SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

OK.. I need an observatory..

powerlord

I think I'll add a 60w pipe heater in there, that should keep things nice and dry and keep the humidity down without costing much to run 24/7 - though I'll add a temp or humidity sensor eventually so it will be off for summer/low humidity.

There IS also enough space and headroom to actually sit in there too, so if Im lunar/planetary imaging with the laptop, etc I can sit out there.

Also, I've put one of my smart plugs out there for the outlet for all the mount stuff (wifi on all the time) - so to turn all the mounts, asiairs, dew heaters, cameras and cooling on I just say 'alexa turn observatory on' from anywhere.

Can't do much else now till I get the additional stengthening in.

IF I find the roof removing isn't easy, an alternative I can pursue is for the roof to fold back in 3 or 4 folds. That would work great generally, but I've not though of a way to 100% seal it when unfolded. One possibility is magnetic strip (like for fridges) along the edge of the top, and edges of the roof part, but I need to experiment if that's required as don't know if strong enough. Got some in the garage so I'll try some stuff.

I might get some wee potted bushes and stuff to put around the front of it - disguise it a bit and make it look a bit less like, as @tomato say , some sort of watertank/massive composter.

• Like 1

Ref bad backs and sliding roof....

Consider using an up/over garage door motor kit.
I did just that. Bought a kit with 3M travel to move the pent roof.
Yes I still needed runners and wheels. But much better than reaching and tugging when 🥶🥱

Great idea using correx, where did you get that edging from?

And as an aside, toolstation do a 40W tubular heater with integral thermostat for about £15 if you are still looking for one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

Well, it was 50mph winds all night and heavy rain. I did check on it a few times through the window, but come morning - all is well, and it's still there, undamaged, solid and dry inside 🙂

Brilliant, real pleased it passed the storm test abd with the reinforcement still to be done will be even better, top job, Re the water tank look, I was going for a more covered hot tub look 😉👍

Edited by AstroNebulee

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Ref bad backs and sliding roof....

Consider using an up/over garage door motor kit.
I did just that. Bought a kit with 3M travel to move the pent roof.
Yes I still needed runners and wheels. But much better than reaching and tugging when 🥶🥱

The roof weighs about 2kg... so that would be a bit overkill 🙂

25 minutes ago, M40 said:

Great idea using correx, where did you get that edging from?

And as an aside, toolstation do a 40W tubular heater with integral thermostat for about £15 if you are still looking for one.

here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284533518518

roll of correx from ebay too.

And you'd need the proper glue:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292517417145

Good call about toolstation. I've one 5 mins way - will drop in later today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Brilliant, real pleased it passed the storm test abd with the reinforcement still to be done will be even better, top job, Re the water tank look, I was going for a more covered hot tub look 😉👍

yeh true does a bit. My hot tub is in the conservatory 🙂, so suppose neighbours might think I've two of the things now! Actually really good point though - if I was to put some wooden edging around it really would just look like a hot tub.. hmm...

I'll admit I was a little surprised it held up. Still blowing a gale today - I went and sat inside it - no movement at all - with the internal edging it really is very strong.

If anyone is thinking of something similar:

25m x 1m correx £50

3 x 10m edging  £45

glue sticks  £20

concrete bricks £15

So a bit over my 100 quid at £130 or so all in. Add another £20 for the fibreglass rods still to be fittted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

yeh true does a bit. My hot tub is in the conservatory 🙂, so suppose neighbours might think I've two of the things now! Actually really good point though - if I was to put some wooden edging around it really would just look like a hot tub.. hmm...

That's sounds like a good option and could also help with stability to but then I guess your going into the realms of shed type obsys but still think it would look great 👍, really like your new obsy