NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

JWST images

IB20

Another take on the "Pillars" image with an overlay showing the immense scale involved relative to us here  ... 😯

If you were ever in doubt as to our significance in the universe here is confirmation .

Credit to NASA and Will Gater.

60087115_pillarsscalewillgater.thumb.jpg.39ec7c32de93b9bae9bd42d5eac8038b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Another take on the "Pillars" image with an overlay showing the immense scale involved relative to us here  ... 😯

If you were ever in doubt as to our significance in the universe here is confirmation .

That's very good - I'll share it with our Astro Club at our next meeting.

There's a nice comparison you can make to pass on the insane scale of the Universe - that if you put the Earth-Sun distance at one inch, then one light year is a mile. So the nearest star is 4.2 miles away.

Useful to have in your mind something that's about that distance that will be meaningful to your audience. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Thanks for posting this, it's funny because as I was looking at this image on the NASA webpage I thought about how big these features are, it's like you read my mind.

As Douglas Adams said ...Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.” although your pillar photo and the scale just doesn't do it justice,thanks for making me think how small our world is ,but in a nice way ,,,small but perfectly formed,,if it wasn't for humans lol

• Like 1

Here's a great blog post by the fantastic Phil Plait ( the 'badastronomer' ) about what the most recent MIRI image of the Pillars of Creation is showing us.

https://badastronomy.substack.com/p/new-jwst-pillars-of-creation-image

He includes a link to this ESA image that allows you to slide between the MIRI and NIRCAM images. 

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images/2022/10/Webb_s_instruments_showcase_the_Pillars_of_Creation_slider

Edited by Gfamily
Spolling
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing fusion of NIRCam and MIRI instruments trained on the pillars of creation, the details visible here are truly miraculous!. Link to image description on NASA page below.

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/01GK2KKTR81SGYF24YBGYG7TAP?page=1&filterUUID=91dfa083-c258-4f9f-bef1-8f40c26f4c97

A6D50A0B-FA87-41DF-8F14-C2300F803064.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 5

On 29/10/2022 at 19:35, Gfamily said:

There's a nice comparison you can make to pass on the insane scale of the Universe - that if you put the Earth-Sun distance at one inch, then one light year is a mile. So the nearest star is 4.2 miles away.

It's always impressed me just how close this comparison is (inches/miles/light years). Accurate to 0.1%

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 2

So many fuzzies! a Webb deep field mosaic reveals an astonishing amount of ancient galaxies at the very edge of time, amazing. Link below goes to NASA site where one can select a hi-res image to scroll through, I have spent 

an hour looking through the myriad of galaxies.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/12/14/webb-glimpses-field-of-extragalactic-pearls-studded-with-galactic-diamonds/

PEARLS-with-pullouts-1024x512.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

James Webb space telescope.  It's focal length is 131.4m. The picture blew my mind and I wondered what JWST focal length was 

134m? wow that seems like an awful lot, it’s not 34? either way it’s nuts. Have to say I love your avatar, your reflection off the telescope mirror is funny.

Edited by Sunshine

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, globular said:

Amazing.  I'll have to see about introducing a chip gap in my visual set-up.....  😉

Cool, What’s a chip gap? if they’re cool I want one too!

Edited by Sunshine

38 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Cool, What’s a chip gap? if they’re cool I want one too!

From their caption on the image:  "The black strip in the center is a chip gap, the result of the separation between NIRCam’s two long-wavelength detectors. The gap covers the dense center of the cluster, which is too bright to capture at the same time as the fainter, less dense outskirts of the cluster. "

i.e. cover the bright centre and you see more of the outside.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, globular said:

From their caption on the image:  "The black strip in the center is a chip gap, the result of the separation between NIRCam’s two long-wavelength detectors. The gap covers the dense center of the cluster, which is too bright to capture at the same time as the fainter, less dense outskirts of the cluster. "

i.e. cover the bright centre and you see more of the outside.

That’s what happens when you get lost looking at the pictures so much you don’t read the article carefully, I am the very definition of an “amateur astronomer”