NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Monmouth, Wales

Malcolmcelyn

Hi, I'm Malcolm Smith. I live in Monmouth, South Wales. I haven't started my observing journey yet but I've had an interest in Astronomy since growing up during the 'Space Race' in the 60's  I'm hoping to have a Nexstar 127 SLT as a birthday gift soon. I already have a DSLR (Nikon D3100) and some computing power - laptop, Mac etc - so will be hoping to do some a/p in the New Year.

• Like 5

Warm welcome to the Lounge Malcolm and enjoy! Got into astro for the same reasons as you, I’m about an hours drive from you so your probably accustomed to the wet weather 😩

Edited by jock1958

Welcome aboard SGL Malcolm. Good to have you with us.

While waiting for your scope, if you're not already familiar with the night sky, now's a great time to get acquainted. Get yourself a star atlas or app and teach yourself the night sky. That way when you get your scope, you'll already be ahead of the game and be able to find those cool objects quicker.

Hi Malcolm!

I'm fairly new to astronomy too. My first scope only arrived in early summer but I already have a second (it's a very slippery slope).

I live near Lydney in the Forest of Dean, so not far away from you.

On 22/12/2021 at 15:33, Malcolmcelyn said:

I live in Monmouth, South Wales

On 23/12/2021 at 18:25, PeterC65 said:

I live near Lydney in the Forest of Dean,

Hi,

I'm based in Lydney, so it's good to see a couple of locals here.  If you're on Facebook it's worth checking out the Forest of Dean Astronomy Group.

If anyone knows of any decent locations away from the light pollution, I'd be really interested to hear about them.  

Thanks,
Jon

• Like 1