I think the RASA has a slow start due to the bad reputation of the hyperstars. When I was brave enough to buy my first one (a used one for about 1200 GBP) three years ago, the first image I got blew me away.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Priesters said:

Great capture.  Did you use any filters to get this image and if so which one(s) if you don’t mind me asking?

Only the RGGB filters of the Bayer matrix itself. This was a one shot colour camera, otherwise unfiltered. We have a very dark site.

Olly

3 hours ago, Catanonia said:

Totally amazing. All mine with the RASA8 have been nowhere as detailed or crisp. 

The beauty of dark skies compared to my rubbish Bortle 6.

Well done @ollypenrice amazing image buddy

Are you using Blur Xterminator? It makes a big difference to resolution of fine detail.

Olly

On 20/02/2023 at 08:28, ollypenrice said:

Only the RGGB filters of the Bayer matrix itself. This was a one shot colour camera, otherwise unfiltered. We have a very dark site.

Olly

I would be tempted to still use a UV/IR block filer Olly, i know its classed as a reflector but the RASAs do contain 4 corrective glass lenses at the rear as well as the Schmidt plate at the front, so thats 5 bits of slightly refractive glass . Ive noticed your blue stars in most of your images this week have a very slight violet fringe and a UV/IR would prevent that.

hope you dont mind me pointing this out, but is purely meant to be constructive, just my eyes are very sensitive to fringing and CA so i alway notice it no matter how slight.

lee

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

I would be tempted to still use a UV/IR block filer Olly, i know its classed as a reflector but the RASAs do contain 4 corrective glass lenses at the rear as well as the Schmidt plate at the front, so thats 5 bits of slightly refractive glass . Ive noticed your blue stars in most of your images this week have a very slight violet fringe and a UV/IR would prevent that.

hope you dont mind me pointing this out, but is purely meant to be constructive, just my eyes are very sensitive to fringing and CA so i alway notice it no matter how slight.

lee

The camera @ollypenriceis using (ASI2600MC) has a built in UV/IR filter.

9 hours ago, gorann said:

That’s interesting, can you specify the ZWO version with just an AR window?

How does that work when using the dual band NBZ filter? I thought it would be better just to have an AR window on the camera under those circumstances, hence that is what I specified when purchasing the RisingCam version of the camera.

Also, I have assumed that’s what comes with the QHY version, otherwise I have been imaging with two IR/UV filters in my optical train.

Olly, have you or Paul taken the clear window out of the RASA, or is it still in place?

12 hours ago, Magnum said:

lee

I think any violet tinge will be coming from my processing, probably. I tend to hold down the green quite insistently and often have to tweak the blues in my stars as a consequence. I'll pay more attention to this now that you point it out. I hadn't really noticed it. There's certainly little chance that the super-fast elements in the RASA optical path will be fully apochromatic.

Olly

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gorann said:

Oh so it does thats interesting, I stand corrected.

Sorry Olly, as my 533MC doesn't have an IR window but just an AR window I had just presumed all ZWO OSC cameras were the same in this regard. strange they would use different window in different models when both the 533 and 2600 both have very similar chips with very similar sensitivity.

I see now the built in one cuts at 400nm while my Baader UV/IR cuts at 420nm.

Lee

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 3