NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkySafari Pro 7

IB20

Just now, Captain Magenta said:

The “problem” with the nexus dsc I find is that it’s so good in native mode, I feel less urge to use it in a different way. I must force myself to smartphone it…

The DSC is very good, and when you don’t want the hassle is great. Do give it a go with the phone though, adds a whole new dimension I think. Panning around and watching the screen move allows you to see what is nearby and find targets you may not have thought of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I have 6 Plus on my phone and also on my Mac. I think I had to pay twice to get it on two devices. Is that the case with the upgrade??…..Do you have to pay twice??

You shouldn’t  have to pay twice for different devices, I don’t remember having to do that on iPhone/pad

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

You shouldn’t  have to pay twice for different devices, I don’t remember having to do that on iPhone/pad

You don't have to pay twice providing the devices run the same operating system which is iOS in the case of iPhone/ipad.

However, the Mac laptop or desktop runs on a totally different operating system from the IPhone/iPad which is why you have to pay twice.

Exactly the same as having to buy one copy for an iPhone/iPad and having to purchase another copy for a phone/tablet running Android.

• Sad 1

So far as android is concerned you pay once and can install it on multiple devices. I was given an old iPad recently which I only use to control my headless imaging PC via VNC, if I wanted to put SyySafari on that I'd have to pay again. I don't think it's so much the vendors making a fast buck, more an unfortunate consequence of the distribution via Apple Store (whatever it's called) and google play. Those platforms don't know you've already paid elsewhere.

I bought it yesterday but I my initial impression is that the free Star Chart has clearer maps and the UI is more intuitive. I only bought SS7 for double stars but now wondering if it was a good decision.

1 hour ago, Spile said:

I bought it yesterday but I my initial impression is that the free Star Chart has clearer maps and the UI is more intuitive. I only bought SS7 for double stars but now wondering if it was a good decision.

I just had a look at Star Chart and I’m sure you will find SkySafari better once you’ve found you way around it a bit more. It is much more capable and should be ideal for finding doubles.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spile said:

If you click on the ‘Observe’ button on the tool bar then select ‘Observing lists’ and click the ‘+Create List’ button at the bottom right of the screen it will offer to ‘Import List’. Select that and it takes you to a repository of observing lists, scroll down and you’ll find ‘Coloured doubles’ and ‘The Cambridge double star atlas’ lists which will give you some nice double star targets. 

I think with SkySafari it becomes an exceptional Astro tool the more you work out what it can do!

• Like 2

Chaps, this is an interesting thread, I have Sky Safari and barely ever use it, lack of use is lack of knowing how good it is.

Well last night I had a play and other than some annoyances of my own making, it’s rather good, so good I may just buy the newest version and give it a decent run out.

The Observing list and the like and now importing lists sounds brilliant, had no idea it can do that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Chaps, this is an interesting thread, I have Sky Safari and barely ever use it, lack of use is lack of knowing how good it is.

Well last night I had a play and other than some annoyances of my own making, it’s rather good, so good I may just buy the newest version and give it a decent run out.

The Observing list and the like and now importing lists sounds brilliant, had no idea it can do that.

It’s a really great app Alan and as you say, the more you use it the better it gets. It’s great to be able to setup your kit in it and display fov circles for the particular scope and eyepiece you are using. If you tune the star visibility and orientation to what you see then star hopping becomes really easy.

You can highlight the objects in a list too to make it easier to see what’s in the area you are observing. Connect it to a push to or Goto scope and well, the world is your lobster! 🤪🤪

5F12F955-787E-41EE-B2F0-35FD05921B5F.png

Undecided if I will upgrade from 6 pro to 7 for use with the AZ100. 🤔 Liminos 9 should also work with the AZ100 judging by the settings available. Or maybe just wait until I’m sure Luminos works.

Wonder if there will be a half price offer on 7 as they often have offers. 🤔

36 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Undecided if I will upgrade from 6 pro to 7 for use with the AZ100. 🤔 Liminos 9 should also work with the AZ100 judging by the settings available. Or maybe just wait until I’m sure Luminos works.

Wonder if there will be a half price offer on 7 as they often have offers. 🤔

It is on offer now, retails at £44 normally ($50). No sign of the plus or standard versions yet though.

1 minute ago, markse68 said:

it’s half price now John! I think i prefer the look of the older gui so won’t be rushing out though the improved star rendering Stu pointed out is appealing 

Yep, and it does include all the extra star catalogues and the HR diagram function which is good. I do like the Skycast and Onecast features, could be fun at a star party to see what everyone is viewing.

Just been comparing the features of SkySafari 7 to Luminos 9.9 and not a lot of difference. 7 has social star gazing but not interested in that at all so at the moment not seeing any reason to buy 7. Will all depend if Luminos does work with the AZ100.

Looks like they have copied a number of the fearures in Luminos. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

Big fan of the Jupiter transits notification feature, unsure whether this is new or not?

5629DF02-6FF9-4772-8533-252F5475B833.jpeg

My v6 SkySafari ("Plus", on Android) has notifications for "planet risings" and "bright satellites and flares" but not for those transits, so I'm assuming that is new. The v7 comparison charts list "Custom Event Notifications" as a new feature.

I can't see an updated user manual for v7 anywhere.

• Like 1

One more question to those who already took the plunge ( @Stu 😉)

Have they added a means to calibrate the live AR view alignment? My phone is probably crap but it’s always off eg i’ll point at Jupiter and it’ll say Jupiter is off to the left somewhere. I had a free astro app before that had sliders so you could centre the object in fov and thus calibrate the app to your phone’s sensors- worked really well. Bugs me that a premium app like this doesn’t allow it, though other features more than make up for it. Does Luminos have this @johninderby?

Mark

Edited by markse68

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I just need to say Thanks all,
over a weekend when I was trying to make no purchases, well, I have failed.
Just upgraded from earlier PLus to 7 Pro at the half price, as others say, wow, expemsive app, but hey.

To add to this, found my iPad Mini of a few years vintage will not run this as it needs iOS 14 onwards and Mini only goes to 12!

Now my non spending weekend is destroyed 

33 minutes ago, Alan White said:

To add to this, found my iPad Mini of a few years vintage will not run this as it needs iOS 14 onwards and Mini only goes to 12!

Now my non spending weekend is destroyed 

I found exactly this with my astro phone which is an iPhone 6 @Alan White

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, markse68 said:

One more question to those who already took the plunge ( @Stu 😉)

Have they added a means to calibrate the live AR view alignment? My phone is probably crap but it’s always off eg i’ll point at Jupiter and it’ll say Jupiter is off to the left somewhere. I had a free astro app before that had sliders so you could centre the object in fov and thus calibrate the app to your phone’s sensors- worked really well. Bugs me that a premium app like this doesn’t allow it, though other features more than make up for it. Does Luminos have this @johninderby?

Mark

It sounds like your phone needs the compass calibrating... rather than leaving it uncalibrated and offsetting the error in other apps that use the compass....

You don't say what phone you have.... but I suggest you google it and you'll find instructions for android and ios....

HTH YMMV

Edited by globular

3 hours ago, markse68 said:

Mark

I’ve just tried this, like you my AR is always slightly off.

If you select the AR mode in Pro 7 you can overlay the view in real time which allows you to change the transparency and move the view into the correct position which I’ve just done with Jupiter. Blanket clouds have drifted over now which have stopped me in my tracks!