Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night Sky - 6½ hour animation - not many Perseids

Here's a video of about 6½ hours of 30 second exposures from my garden, from about 22:00 BST to 04:30 BST) compressed into just over a minute. Canon 700d, 8mm Samyang fisheye lens, f/3.5, ISO 800. Night of 11th August 2021.

The aim was to capture some Perseids. There were a few relatively minor ones, plus a few planes, satellite trails and flares. Nice cloud movement, though!

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 13

• lukebl changed the title to Night Sky - 6½ hour animation - not many Perseids

Cracking video Luke. Now i know why I only saw two meteors after an hour of looking. They are either too few in number or just too faint for my light polluted sky. Try again tonight. Will you be doing another video tonight if you get the chance?

1 minute ago, russ said:

Will you be doing another video tonight if you get the chance?

Thanks! I sure will. The forecast here is fairly promising for tonight, and there should be a lot more activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lukebl said:

Thanks! I sure will. The forecast here is fairly promising for tonight, and there should be a lot more activity.

Good luck. Look forward to seeing your next video.

1 hour ago, lukebl said:

.... and there should be a lot more activity.

Let's hope so.... I had 4 cameras going last night   ( none of them really wide enough by themselves ).. all in different directions, and did not catch very many.

It is like the lottery, waiting for the big one....   and then maybe one bigger  !!

Here's mine  - shot last night with a gopro 8 to see how that would fair as an allsky job. It was shot in 'nightmode' iso 800 max, 30 second exposure, one frame every minute.

I've done a few edits - first is a stretch/process in lightroom per raw frame, combined into a video. and then a close up, then next is just the raw jps in video.

Anyway, 12mp stills, edited into 4k video.

Quite noisy, but main issue is because it's a 180 lens, I should have put a bit of bog roll or summit around it, to block out light from my house, neighbours, etc - as that coming in  from sides has swamped things. Not much dynamic range really. will try it again next clear night.

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 1