Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Want to see something different

Hi all.

I know you've had lots of clear nights recently in the UK but tonight will be my first clear night (at a decent time not 4 in the morning) with no moon visible for nearly a month. 

I would like to try and find and look at something different. 

I will start off with m42 and the trapezium,  one of my favourite things to look at is m13 and trying to see the Mercedes sign but I think that will be up in early morning. 

Is there any clusters, nebula or galaxies any one could recommend and point me in the right direction to find them .

Thanks dave 

16 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Hi all.

I know you've had lots of clear nights recently in the UK but tonight will be my first clear night (at a decent time not 4 in the morning) with no moon visible for nearly a month. 

I would like to try and find and look at something different. 

I will start off with m42 and the trapezium,  one of my favourite things to look at is m13 and trying to see the Mercedes sign but I think that will be up in early morning. 

Is there any clusters, nebula or galaxies any one could recommend and point me in the right direction to find them .

Thanks dave 

If you can stay up until around 23.30, with an 8" dob and dark skies I'd be having a crack at the Leo Triplet galaxies (M65, M66 & NGC 3628). A little star hop down from from mag 3.3 Chertan/Theta Leo. From my light polluted nightmare I've managed to find M66 with a 6" reflector but the others were frustratingly invisible. ☹️

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

If you're looking at Orion, then after the clam shell of M42 you could have a go at M78 to the left and above the belt stars. Then down to the left-hand  belt star Alnitak and see if you can see the Flame nebula alongside Alnitak. After that and still in Orion, you could drop down below M42 and study the star field carefully. Do you detect nebulosity around any of the stars?

• Like 1

There are tons of things to see, still a few nebula early evening when some of the milky way is still high up enough (or before sunset). At least at my latitude, 57N in NE Scotland.

Auriga has quite a lot and the Rosette with an OIII filter is excellent.

Check out Stellarium on desktop, or pick up and Sky and Telescope Atlas.

Anything from nebula to galaxies. If conditions are good, there are a lot of galaxies around Leo and esp Coma Berenices. 

Markarian's Chain is a sight to behold under dark skies! 

• Like 1

On 28/02/2022 at 09:23, Dave scutt said:

Try this monthly newsletter meant for bins but equally relevant for scopes. https://binocularsky.com/newsletter/BinoSkyNL.pdf courtesy Steve @BinocularSky

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 2

I'd recommend going through the entire Messier 110 list (or, at least what's possible from your latitude...) over the period of a year.  The majority are bright and / or interesting and catalogue comprises a very good variety of objects and difficulty.  Make a shortlist of those that are visible for the time you're going to be observing.

• Like 1

Get out a pair of binoculars and look at Orion's Belt.  You'll suddenly realize there's a rich open cluster surrounding them, Collinder 70.  You'll wonder why you never noticed it before.

Collinder 70 is all of those smaller, bright blue stars as well as the three belt stars as seen below:

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Louis D said:

Get out a pair of binoculars and look at Orion's Belt.  You'll suddenly realize there's a rich open cluster surrounding them, Collinder 70.  You'll wonder why you never noticed it before.

Collinder 70 is all of those smaller, bright blue stars as well as the three belt stars as seen below:

spacer.png

I love the big S of stars between Alnilam and Mintaka.

A252E6C6-C21A-4EF9-B6E2-E436A3A036E1.jpeg

• Like 2