Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Io transiting Jupiter tonight

Kon

That ingress of Io was nice :icon_biggrin:

Seeing really variable currently. One moment it's looking good and I'm about to call my other half out to take a look, the next it's like observing Jupiter under a stream of running water :rolleyes2:

I think I'll let her carry on watching her film ......

Nice seeing the mechanics of the solar system at work before our eyes though, isn't it ? :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 3

Toes going numb now, I guess flip flops weren’t such a good idea 🤪🤪

Same here John, quite nice one minute, ‘orrible the next! Will pack in soon, although just had a good spell so that always tempts me to stay out!

• Like 1

Same here. Surprise clear night, but seeing is terrible.

Transparency is very poor too. Faint high clouds and the nearly full moon makes it impossible to see all but the brightest stars with the naked-eye. I can barely make out Cassiopeia.

I've come back in for an early night!

Enjoyed myself tracking this whole event tonight, although seeing was meehhh. It is a goodnight from me; I have to be up early so I cannot wait until 1am for Io's reappearance; looking forward to reading updates tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Darn ! :undecided:

Just popped out for what was to be my last peek before packing in and the seeing is the best it's been all evening ! :rolleyes2:

In the steadier moments, the ginger colour of the north equatorial belt contrasts nicely with the greyer tone of the south equatorial belt. Io's shadow is nearly in the centre of Jupiter's disk just now.

Now, do I have the energy for another 30-40 minutes of this :icon_scratch:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

I've been distracted by some double stars, the moon (though practically full) and Neptune's tiny blue disk. Back on Jupiter again now though it's starting to sink lower so that will impact the seeing.

Being mobbed by some Tawny Owls as well, just to add to the atmosphere !

Edited by John
  • Haha 2

I've just observed the final stages of Io's transit and it's re-emergence onto the backdrop of space, leaving it's shadow temporarily on Jupiter's equatorial cloud tops. Rather magical :icon_biggrin:

I'm packing up now. Many thanks to @Kon for starting this thread as a "heads up" :icon_salut:

Very enjoyable session despite the ups and downs of the seeing.

stellarium-000.png.f6ab172f8199605dff3567fcf165155f.png

• Like 4

Nice one @John. Like you I had some better seeing right towards the end, but then I had to call it a night before Io re-emerged unfortunately. Good to be out there, even if it wasn’t great seeing. I could see the potential in the scope in the better moments.

• Like 1

Seeing here in South Wales was very poor jet stream doing its worst I’m afraid but on the plus side looks very favourable for tonight! I can’t moan I’ve had some of the best seeing in years here lately, thank god I built the observatory a godsend the thought of lugging up 35 kg scopes every time is a killer !!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stuy said:

.... thank god I built the observatory a godsend the thought of lugging up 35 kg scopes every time is a killer !!!

That's why I stick to portable scopes :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John

4 hours ago, stuy said:

Seeing here in South Wales was very poor jet stream doing its worst I’m afraid but on the plus side looks very favourable for tonight! I can’t moan I’ve had some of the best seeing in years here lately, thank god I built the observatory a godsend the thought of lugging up 35 kg scopes every time is a killer !!!

Yes, I agree. Certainly less appealing as you get older. 

13 hours ago, IB20 said:

Only just managing to see the shadow, more of a diffuse grey disc than the pin sharp black dot I saw two weeks ago for the same moon transit. Some of the worst seeing I’ve experienced tonight. 🚮

That was about the same for me. No inky black razor sharp shadow, just a dull grey, less defined disk. It just didn't want to play ball last night. But it was good to be out though.

• Like 3

Transparency about the same as last night but seeing much better, not quite “good” but not hard to beat yesterday. Europa and Jupiter occultation around 10:20pm so will hopefully get to observe.

Have just had some lovely views of Saturn at 133x with the 6mm Starbase Ortho. 

• Like 1