Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dear FLO what happened to the Vixen products?

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2022 at 01:31, plyscope said:

I know FLO used to sell the scopes and mounts and eyepieces. 

Yes. We were Vixen's largest UK retailer. 

On 31/12/2022 at 01:31, plyscope said:

I think there was a change in Vixens global distribution arrangement. Where are we now? Will we see them again?

Vixen moved their distribution from Opticron in the UK to Bresser in Germany. 

On 31/12/2022 at 08:48, Stu said:

Perhaps @FLO can give some info?

Unfortunately, as a UK retailer, we can no longer offer Vixen products at competitive prices. 

On 31/12/2022 at 20:21, Franklin said:

Bresser Uk are the main Vixen dealer now.

Yes. Bresser Germany owns Bresser UK. It is their website. 

On 01/01/2023 at 10:30, Cleetus said:

I bought a nice Vixen mount from them recently at a very nice 20% discount.

Precisely. 

HTH, 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, FLO said:

Unfortunately, as a UK retailer, we can no longer offer Vixen products at competitive prices. 

This is perfectly understandable as although Vixen prices in Japan do seem quite reasonable, if you buy direct as I have in the past, with taxes and shipping costs you really don't gain any saving on the Bresser GmbH catalogue prices. The same has happened in the US where Explore Scientific are now the main Vixen distributor.

On 09/01/2023 at 13:33, FLO said:

Yes. We were Vixen's largest UK retailer. 

Vixen moved their distribution from Opticron in the UK to Bresser in Germany. 

Yes. Bresser Germany owns Bresser UK. It is their website. 

Precisely. 

HTH, 

Steve

That's a shame. I love my SXD2 and Starbook 10. It's a really well made mount, the offset head means counterweights are smaller, and the SB 10 is a doddle to use. Works with the AsiAir Pro or PC as well, no issues. 

• Like 2

On 09/01/2023 at 14:20, Franklin said:

The same has happened in the US where Explore Scientific are now the main Vixen distributor.

I bought most of my ES eyepieces from the US, as they were very much cheaper before they turned up in Europe and then the UK

• Like 1

Not Vixen-related, but I've recently bought something from the UK for the first time since Brexit.

Suffice to say it was also the last time 😒

I needed a Starizona corrector for the 50ED guidescope from SW and I couldn't find it in stock in EU.

It took weeks to get here and with taxes and import it was much more expensive in the end.

I imagine the same is true for goods going to the UK ?

Please undo that Brexit thingy 🥲

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

Not Vixen-related, but I've recently bought something from the UK for the first time since Brexit.

Suffice to say it was also the last time 😒

I needed a Starizona corrector for the 50ED guidescope from SW and I couldn't find it in stock in EU.

It took weeks to get here and with taxes and import it was much more expensive in the end.

I imagine the same is true for goods going to the UK ?

Please undo that Brexit thingy 🥲

This is also my experience. I was stung very heavily by import duties between England and France. I'm sure UK retailers will be hit by a loss of EU customers, which is a great shame and no fault of their own.

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This is also my experience. I was stung very heavily by import duties between England and France. I'm sure UK retailers will be hit by a loss of EU customers, which is a great shame and no fault of their own.

Olly

It really is sad, I loved buying from FLO, excellent service and competitive pricing.

• Haha 1

Willdo.

And my experience dealing with FLO has been OK from Finland.

17.5 % VAT is removed at checkout, shipped with DHL, then added back in on arrival by Tulli customs (VAT 24% ouch on both goods and shipping..) with a few % duty.

It typically adds around 12% to the UK price but I'll pay it for the convenience, as FLO delivery is excellent with DHL Express 

I've had zero issues direct importing from the UK or anywhere else in Europe or Australia.  No sales taxes, no import duties, no customs hold-ups ever.  The only issue I've had is checkout carts that refuse to remove VAT prior to payment.  I refuse to take any retailer's word that they'll credit erroneously paid VAT back to my CC.

I'm guessing direct importation into the US is such a small fraction of all importation that it's just not worth creating a bureaucracy to collect the lost revenue and stall free trade.  The main things they do check for are illegal drugs, weapons, and explosives.  Even then, literally tons of fentanyl from China gets through every year to be resold on the streets as mismarked pain relief pills.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd much prefer a UK supplier held stock of Vixen stuff, of course, but I've bought a bit via Bresser recently and it's all come within a week and I had one warranty issue, regarding a broken bolt, and it was dealt with really quickly. It's fine...tracking is weird as the items disappear for a few days, but then they suddenly reappear and arrive the next day. 

If you're after Vixen, I'd still go for it. 

I bought lots of items from TS before B.....t, was a good service and some kit you could not easily source in the UK,   I had my eye on an very nice ONTC newtonian but that option has now gone with the added costs of duty and taxes.

Edited by Astroscot2