Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I like my TMB! First processed test image...M51

RobH

Hello folks,

As some of you know, I've been fighting a battle with my new gear to get the guiding working properly and haven't done any serious imaging with the rig yet as I've been using the brief clear spells to try to get it all working properly.

Thanks to Phil, Martin, Dennis and Dave for the help and advice. I was getting a bit disheartened but you guys helped loads.

I've used various test subjects, and managed to grab all the required data for a colour image for some.

This is the result on M51.

Not enough colour subs so I had to do a lot of noise reduction, and the moon didn't help matters but I have to say I think I rather like this scope.

Compared to the best I managed of M51 with my 14 inch SCT, this is better....cleaner and crisper.

I'll add more subs to this when I get the chance, as I'd like to bring out the really faint stuff more, but this is as far as I'll push it on this one as any further and the noise gets too much.

TMB152@F8

Atik 16HR

Astronomik filters.

L. 30 x 300 secs 1x1

R. 8 x 150 secs 2x2

G. 9 x 150 secs 2x2

B. 7 x 150 secs 2x2

Ha.9 x 300 secs 2x2

Ha was added to the red subs as a layer on top and the blend mode set to 'lighten'.

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877355976_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time flies Rob. It seems not so long ago you had just got home after a long spell of absence, now you have to report back.

Well, you can certainly feel a lot happier with the TMB now mate, your M51 is top drawer. It is just like a bejewelled Item from Her Majesty's Jewel Box. It has to be a candidate for Publication.

Anyway, roll on your next break, so we can get some more Images like this .

Good Luck Rob.

Ron. :(

Crikey Rob! Just look at the clarity and crispness in the dust! Superb.

Would put that extra contrast and clarity down to the TMB then? I am seriously thinking of swapping my c9.25 for a refractor because of this very thing, and here looks like more evidence.

As I have a OSC camera, I'd be interested to know if you have to refocus for each filter/colour?? It is my understanding that with a good triplet, all the colours should reach focus at the same point, is that your experience?

Guess what, the 'Rob Hodgkinson folder' on my laptop is nearly as large as my 'Hubble folder' now :(

Cheers

Tim

Thanks all, you are very kind :-)

Ron, it really doen't seem like 5 minutes ago since I was last working, but it's nearly 3 months, and boy, what a cloudy 3 months!

TJ, Yes, I certainly put the clarity and contrast down to the refractor.

When I put the image together, the colours needed very little adjustment, and there were no fringes on the stars. They've had nothing done to them, but with the SCT I always spent hours working on the stars.

I really should focus just a little between filters, but that is only because they don't all sit at quite the same distance in the filter wheel, something I need to look at.

If they were all in the same plane, I wouldn't need to.

I've just been looking at an electric focusser from Featherlight instruments which will fit my focuser, and interface with focusmax, so if I get that at some stage I can input an offset to account for any slight changes, plus I get temperature compensation too.

TBH though, with the colour subs binned 2x2 sitting behind a luminance layer, on this I don't think you notice that I didn't refocus.

I was spending most of the time while shooting this fiddling with the guide settings and didn't really check focus as much as I should have.

Cheers

Rob

So... what do you think of the CGE now?

Phil.

I like it Phil, but still hanker after an AP1200!!!

I think it's one of those bits of kit you will get to know well, but it'll take time to get the best out of it. I'm pretty near the limit with it, so balance is critical I think.

As Amanda said to me earlier though, it took me 9 months to get the LX200 working to the max.

Cheers

Rob

Archived