Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

telescope help

Hello!

Im an amateur astronomer and I was looking for a telescope that has some guidance so I can easily find deeper space objects.

I also wanted a telescope that could see deep space decently with pretty good views of stars, planets, nebulae etc etc (at least pretty good for my budget)

Ive only ever owned a basic telescope my mom got me last year for Christmas but I dont mind a learning curve at all.

I did a bit of research and I found this telescope (link below) and was wondering if it was paired with the lenses included in the kit I found (second link listed) I would be able to see planets such as Saturn and Jupiter in pretty good conditions?

telescope- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083JRF1MH/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza 

telescope accessory kit- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RH5I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

My second question is if these are good options to buy for what im looking for would it be overkill on that telescope to be using the 6mm and a 2x barlow supplied from the second link? From my understanding it would give me around a 216x magnification and the telescopes max useful mag is 307x so it should be fine but I saw some people talking about how using a barlow with that telescope would just be over magnifying it and the quality wouldnt be good but I want to be able to see farther planets in good detail without completely breaking the bank so im not completely sure what my best option is.

I also understand that at 216x mag id have to track some objects myself since the telescope is completely manual other than guidance from the StarSense technology this celestron uses which I can deal with since computerized tracking would just be more money.

Sorry if I have some things wrong here, im still learning, thanks! :)

Edited by cherrzi

Hello and welcome to SGL. The telescope should be fine for a beginner, there are no complicated mounts or controls to deal with. The eyepiece sets are usually advised against because they tend to be of a cheaper quality and most of them will not get used that much anyway. It is usually better to replace the two eyepieces, especially the 10mm, with better quality eyepieces and then add to your collection gradually. Ignore the claimed 307x magnification, the telescope has a practical maximum of about 260x (telescope aperture (mm) x 2) but atmospheric conditions usually limit this to 200x and, without any form of automatic tracking, keeping an object within the field of view at higher magnifications will be difficult.

• Like 1

While the scope is good i wouldnt buy it from Amazon.  Look around on FLOs website (they sponsor this site) and I am sure they will have something there.  As stated above skip the eyepiece sets.  Start with the eyepieces that come with the scope. As to the Barlow, a good 2x is always nice to have.  If nothing else you can always look at the moon with it as it can take a lot of magnification.  

Ive just started out but I'd say you don't need the set of eyepieces.  I think you'd be better getting a couple decent eyepieces.  I went for an 8mm BST (believe they are called Paradigm in the states) and a good quality 32mm Plossl.  With a 2x Barlow this pretty much covers everything I've wanted to look at so far.  Maybe I'll want a different eyepiece down the line but the lack of options makes things a bit easier starting out as there is less to think about.

Not sure about the quality of the mount the scope comes with, but I find with mine (130pds on an az5 mount) the 8mm in the Barlow is the limit before vibration becomes a bit of an issue).  Great views of the planets though.

The statsense seems highly regarded and even Ed Ting spoke well if it.

• Like 1