NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I can't get an airy disc, on any star...

Exactly the same for me. I was hoping to test the optics on my SW120ED but every star is terrible even at medium magnification. The Jetstream is directly overhead which I checked after the fact. I guess it will have to wait.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Finishing on Saturn still just now against a lovely china blue sky. It’s really rewarding waiting it out as it gains altitude even though it’s also fading. Before Saturn an absolute marathon of doubles. Nothing super difficult just lots of them - making the most of the clear night even though it never really went dark. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, DAT said:

Caught a bright meteor of some sort between 12:30 and 1:00 just below the big dipper heading south west. Lovely orange tail, must have been in the sky more than a second, can anyone tell me what that was? Did anyone else see it?

Most likely a sporadic meteor. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Come to think of it, I saw a satellite to the West spectacularly flare.  The brightest I've ever seen.  I don't usually pay that much attention to them but it was cause for a double-take.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Seriously, are they having a laugh?

Yes they are and it's usually at our expense . 

Whilst I get that the weather is a "forecast" you would think by now with all the equipment they have they could get the basics right . Oh hang on they do sometimes , when they say sunshine and showers .. the old "get out of jail free card " for the weather forecasters . 

Sorry , but the weather people are at best average ... Rant over ! 

• Like 4

My first good session observing the part of the  milky way from casseopia through to arcturus ( I have observed here a few times but this was first time with experience to make the most of the opportunity).   Wonderful night but most enjoyed M29 and M39.   I think my eyes have mild visual snow so time spent on M13 was good but hard to discern individual stars.  Also second hand first light on my Comet Hunter.  I need to sort another spacer for visual observation however I loved it.  Also tried dual scope for first time but ended up neglecting my ED103.   All my kit I have acquired second hand which has been fun and I have met some very nice people along the way.  My faithfull companion (1 of 2) stayed to the end.

20240608_224937.thumb.jpg.d4625eb90e43523694513c35c3085348.jpg

• Like 19

I had a chance to test out my pier last night. I only had the ST80 on it but wanted to get polar aligned etc. As the sky isn't fully dark I thought I would stay with a few doubles. The seeing wasn't too bad as  could see clear elongation in Porrima at x33. 

I did have a try for Antares but it was not quite high enough although I might be able to see it when it culminates.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 8

I forgot to mention, At 00.18 BST, I saw an extraordinary procession of (presumably Starlink) satellites, around 20 in a long, very straight line. I've seen Starlink before, but these ones were a very obvious bright blue colour. I remember seeing a recent thread about someone observing blue satellites.

I'm always conflicted when I see these. I know they're a curse to astronomers, but it was an impressive sight.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

I forgot to mention, At 00.18 BST, I saw an extraordinary procession of (presumably Starlink) satellites, around 20 in a long, very straight line. I've seen Starlink before, but these ones were a very obvious bright blue colour. I remember seeing a recent thread about someone observing blue satellites.

I'm always conflicted when I see these. I know they're a curse to astronomers, but it was an impressive sight.

I caught these too. Was quite striking. IMG_4726.thumb.jpeg.d3944ad8a84d86ad8ee22e68e92b00fc.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

From Southampton… one of the best nights I’ve had in months and probably the best summers night I’ve ever had. Seeing not bad, but transparency outstanding! Ended up an all nighter too. M29, M57, M27, Albireo, M13, M11, M17, M8 and Saturn. Which is a lot for me, but conditions were so good I thought that I had to make the most of it, especially with our recent run of poor weather. Maybe do a full report (or “fuller” report) in a bit. 

Full-ish report here… 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

From Southampton… one of the best nights I’ve had in months and probably the best summers night I’ve ever had. Seeing not bad, but transparency outstanding! Ended up an all nighter too. M29, M57, M27, Albireo, M13, M11, M17, M8 and Saturn. Which is a lot for me, but conditions were so good I thought that I had to make the most of it, especially with our recent run of poor weather. Maybe do a full report (or “fuller” report) in a bit. 

Full-ish report here… 

Nice report Peter. You were lucky in that you escaped the Jetstream whereas I was engulfed by it. This photo is from today and the only difference to last night is that it was a good bit further south last night. I am going out tonight with an artificial star to check the optics on my 120ED.

Screenshot_20240609-132853.png.b2e62e9473f036935fff95480211f607.png

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Nice report Peter. You were lucky in that you escaped the Jetstream whereas I was engulfed by it. This photo is from today and the only difference to last night is that it was a good bit further south last night. I am going out tonight with an artificial star to check the optics on my 120ED.

Screenshot_20240609-132853.png.b2e62e9473f036935fff95480211f607.png

Yes, certainly a little bit of luck! If I’d known I would have been an hour earlier. But I know that here the local sky is generally at its most dark at or after 1:30pm-ish. The time went so fast. It was also frustrating (no surprise) to lose darkness so early and as soon as the sun came close it was really obvious. By of course for Saturn/large planets it’s not so important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterStudz said:

Yes, certainly a little bit of luck! If I’d known I would have been an hour earlier. But I know that here the local sky is generally at its most dark at or after 1:30pm-ish. The time went so fast. It was also frustrating (no surprise) to lose darkness so early and as soon as the sun came close it was really obvious. By of course for Saturn/large planets it’s not so important.

