Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would you join an RC model flying club to access a really good astro site?

dannybgoode

Bit of a leftfield question this.  I am a member of an RC flying club who have a field near Doncaster and I figure it would make a really good astro site.  Pretty much 360 skies, Bortle 4/5, locked gate, parking etc.  I have bounced the idea of opening membership to astro folk to make use of the field at night and bar some admin our side it could be a goer.  Don't know what the exact price would be however it would be discounted from what people who fly pay so probably £40-50 per year-ish. 

Would this be of interest to anyone?  Cost maybe a shade lower and if there is interest I can get something concrete.

• Like 2

Sounds like an excellent idea.

My father was a member of the local flying club, which is still based very close to where I work. It's a bit off the beaten track. There are limited reasons for people to be down there at night.

Some nocturnal dog walking, something else to do with dogs - or not dogs as it turns out, fly tipping and vandalism. I wonder whether that club would welcome legitimate nocturnal use? It's not really a dark site but better than the middle of town. And for a small fee I could turn off some of the local industrial light sources... :)

This does sound like a good idea. There are precedents.
I mention these because UK wide we have the opportunity to use sites that are otherwise neglected at night.
I'm not trying to 'steal' the OP's idea😁

I have already established some astro interest at an amateur radio club near Sandtoft.
That is between Doncaster & Scunthorpe for those who don't know the area.
I have left various scopes with them, including a 12" dob.
On the plus side there is indoor storage, kitchen, toilet, workshops, etc.
Membership gives access to a wealth of knowledge as well as cheap/free materials on the electronics aspects of astronomy.
Not the best light level. But certainly much better than a lot of people suffer.
Active interests already there include microwave experiments, light wave communications and reflecting high frequency radio from the moon.
I have found there is a significant overlap between astronomy and amateur radio. Many having a foot in both camps.

I visited East Midlands Stargazers a few years back. A great friendly bunch of people.
They had use of a cricket club in Derbyshire. Nice flat field and the clubhouse.
Obviously when bad light stops play the field belongs to the astro community.
It is a good location for light levels.

At one time I considered approaching a gliding club not far from my home but never followed it up.
They have a site with good light level, flat ground and a clubhouse.

I'm sure there are many more places.

David.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GalaxyGael said:

but is it safe at night when there is no-one or fewer people around?

This is an interesting point.  I mean people travel to dark sites that are not secured in any way so having a gate is useful.  This is where numbers come in as well.  3 or 4 (or more) people are better than 1 perhaps but again that is the same regardless of location.  I am confident enough to set up on my own though and will be doing in the coming weeks.  I could easily clear it for people to visit and see what they think.  It is not in the middle of nowhere rather on the edge of a small town and no less safe than most other places would be.

13 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

This would be my concern - getting into another expensive sounding hobby😁

It doesn't *have* to be expensive.  Actually I really enjoy flying pretty cheap secondhand models.  You could get airborne and have a lot fun for £2-300.  But like astro, yes it is addictive and yes you can spend.  One of my friends is just putting together a new plane at around £5k and has another that he has around £10k in and the actual airframe is secondhand.  Just the gubbins that go in the big planes is expensive!

• Like 1

Since I'm across the Pond, I obviously could not partake, but that sounds like a great idea.  There's an RC aircraft park not far from me, but it closes at dusk and it's hardly a dark site.  It does have unobstructed horizons though...

I hope it works out for you.