Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OK.. I need an observatory..

powerlord

Agreed, I went a bit middle ground and bought a telegizmo cover, the difference that makes is huge even though I still bring the kit in if the weather is a bit grim. When there's a few nights of opportunity it's nice to be able to just whip off the cover.

Having said that I did look at some sheds over the weekend as I am planning on building something too......

• Like 2

My observatory was my best astro spend ever.
Go outside, roof back, power on, view.
Cold, tired, clouds. Park scope, power off, back to house.

Don't rush it though. Look around and ask people. We all make mistakes in our build.
There are several things I would change if building my ROR again.
I didn't think about a warm room, because few people were doing anything by remote control and I was visual with the odd picture by a DSLR.
While I have a mains supply, I didn't think to install a network cable to the house.
A working crystal ball helps here.

Also changing viewing habits and new technology should be accommodated. I planned and built in 2007.
I couldn't find anyone within miles of me who could share information. SGL is amazing this respect.
In 2022 you have a mountain of build information available.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

David.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

Trailing all this in and out at night is becoming tedious..

Observatory build in progress...

I find getting it all back in when the clouds come the worst, taking out can be done in daylight and I am eager to get going but at some hour past midnight when everything covered in frost, and I am tired is really a pain.
And, I have been saying for the past couple of years "I must build an Obsy this year", because of this and the fact that often you just have to take what chances you get in UK due to weather. Often every weather app says clouds and early on looks bad so I don't take the gear out, but then taking dog out before bed the sky is pretty clear but then can't be bothered to set up or there is only an hour or two clear enough to be of use.
So with an Obsy that is easily possible just to do an hour here and there if that's all the weather allows.
Only think that has stopped me is that 3 years ago we decided we were going to downsize and move house so put this off. But, with Covid and daughter getting ready to flee the nest (son already gone) we have not moved yet.
Whether we get on with it this year or not I am not sure but thinking maybe just build one, maybe with a pier or just use my tripod for now then when we move take it with me build a permanent pier and re-erect.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Agreed, I went a bit middle ground and bought a telegizmo cover, the difference that makes is huge even though I still bring the kit in if the weather is a bit grim. When there's a few nights of opportunity it's nice to be able to just whip off the cover.

Having said that I did look at some sheds over the weekend as I am planning on building something too......

Mine is a middle ground too.. I'm building it all today/tomorrow. I'm not sure it's something anyone else will want to copy, but for me, it's gonna work a treat I think. I shall leave it there, and post pics when complete.

I will tell you it will be solid, waterproof, long lasting with a removable roof, power and room for all 3 of my mounts permanently setup.

Oh.. and it's costing me 100 quid.

stu

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I find getting it all back in when the clouds come the worst, taking out can be done in daylight and I am eager to get going but at some hour past midnight when everything covered in frost, and I am tired is really a pain.
And, I have been saying this year must build an Obsy, because of this and the fact that often you just have to take what chances you get in UK due to weather. Often every weather app says clouds and early on looks bad so I don't take the gear out, but then taking dog out before bed the sky is pretty clear but then can't be bothered to set up or there is only an hour or two clear enough to be of use.
So with an Obsy that is easily possible just to do an hour here and there if that's all the weather allows.
Only think that has stopped me is that 3 years ago we decided we were going to downsize and move house so put this off. But, with Covid and daughter getting ready to flee the nest (son already gone) we have not moved yet.
Whether we get on with it this year or not I am not sure but thinking maybe just build one, maybe with a pier or just use my tripod for now then when we move take it with me build a permanent pier and re-erect.

Steve

Same here really and the cover helps again massively with the frost type issue, just throw it over and job done. Still a pain but not as much of a pain as bringing in all the kit. Plus it makes using that that 2 hour window spotted when taking the dogs out possible, I know because I've done it. Another thing, once I build an observatory I'll still use the cover so not a "wasted" expense.

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 1

I am working on Mrs Jonny_H to let me build an observatory in the garden. That said,  with the seemingly never ending cost of living increases I feel I should probably keep my savings topped up as opposed to spending it! At least for the moment :)

I don't mind lugging my gear in and out but I must admit it is tedious!

