Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Io transiting Jupiter tonight

Kon

That was pretty spectacular. Wasn’t really sure how Io would appear as SkySafari just shows it appearing out of thin air. 

I could detect it dimly but from first sight to full bright appearance seemed to last seconds. Been a real treat tonight, made up for last night’s disappointment!

Good seeing tonight lovely oval BA , lots of structure in the EZ, also the  SEB starting to look a lot stronger transparency good ,seeing 6/7 out 10 sometimes 8 the view in the binoviewer at 320x stunning  the big maknewt is rocking tonight 

Edited by stuy
  • Like 1

Just catching the end of a Europa transit and trailing GRS. Couldn’t differentiate between moon shadow and GRS in the 80mm but the extra aperture in the 8” dob was showing it nicely, quite a difficult observation when the shadow is close the planetary edge. Three large banks of cloud have drifted over now which is annoying! 

Will keep the scopes out until Ganymede occultation about 10:15ish.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Just catching the end of a Europa transit and trailing GRS. Couldn’t differentiate between moon shadow and GRS in the 80mm but the extra aperture in the 8” dob was showing it nicely, quite a difficult observation when the shadow is close the planetary edge. Three large banks of cloud have drifted over now which is annoying! 

Will keep the scopes out until Ganymede occultation about 10:15ish.

I’ve also been enjoying Europa shadow transit playing tag team with the GRS this evening 

Seeing is coming and going

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I’ve also been enjoying Europa shadow transit playing tag team with the GRS this evening 

Seeing is coming and going

Yep, the seeing isn’t there to push the mag tonight but there are moments it settles down. Bagged 5 Saturnian moons again, Tethys appearing really close to the top of Saturn. Marvellous. 😃

Just now, Stu said:

SORRY! I only noticed when I checked SkySafari having read this thread!

Tbh is wasn’t paying much attention to the moons as I was testing bino vs cyclops viewing on the planet itself as I mentioned on the bino thread

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Sounds good all. Anyone catch the three moons in a vertical line a little earlier?

DE96B004-4CA2-4998-B34F-3B0D0D6BE6C0.png

Hi Stu

I was watching the Moons last night and saw Europa and Ganymede belt past each other. It was interesting to watch the motion as the way their relative position changed in minutes was quite an eye opener.

Io was on the other side of Jupiter and Callisto was a lot further out. 

Cheers

Ian