SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First view of Orion Nebula

Hi everyone. 

As still new to this and only got my first scope  in the summer,  I haven't had a chance to see Orion rise in the sky yet.

I couldn't sleep last night and at 3.30 decided to get up ,looking outside I could see clear skies, quickly getting dressed rolled the dob out of the shed not having time to cool down I could see clouds coming in from the west.

Using the 28mm ep to find the Orion Nebula it looked magnificent, added a uhc filter but it didn't look any different, I changed to a es 82 degrees 6.6mm and was very pleased on how good the ep was, at 4.15 the clouds covered everything so rolled the dob back in and it started to rain as usual 😪

Can you see any colour in Orion Nebula with any other filters or is it always going to be grey I know you won't see it like the way it is in books.

Thanks dave

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Can you see any colour in Orion Nebula with any other filters or is it always going to be grey I know you won't see it like the way it is in books

Nice opportunist session Dave. Did you spy the trapezium of four stars in the centre?

The most I’ve managed is a green tint to it. I believe that with very big scopes and very dark skies you can start to get pinks and reds, but it will never be anything like the images I’m afraid. Most DSOs are grey smudges of varying shapes and sizes!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice opportunist session Dave. Did you spy the trapezium of four stars in the centre?

The most I’ve managed is a green tint to it. I believe that with very big scopes and very dark skies you can start to get pinks and reds, but it will never be anything like the images I’m afraid. Most DSOs are grey smudges of varying shapes and sizes!

Hi Stu did you use any filters when you saw a green tint

1 minute ago, Dave scutt said:

Hi Stu did you use any filters when you saw a green tint

No, I didn’t. I do use OIII and UHC filters on nebulae but wouldn’t trust those to show true colour. I’ve viewed it without filters and seen green tints even in a 4” scope. Strangely, the colour shows better in smaller scopes when I’m less dark adapted, I guess because my eye’s cones are still being stimulated? Give it a go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Orion nebula is one of the brightest nebulae in the sky, so filters are generally not needed unless you live in a particularly light polluted area.

12 inch Dob in Bortle 3 will give a magnificent view of it, congratulations! :)

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 1

If I see tints in Messier 42 they are generally greenish and particularly around the "fishes mouth" / Trapezium - Hygenian region.

I have occasionally seen pale pink tints in the "sail" and "sword" sections when I use my Astronomik UHC filter on this target.

These are faint and subtle though.

The view with a 12 inch scope is outstanding !

M2-Orion-tight-sketchINVERT_ANNO_ST_edited-1.jpg.061db6fd31ad74df46135eeddfb1ed8e.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 4

I seem to remember M42 showed a slight green hue in my 8” dob under Bortle 5/6 skies. This was enhanced slightly with the Astronomik UHC filter.

It’s been a while though, very much looking forward to observing it again soon. 

• Like 1

Next clear skies (hopefully) I let the dob cool down and might have some time to study closer, is it best under low or high magnification. 

Thanks for all your replies 

Edited by Dave scutt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

Those skies man… 🎉

Yea observer's paradise. At least while the sky isn't cloudy.

Well done Dave. When the winter skies darken a bit more and Orion rises, you're in for a treat with the dob and yes without a filter I've noted a green hue too.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

When I was a lot younger m42 definitely displayed a green hue. And it certainly wasn't a hint or open to interpretation. Even with the 12 sct these days I don't see colour at all, even though the sight is still a stand out favourite of mine. There's a lot to be said for starting this hobby early with those young eyes... 😉

• Like 5

Congratulations! Its a breathtaking object & sounds like you have great views and the equipment to enjoy it at its best. 

Interesting to note in the thread above a couple of folk saying they could see a green colour when younger or that their kids can see the colours. I came back to astronomy after many years and had a distinct memory of the Orion Nebula as glowing green - now at 50, its all just grey mist & shadows...

Clear skies! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

Congratulations! Its a breathtaking object & sounds like you have great views and the equipment to enjoy it at its best. 

Interesting to note in the thread above a couple of folk saying they could see a green colour when younger or that their kids can see the colours. I came back to astronomy after many years and had a distinct memory of the Orion Nebula as glowing green - now at 50, its all just grey mist & shadows...

Clear skies! 

I've noticed, when doing outreach events with my astro society, that it is often the younger eyes that can pick up colour tints more readily than older folks can. Maybe younger eyes are more receptive to colour ?

• Like 1