• Like 2

I will tell you it will be solid, waterproof, long lasting with a removable roof, power and room for all 3 of my mounts permanently setup.

image.png.1672954a427e5e4ac1d17e47872697a3.png

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I initially installed a permanent pier in my back garden simply to make setting up easier, but i still had to make three journeys before and after. It was the after that bothered me most, as I'd be tired and frozen and the scope would be caked in ice. Then I'd have to bring it in to thaw out, then bring in my eyepiece case and power pack, and then go out again to securely cover the mount and electronics. I eventually found I was making excuses so as not to observe. Building an observatory was the best thing I ever did. It shields me from intrusive lights,  freezing winter breezes, and after closing the roof and turning the heater on, it makes a pleasant boys club where my observing buddies can chat without annoying the boss.

1019528522_2020-04-0408_21_32.png.299f93e20465666503c6d28d8df3a5e1.png.071b04eab298762cde3a2d1ff19271cb.png1553711713629_IMG_0598.JPG.6c35fa85bafc2b8dcc75cedb615aadba.thumb.jpeg.e94443a1f3d419258dd5ec05b17b1dac.jpegIMG_7748.JPG.cf6d78547e896c4f405b715c4640e96c.jpeg.ff1a2c58c6ff608fbce265f12fdf4b05.jpeg1611606814296_IMG_5970.thumb.JPG.968edecf7f18e47974a78e32ae894747.JPG

• Like 6

I keep thinking I need an observatory, the only issue is where I set up in my garden for the best views to the south (sort of in the middle, and near the house) would be a very odd place for a structure. Probably need to open up the view near the edge of the garden by cutting down a tree or two (but I hate the thought of that)...

Edited by The Lazy Astronomer
  • Like 1

Mine is a middle ground too.. I'm building it all today/tomorrow. I'm not sure it's something anyone else will want to copy, but for me, it's gonna work a treat I think. I shall leave it there, and post pics when complete.

I feel like you might be proved wrong, so just make sure you've got pics 🙂

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yep (ignoring the moaning from my other half coming down to a kitchen in the morning full of kit)

I wouldn't be doing astrophotography anymore if I hadn't got myself a roll off roof obsy.

Not the biggest, but I have a setup that I can now be going with in ten to fifteen minutes.

22424397_10214731813193907_6975791537955836745_o.thumb.jpg.3ee2d967aa89ee97561c69531172791c.jpg

22228434_10214681431694401_8059106478751759245_n.jpg.a2f8a88ba68f37a99dde92091e7de73f.jpg

260138278_402950121596589_6760880432381364346_n.jpg.b89a976476b83027ef79fb40c4025981.jpg

Neil

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, smudgeball said:

Yep (ignoring the moaning from my other half coming down to a kitchen in the morning full of kit)

I wouldn't be doing astrophotography anymore if I hadn't got myself a roll off roof obsy.

Not the biggest, but I have a setup that I can now be going with in ten to fifteen minutes.

22424397_10214731813193907_6975791537955836745_o.thumb.jpg.3ee2d967aa89ee97561c69531172791c.jpg

22228434_10214681431694401_8059106478751759245_n.jpg.a2f8a88ba68f37a99dde92091e7de73f.jpg

260138278_402950121596589_6760880432381364346_n.jpg.b89a976476b83027ef79fb40c4025981.jpg

Neil

Is that an Apex type shed modded to have the roof roll off? I am thinking of doing just this but with a Pent type roof?

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

stu

100 quid! well now we need details, I think I could even get that past the boss at that price 🤣

• Like 2

Just now, scotty38 said:

Is that an Apex type shed modded to have the roof roll off? I am thinking of doing just this but with a Pent type roof?

I got a company that makes sheds to modify their "outdoor jacuzzi" model ! Sent some drawings of what I wanted and they created it for me. Basically a 7x5 with reinforced walls and out runners for the roof. The roof is pent t ype sloping down away from that photo to rear

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, smudgeball said:

I got a company that makes sheds to modify their "outdoor jacuzzi" model ! Sent some drawings of what I wanted and they created it for me. Basically a 7x5 with reinforced walls and out runners for the roof. The roof is pent t ype sloping down away from that photo to rear

Thanks I saw the sloping internal roof and assumed it was Apex yet couldn't work it out from the external shot - doh!

1 minute ago, smudgeball said:

No mechanism, just a bad back.

lol - I did just mean whatever the rollers are and what they are running on, rather than anything fancy.

If it works, it works 🙂

13 minutes ago, smudgeball said:

Oh and one more question, you're using the GT102 and 7x5 is enough room I guess? I was thinking about 10x6 for my GT81 but now I see this I could clearly get away with smaller. I don't need to put much else in mine but do you ever wish you'd gone bigger????