Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi to all on SGL

RME1

Hi, I'm Richard and live in Emley, West Yorkshire.

Just a little bit about myself, I became interested in astronomy in 2001 when I did a short course with the OU. Haven't done much serious observing for a couple of years now (work, family, moving house, etc. You know.), but with a recent purchase of an Equinox 80 and porta mount, it will spur me on to get out more (and to justify the purchases to my wife!!). I've also done a little astrophotography with an Nikon 4300 digital camera and my trusty Canon AE 1 (Yes, real film!!). I'll also try and get round to writing a review on my new equipement to give back something to the SGL community.

Best wishes and greetings to you all,

Richard.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wecome to the gang Richard. These wives have to be asured the money is well spent:D. I'm sure she won't be disappointed.

Ah!, good old film astrophotography. Quite a challenge, at least it was for me, although I managed some good stuff, but lots of bad too.

Always kept my enthusiasm going though. My favourite saying was, "It will be better next time" It rarely was.:) Good fun though.

Ron.:)

Thanks for your welcome to those I missed in my post last night.

Hi, Talitha and Barkis - I must admit, I don't do a lot with film now as the AE 1 needs a bit of TLC. I enjoyed the thrill of hoping I'd get a good shot but most were a little disappointing. The main thing was that I enjoyed it.

Hi, Moondog - Where do you observe? I'm lucky enough to be able set up in my back garden, it's just a shame about the light pollution up here. The seeing was a lot better when I lived in Sussex ( and less windy!!).

All the best,

Richard

Hi, Moondog - Where do you observe? I'm lucky enough to be able set up in my back garden, it's just a shame about the light pollution up here. The seeing was a lot better when I lived in Sussex ( and less windy!!).

Richard

Hi Richard - I observe and image from my back garden. It faces due South and is pretty dark. I have very little LP due South, not too bad East, not brilliant West and (apart from Polaris) my view to the North is blocked by the hill behind the house. It's windy where I am also - very bracing!

I was out last night with the C8 and the wind was rocking the tube.

MD

Hello Richard,

Welcome to SGL from somebody else who lives within sight of the Emley mast - in the Barnsley direction! Do you intend to do any 'film' astrophotography with your AE1. I have very recently bought a Nikon F601 from one of the regular posters on here and am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Regards PP

Archived