Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST images

IB20

Just now, gorann said:

I am really puzzled by all those additional stars in the JWST image, including many very bright ones. I did not know there were pure IR stars, but then what do I know.

They'll be stars that have had their visible light blocked by dust. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elp said:

Doesn't visible light also shift into infra red over more distance? Hence another reason why JWST infra red camera's are picking up more detail than Hubble.

It does but not at this distance. Here we are looking nearby at a nebula in our own galaxy so no  cosmological redshift.

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro

5 minutes ago, robin_astro said:

As well as the difference in wavelength with much less extinction in the IR due to dust, I think the Hubble image was taken in narrow band filters which would significantly dim the stars relative to the emission from the nebula 

Here is how Hubble saw the same region in the IR. The stars are all there 🙂

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/eagle-nebula-s-pillars-of-creation-in-infrared

Robin

• Like 2

23 hours ago, robin_astro said:

As well as the difference in wavelength with much less extinction in the IR due to dust, I think the Hubble image was taken in narrow band filters which would significantly dim the stars relative to the emission from the nebula 

Robin

I don't think so, as there are some bright stars visible with prominent spikes.

Interestingly, there is a HST image also in the IR which shows the same stars not visble in the Visible (as it were).

image.thumb.png.6941e2dfd7095359db5a69a1cadfb892.png

You can tell it's a HST image as it has the four spikes rather than six.

ETA - @robin_astro beat me to it.

Edited by Gfamily
Correct spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, robin_astro said:

Robin

Yes, but we amateurs also use NB filters and I never seen or heard of bright stars completely disappearing. However, maybe they do, some apparently only show up in IR. I had a look at Liverpool Telescope HaRGB data (a 2 m RC on La Palma) that I processed several years ago (https://www.astrobin.com/286659/). And, those additional star seen in the JWST image are NOT there, so clearly JWST Near-IR images reveal stars that we do not see in visible light. I am still puzzled.

Cheers, Göran

Y3p6lpIG-0lY_16536x0_JXczOqwr.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Yes, but we amateurs also use NB filters and I never seen or heard of bright stars completely disappearing. However, maybe they do, some apparently only show up in IR. I had a look at Liverpool Telescope HaRGB data (a 2 m RC on La Palma) that I processed several years ago (https://www.astrobin.com/286659/). And, those additional star seen in the JWST image are NOT there, so clearly JWST Near-IR images reveal stars that we do not see in visible light. I am still puzzled.

Cheers, Göran

20 hours ago, robin_astro said:

Robin

21 hours ago, Gfamily said:

I guess appearances are deceptive... 

On 21/10/2022 at 16:31, markse68 said:

the 4 I circled look bright (young/close?) and the dust doesn't look particularly dense there

Note that objects that appear opaque in visible light, can be quite transparent in IR light, and vice versa (look at the guys glasses).

Sig08 004

This image was taken with a camera that is sensitive to 7.5 - 13 um light.

https://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/image/sig08-004-hands-in-a-bag-color-visible-vs-infrared-light

That is also why you should never take darks with just a plastic lens cap on.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 3

Webb Explores a Pair of Merging Galaxies.
Release date:25 October 2022, 06:00

This image from the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope depicts IC 1623, an entwined pair of interacting galaxies which lies around 270 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Cetus. The two galaxies in IC 1623 are plunging headlong into one another in a process known as a galaxy merger. Their collision has ignited a frenzied spate of star formation known as a starburst, creating new stars at a rate more than twenty times that of the Milky Way galaxy.

https://esawebb.org/images/potm2210a/

potm2210a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Woow, that last Pillars image gives me the feeling that JWST has taken off from our solar system and sneaked up on the pillars, taking an image from below.

I get the impression that the stars are suppressed and their numbers of are falling - Maybe the team of NASA/ESA processors have bought a StarXTerminator licence?

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gorann said:

Woow, that last Pillars image gives me the feeling that JWST has taken off from our solar system and sneaked up on the pillars, taking an image from below.

I get the impression that the stars are suppressed and their numbers of are falling - Maybe the team of NASA/ESA processors have bought a StarXTerminator licence?

This image is taken with the MIRI instrument, in mid-infrared the dust pillars are no longer transparent so the stars inside or behind the pillars are hidden. Also, stars aren't very bright in mid-infrared, peak emission is at shorter wavelengths. hence no large diffraction spikes.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1