I was considering staying up a little later and capturing an image or two of Saturn myself saying that I was out until 2.45am. Unfortunately the horrendous viewing conditions quickly put the dampeners on that idea. I'm glad that @Mr Spock confirmed the conditions in his area and that I hadn't indeed purchased a complete lemon 😂.

• Haha 1

Another dark site visit, this time it was generally completely clear! Moon set so milky way was also visible. But we can't have it all good, it was quite blustery out, tried one of my imaging rigs but had all sorts of issues. Didn't have time to setup visual in the end which is what I might concentrate on next time. But highlight of the night even though we all hate them, two sets of Starlink trains, certainly a bit of a visual treat.

• Like 6

Spent the weekend out on the dark Norfolk coast. Lovely dark skies, for June, that the Tak FC100 and I thoroughly enjoyed. Highlights were the Swan and Eagle Nebula in the same FOV with an OIII. Similarly the whole Veil complex in the same FOV followed by the NAN and Pelican nebula. Even the Crescent nebula was visible. With dark skies, 4” of aperture can show a lot. The summer Milky Way, a real treat naked eye. 
IMG_4714.thumb.jpeg.b609f267961801ed2135111376668ad3.jpegIMG_4715.thumb.jpeg.c431de8f1a953fda460a536e5e6da140.jpegIMG_4731.thumb.jpeg.139a2eeb527aec4d3b431e5d54b9841f.jpeg

• Like 20

Watching a lovely waxing crescent moon through my living room window in the 12x36 binoculars. Noticeable craters Atlas, Macrobius, Cleomedes, Langrenus, Steinheil & Watt, Biela, Boussingault, Helmholtz and what I think is Scott. Two contasty maria in Crisium and Fecunditatis easily showing too. 

Feels like I’m cheating observing in a warm house. 😅

• Like 8

Clear here with decent transparency.  Some turbulence high up but apparently the jet stream is South of me at the moment.

I only looked at one object and amazingly for me it wasn't M81 or M82.  Instead, M13 was in a good spot from my garden and Vega stares at me from the back door - so it's trivial to find.  Tried the 'dressing gown over my head' trick again to block out some of the ambient light and could feel my observing improving as I went on.  Could have stuck out the C5 but (for whatever reason) decided to keep the Altair 70ED refractor on the mount with my trusty WO 20mm Swan eyepiece.

Good detail, decent contrast and some traces of individual resolution towards the very edge.  Obviously small in my FOV given the magnification, so I tried my 2x Barlow but it just muddied things, so went back to the native magnification.  Was a lovely thing to observe and spending a little time to let the view develop was very worthwhile.

I really need to get my eyes tested.  I can't observe with glasses on but I do have an astigmatism in my right eye.  My left eye was showing odd traces of 'snow' or unnecessary fuzz even though it was marginally sharper as a result of having less astigmatism.  I have tried contact lenses in the past but never had much luck with them.  I just don't feel like it's ever quite in focus and it's nothing to do with the optics of the scope, which are fairly immaculate.  I think I'm going to see if there's any advice for my situation out there.  Day-to-day eyesight is absolutely fine but with the lower contrast of the Summer months I'm finding it proportionally harder than I should.  I'm only (just) 36 for Goodness' sake...

Nevertheless, a very enjoyable time and I'd have slapped myself tomorrow if I hadn't taken the opportunity.

• Like 7

On 09/06/2024 at 08:25, AL1 said:

My faithfull companion (1 of 2) stayed to the end.

Lovely to have some company. In my case, our lab seems to delight in constantly dropping her ball against the tripod leg just so I don’t forget she is there 🤪🤪

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely to have some company. In my case, our lab seems to delight in constantly dropping her ball against the tripod leg just so I don’t forget she is there 🤪🤪

My lab has discovered that eyepiece caps are a delight to chew. This helps me in being “organised” and encourages me not  to drop any on the ground 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A fun day / evening / night yesterday.
A solar filter turned up in the post so I put it on the 150 and spent about an hour looking at sun spots (etc) - unable to get any photos as the weight of the canon was adjusting the focus and it was too bright to see my laptop screen - to be honest that  really is a 1st world problem !!

Then about 2100 I noticed a lovely crescent moon to the West so I put the mini mak onto the terrace and spent a very pleasant 30 mins on that - again no photos as I couldn't sort the phone adaptor as the moon dropped over our roof line..

Then later I couldn't sleep so I got up and spotted clear skies and stars - so put the mini mak down into the back courtyard and traced out Leo. 

Lots of variety for one day :)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stu said:

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

My lab has discovered that eyepiece caps are a delight to chew. This helps me in being “organised” and encourages me not  to drop any on the ground 😀

We just got a puppy, I look forward to taking her out with me for some sessions 🥰

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

We just got a puppy, I look forward to taking her out with me for some sessions 🥰

I have a dog that is almost completely black and quite large.  She also has a habit of sitting right behind me.  Bit of a shock when you try to step back from the eyepiece for a quick moment...

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Haha 3

I think I've seen more observing reports in the last couple of weeks than the first 6 months of the year.  More than makes up for the lack of dark skies up here and is fairly working my appetite up!

Keep them coming!

• Like 7