Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's observatory...free to a good astronomer.

Chaz2b

I have just been to the late Ginas home on the black downs Devon. The new owner does not want the observatory, so I mentioned if she would like it gone...for free? She said yes.

If you are interested then there are a few things you need to know.

It's a sliding roof observatory, you need the tools to dismantle it, you need a large trailer or flatbed to transport it on, finally...you need muscles!

It is for free, but she would like it gone soon otherwise I fear it will be a bonfire .

I have her contact details, please pm me if you have a genuine interest.

Chaz

IMG_20221208_110953.jpg

IMG_20221208_111013.jpg

IMG_20221208_111028.jpg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Sad 13

As many of you would know, Gina enjoyed making things with her 3D printers, I do myself. One object amongst the items scattered was a mount she printed and assembled utilising stepper motors. I didn’t want to see this in the skip I delivered today, so I asked if I could have it and the new owner said yes. 
 I want to re- assemble it but I lack the controls for it so it will take some time.

chaz

3E476565-6C5A-476F-8CEC-4BD34B6D9168.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Yes, very sad indeed. Let’s hope it finds a good home. Is there a local astronomy society who might be informed, @Chaz2b? Just in case one their members can make use of it? 

That would then be my next effort should there be no interest from SGL members, I’m not a member of any club so I don’t have their club contacts or web sites but I will look.

As I live in a flat with communal gardens, I can’t take it myself as much as I would love too.

• Like 1

Sadly the shed here is falling to bits, but I rent and Gina's is way too far to make it viable even if I had the transport to attempt it. This garden isn't suited to have a RoRo anyway come to that. Hope someone does take it tho.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

That would then be my next effort should there be no interest from SGL members, I’m not a member of any club so I don’t have their club contacts or web sites but I will look.

As I live in a flat with communal gardens, I can’t take it myself as much as I would love too.

Well thankfully there is someone like yourself able, willing and presumably local enough to do what you’re doing. I’m sure that alone would have pleased Gina. 

• Like 3

Oh that's good Chaz.  I recall one of the members on the long thread about her death asked whether he could have a memento, so if you could retrieve anything and I will see if I can find that thread and the person who asked, I have a feeling he mentioned a clock.

I have a photo of it as I did a number of PDFs for Gina's sister and family on her projects as they had not really been in touch much for some years and had no idea about her Astronomy achievements.   

Thanks

Carole 

• Like 4

Seeing this thread made me realise how much of a hole Ginas passing has been on SGL.
I do hope some of her kit and constructions find new life elsewhere.

It is  always so sad watching someone else's life and treasures discarded after they pass,
but as I myself have noted when clearing relatives homes, one persons treasure is someone elses bin filler.

Good on you Chaz for trying with this.

• Like 1

May I ask what happened to Gina?  If not appropriate to discuss then ignore my ask.  I'm so sad to hear she died.  She was so kind to me and we exchanged many PMs over the years, especially when my wife had cancer and subsequently passed away.  Gina will be greatly missed.   As I said earlier, I've had a lot of personal problems with my daughter this year and have not been on SGL so much and as such I missed the news of the very sad passing away of Gina 😰♥️

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 21:08, fwm891 said:

I remember helping to put the cladding on the outside quite a few years ago. It's had a few changes since then.

Yes a couple of photos of you guys helping with the cladding were included in the PDF I sent to Gina's family.

Carole 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I E Mailed Gina’s next door neighbour who we had some dealings with last year when she died.  

Sadly this is one if the comments he made in his reply. 

“Alas the observatory along with all the remaining sky watching items in it were destroyed on a rather large bonfire.”

So sad when she put so much work into it.  

Carole

• Sad 15

Images of the shed and her creations are a reminder to me that when we pass, we become what we have left behind for others.

I think Gina has left us much indeed. People reading old threads on here will often see her advice and experience when researching for their own endeavors.

A shame that the shed had to go in such a manner, but sadly sheds are not an easy move and very unique to the builder, so this is not unexpected :(

• Like 5

I know how it feels to see someone's hobby/life disappear, my brother a military modeller  for most of his life passed away around this time last year, he had a room in his house with years of work in it,  some winning him awards,   I was allowed to keep half a dozen of his models the rest  went  to a house clearance company and  a lot to the bin man.

Here's one I kept, the background is my doing.425595269_ChieftainTank.thumb.jpeg.97f46d37d94a736dd614a8fe2a2242e7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1