NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Northern Ireland

Sigma

Hey, I've just signed up to SGL, I don't normally do these intro things but you seem nice here so I'm going to say hi.

I've always had a passing interest in astronomy and the night sky but never really got into it. In the past year or so I've been listening to the Awesome Astronomy podcast which I guess has slowly influenced me because in the past few months I've bought myself 10x50 binoculars and I couldn't stop there, a few weeks later I saw a used Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P EQ5 up for sale and I couldn't pass up on it.

I've been reading these forums a lot over the past few weeks and I've learned a tonne! From helpful guides on how to use my new telescope to finding interesting targets to view by reading about your observing sessions. The forums have been a huge help to get me off to a good start, so thank you.

Now I'm off to check if the clouds have cleared up at all.

Edited by Sigma
  • Like 3

Hi and welcome.

7 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Now I'm off to check if the clouds have cleared up at all.

Clear nights are a rare and precious thing in the UK. Which is why many of us spend so much time on here talking about astronomy. 😄

5 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Clear nights are a rare and precious thing in the UK.

Indeed they are, I was back inside within a minute :(

I've seen mention of a new equipment curse, I believe I was the cause of 2 weeks of cloud at the beginning of July because I had bought those binoculars.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Indeed they are, I was back inside within a minute :(

I've seen mention of a new equipment curse, I believe I was the cause of 2 weeks of cloud at the beginning of July because I had bought those binoculars.

New equipment guarantees at least 2 to 3 weeks of solid cloud.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Welcome to SGL!  There are a few NI members on here. I’m Cookstown based  myself, doing a bit of work at Davagh, where are you at yourself?

Adam. 

Hey Adam, I'm in Antrim town, so I'm not too far away. I hope to get a night at the dark sky reserve sometime, I'm thinking of camping at shepard's rest which is just down the road from it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sigma said:

Hey Adam, I'm in Antrim town, so I'm not too far away. I hope to get a night at the dark sky reserve sometime, I'm thinking of camping at shepard's rest which is just down the road from it.

I didn’t even realise they had a camp site there! That would be handy alright 👍🏼

Welcome. Nice to see another Norn Iron member :)

I'm near Dromore and am the pretty new to astronomy. I managed to finally get a SW-200P recently and managed to see Saturn and Jupiter. Blown away.

I am lucky to have dark sky's at home, but lots of cloud at the moment :).

• Like 1

My first views of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn were amazing, really breathtaking.

Then I moved on to some deep sky objects which were, how do I put this . . . somewhat less impressive from my back garden which is in the town. That's why I'm hoping to get a trip out to the OM Dark Sky Park in Davagh forest soon to get some better views of a few Messier objects.

Hello from Lisburn. I'm also pretty new. I haven't had much opportunity to get my telescope out over the last few months though. Being a new dad is exhausting!

Edited by CiaranG
  • Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 17:39, Sigma said:

...  I've bought myself 10x50 binoculars and I couldn't stop there, a few weeks later I saw a used Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P EQ5 up for sale and I couldn't pass up on it. ... 

You got a nice telescope and a good binocular. I use both all the time when I am out. Very often the binos help me verify a naked-eye view before I search with my telescope. But I also just lay back in the chaise and look with the binocular. It is a different experience, entirely. Your telescope was an enviable catch. Ask here about "eyepieces" (oculars). Your instrument came with two, I believe (or should have if you bought it used) plus a 2X Barlow. Those should give you a good range of views. You will find that easy clusters such as the Pleiades and the Beehive (as well as the Moon, of course) require the wider views. With stars, you usually do not gain much with more magnification. They are just stars. 

That said, though, if you take to chasing binaries and other deep space objects (DSOs), you will appreciate having more power. 

But first things first. 

I will also underscore the comments about your own bad weather being caused by your having purchased a telescope. Now you have time to chat here and to read. The stars are pretty at any magnification. What makes viewing them satisfactory is understanding what you are looking at.  Used bookstores and your local library will be easy resources. Many people belong to groups such as the British Astronomical Association and the Society for Popular Astronomy. I subscribe to several magazines -- and my own national professional society just bought Sky & Telescope -- and personally, I get the most from Popular Astronomy magazine.

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Edited by mikemarotta
fix typos
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CiaranG said:

Hello from Lisburn. I'm also pretty new. I haven't had much opportunity to get my telescope out over the last few months though. Being a new dad is exhausting!

Hey Ciaran, I have two under two so I get ya. It's great to see so many people from NI here, I am hoping to join a club in the area once they are back running again.

12 hours ago, mikemarotta said:

You got a nice telescope and a good binocular. I use both all the time when I am out. Very often the binos help me verify a naked-eye view before I search with my telescope. But I also just lay back in the chaise and look with the binocular. It is a different experience, entirely. Your telescope was an enviable catch. Ask here about "eyepieces" (oculars). Your instrument came with two, I believe (or should have if you bought it used) plus a 2X Barlow. Those should give you a good range of views. You will find that easy clusters such as the Pleiades and the Beehive (as well as the Moon, of course) require the wider views. With stars, you usually do not gain much with more magnification. They are just stars. 

That said, though, if you take to chasing binaries and other deep space objects (DSOs), you will appreciate having more power. 

But first things first. 

I will also underscore the comments about your own bad weather being caused by your having purchased a telescope. Now you have time to chat here and to read. The stars are pretty at any magnification. What makes viewing them satisfactory is understanding what you are looking at.  Used bookstores and your local library will be easy resources. Many people belong to groups such as the British Astronomical Association and the Society for Popular Astronomy. I subscribe to several magazines -- and my own national professional society just bought Sky & Telescope -- and personally, I get the most from Popular Astronomy magazine.

Best Regards,

Mike M.

That's for all the great advice! I ordered The Cambridge Star Atlas from FLO and it arrived this morning so if the curse continues tonight I will be reading through it. I took a quick flick through and there seems to be a lot of information in it.

• 3 weeks later...