Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tycho, image VS visual

SwiMatt

Disclaimer: noob here!

I was observing the Moon with my 10x50 and comparing the observed feature with this picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3AMoon_names.svg

Yesterday I think that Tycho emerged from the shadow (based on its position with respect to what is labelled as Mare Nubium), however I am not sure since this picture shows completely different light patterns. In the linked image, Tycho looks very bright and central (white with radial stripes coming out of it), but in my binoculars I see it as an area full of craters where none of them really emerges as dominant. 

I was wondering if a) I'm a full-on noob and somehow misinterpreting the picture, or b) if not a), whether the difference between pic and reality is due to the instrument I'm using or it's a result of stacked pictures with long exposure.

Soon I'll get a book dedicated to Moon observations, but I couldn't wait to satisfy my curiosity :)

Much depends on the lighting at any given time. For example, when Tycho is close to the terminator, the boundary between day and night, the shadows are dominant craters can look very similar. However, when the Moon is nearer full, Tycho becomes very evident as in the picture. It's best to observe the Moon throughout a lunation to see how the features change. In time you'll become familiar with the terrain and be able to recognise which crater is which.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Much depends on the lighting at any given time. For example, when Tycho is close to the terminator, the boundary between day and night, the shadows are dominant craters can look very similar. However, when the Moon is nearer full, Tycho becomes very evident as in the picture. It's best to observe the Moon throughout a lunation to see how the features change. In time you'll become familiar with the terrain and be able to recognise which crater is which.

Thanks for the answer! Indeed, I'm trying to observe the whole lunation - I was lucky to have clear skies for 4 or 5 days in a row.

This is all so interesting. Last night (1.30am) Tycho "jumped out" to me and I felt very sure I saw it, but just now (10pm) it felt like it had less contrast and I doubted myself. But it's so hard to distinguish what I really see from what I imagine I'm seeing when comparing to a picture, so thanks the reassuring answer! :D

You mentioned in your first post that you use 10X50. Is this 10X50 binoculars or a 10X 50 telescope?  Although binoculars are wonderful instruments, they are a bit low power for yhe Moon and a small telescope might be a better choice, giving more detailed views.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

You mentioned in your first post that you use 10X50. Is this 10X50 binoculars or a 10X 50 telescope?  Although binoculars are wonderful instruments, they are a bit low power for yhe Moon and a small telescope might be a better choice, giving more detailed views.

Being very new in the hobby, I haven't yet decided to make the upgrade to a telescope. Seeing how things are going I will probably buy a telescope after the summer, but binoculars are already providing me with lots of interesting observations! 

Edited by SwiMatt
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2023 at 08:18, Nik271 said:

You may find this resource useful:

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5048

It gives a very accurate simulated view of the Moon on any hour of the day. If you donwload the high resolution image it even labels the most prominent features near the terminator.

That is a really good aid I wish I had known of before! It can be tough identifying things on the moon due to the lighting changing, sometimes I sneak into the imagine sections to see if anyone put up a photo at exactly the same time I was observing in order to work out what something was, but this website does it all!

• Like 1

It's great for planning observing sessions as well. The resolution of the tiff file could be better for  small details but can't complain really. NASA and their SVS team have done an excellent job helping us in our hobby!

• Like 3