Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What binoculars should i get? (with some specifics and a small budget)

Hello everyone!

i'll be moving to the french countryside soon and i'd like to finally take that step and buy some binoculars since i've been living in a dark red light pollution hotspot since birth. I have no idea which ones to get though, here are some specifics:

-Price between 50 and 100 euros

-Can make out planets, some nebulae and maybe a dso or two (wether they are smudges or not doesn't matter to me)

-I have glasses so apparently i need something like 16mm eye relief? soo yeah that

-used for astronomy (duh)

-no further equipment needed (like tripods, lenses etc) aside from a bag or something

-purchaseable from amazon or ebay or any other online store since there are no astronomy related stores close to me (Entire country is entirely light polluted so no interest in astronomy)

Its a very specific request but i have no idea who else to turn to, i'm willing to spend a little bit more if something fits the requirements perfectly but i'm broke at the moment so 200 is the absolute limit. Thank you to anyone willing to help!

Not sure I can recommend anything specific but a question, do you need glasses for astigmatism or just long/short sight?

If you don't need them when using binos that could widen your options a bit.

Probably in the low price bracket I'd look for a reasonable porro rather than roof type and if hand holding then 10x or 8x as anything higher will likely result in a very shakey view which won't be enjoyable. 8x is easier to hold steady but 10x is workable if you can manage to hold them steady or rest against a fixed object (railing or table etc).

Avoid any zoom bino as they will be terrible in astro use and little better in terrestrial esp those claiming a huge zoom range. Likewise avoid any with fancy coloured lenses (red etc) as they generally aren't ruby coated etc regardless the claims of superior image. A good 'normal' multi-coated lens will work just fine, in fact way better than those odd coloured ones.

Edited by DaveL59

Good point on astigmatism.
I would also keep the magnification at 8x or 10x otherwise you will need a monopod or tripod as well.

A reasonable but not the best would be 10x50 Olympus DP-S 1, were sold on Amazon and under £100, but Ithink they are no longer available, better at not much more available elsewhere.

Many of the 10x50 on the forums sponsor page are also good for the price and I am sure @FLO post to France,
unless your outside of France at the minute.

examples would be:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/opticron-oregon-10x50-wa-binocular.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/opticron-adventurer-10x50-t-wp-binocular.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/pentax-sp-50mm-binoculars.html

Have a look for Binocular Sky (Steve Tonin) on this forum,
he is very engaged and has lots of reviews online, linked here on the forum if memory serves me OK.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

https://binocularsky.com/binoc_reviews.php

These always get glowing reviews (never used them myself) as posted above:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/opticron-adventurer-10x50-t-wp-binocular.html

Bear in mind, with 10x50s, planets won't appear much more than bright stars. Jupiter a tiny disk with the Galilean moons; Saturn will be oval and you might make out the phase of Venus. Globular and open clusters are little fuzzy blobs in most cases. Some open clusters are better in binos than scopes. The bright star clouds in the summer south are great.

I love my 10x50s. In a really dark sky, they can be all you need for a night's observing.

you want 20mm eye relief if you can find them lower power are easier to live with. 10x50 might have you thinking of mounting them which can produce excellent results. Dont worry about spending a bit more for known quality they will be with you for years its always a good investment. 

I wear glasses 24/7, I have a slight astigmatism in my left eye. 

I have been using bins for over 40 yrs (I have many of various sizes). I don't wear my glasses while observing with bins OR telescopes. 

I can't offer any advice beyond this. All bins of any size/budget work for me.

Have a look at the binocularsky.com website. Lots of great information there, and your can sign up for a monthly newsletter that gives an observing list suitable for binocular users.

+1 for recommending the Opticron Adventurer 10x50 binoculars. I bought some for MrsG and she uses them at our place in France, though she uses a tripod and trigger head to make observing easier.

She uses a 7" tablet to cycle between the newsletter and Stellarium when tracking down the targets.

On 19/07/2022 at 19:20, Alan White said:

Good point on astigmatism.
I would also keep the magnification at 8x or 10x otherwise you will need a monopod or tripod as well.

A reasonable but not the best would be 10x50 Olympus DP-S 1, were sold on Amazon and under £100, but Ithink they are no longer available, better at not much more available elsewhere.

Many of the 10x50 on the forums sponsor page are also good for the price and I am sure @FLO post to France,
unless your outside of France at the minute.

examples would be:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/opticron-oregon-10x50-wa-binocular.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/pentax-sp-50mm-binoculars.html

Have a look for Binocular Sky (Steve Tonin) on this forum,
he is very engaged and has lots of reviews online, linked here on the forum if memory serves me OK.

Hi! i've checked everything and i think the opticron adventurer is the best option. the problem is that.. is first light optics a trustable site? I can't really find a large enough backing or following anywhere on the internet that makes them seem legitimate... Is it safe to give them my card details? 

3 minutes ago, LightPollution said:

Hi! i've checked everything and i think the opticron adventurer is the best option. the problem is that.. is first light optics a trustable site? I can't really find a large enough backing or following anywhere on the internet that makes them seem legitimate... Is it safe to give them my card details? 

Well they are the sponsors of SGL , a fact you seem to have missed , despite the large banner at the top of the page ... 😉

1 hour ago, LightPollution said:

They as said above are the forum sponsor, one of if not the largest uk Astro retailers and I use them as a supplier, throughly decent reliable, knowledgeable and above all trustworthy folks.

@FLO might wish to make comment directly of course….

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2022 at 21:08, LightPollution said:

Hi! i've checked everything and i think the opticron adventurer is the best option. the problem is that.. is first light optics a trustable site? 

On 23/07/2022 at 22:13, Alan White said:

They as said above are the forum sponsor, one of if not the largest uk Astro retailers and I use them as a supplier, throughly decent reliable, knowledgeable and above all trustworthy folks.

@FLO might wish to make comment directly of course….

We are fine upstanding citizens 😇

But seriously, FLO been trading since 2006, is the UK's largest astronomy retailer and routinely delivers to customers in France.

@LightPollution You can ask Opticron directly for a reference. They might also be able to refer you to a local stockist in France. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2