Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd hand ED 100 problem, thoughts?

Hello people.

I have just taken receipt of a OTA as title says and I am looking for opinions and advice.

It was listed as follows:

Skywatcher 100ED + the excellent Moonlite Focuser. In excellent working condition lid has come a bit loose on the box

First the lid, it isn't loose, it is clearly broken and possibly dropped but certainly not just loose

20210524_083916.thumb.jpg.0d1d32c4c3880b2b540bfd4a194cb9b0.jpg

Next the objectives are pretty dirty on the inside and so excellent working condition is called into account

20210524_084029.thumb.jpg.d6d7819eab73c2f0c4350c5f17d90be9.jpg

Finally, there are massive amounts of slop/free play in the focuser. Now I am not familiar with this and wondered is this normal or a sign of potential damage. Video below:

I have paid via paypal so can go back to him without problem of return but I thought I would gain opinion on here before I take that step.

They are not an SGL member but bought from a 2nd hand astronomy page on facebook for £600.00.

• Sad 1

On the focuser the thumbscrew you loosened is the tensioner screw, this is meant to be nipped up tight as it presses the focus wheel shaft against the drawtube and you use it to adjust the amount of tension to suit the weight of your diagonal/EPs.  The slop you're referring to is completely normal for a crayford if you remove all tension.

I believe you can set the minimum tension (so if the thumbscrew is backed off the drawtube isn't completely loose) using two small grub screws beneath the thumbscrew, but you'd have to download and check the manual as I'm not too sure on that.

18 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

On the focuser the thumbscrew you loosened is the tensioner screw, this is meant to be nipped up tight as it presses the focus wheel shaft against the drawtube and you use it to adjust the amount of tension to suit the weight of your diagonal/EPs.  The slop you're referring to is completely normal for a crayford if you remove all tension.

I believe you can set the minimum tension (so if the thumbscrew is backed off the drawtube isn't completely loose) using two small grub screws beneath the thumbscrew, but you'd have to download and check the manual as I'm not too sure on that.

Yes I noticed those but wasn't sure of their use, so at least it isn't damaged but needs a little TLC.

However still doesn't get me over the dirty objectives and if these can be cleaned.  If these are dirty, what will the rest of the OTA be like internally.  

I doubt that the dirty objective will affect views at all but I think that the damaged case would suggest that a partial refund is due. Have you tried out the scope during the day to confirm that it works ok?

• Like 1

The lid's a bit naughty of the seller, but it might have been made worse in transit. I'd just run a little Gorilla glue in the gap and leave a small weight on top until it dries. You shouldn't have to do it, but it's less hassle than sending it back.

• Like 1

Was there a picture of the lid?

Assuming the focuser is working fine (based on previous comments) then I'd guess the question comes down to how dirty the lens is. That's not super easy to tell from a photograph and it's pretty subjective - it'd be easy enough to argue that it is working fine, as I don't think anyone expects the dust to matter?

Mainly posting as I'm curious to know about the PayPal situation - I'm guessing they won't accept the listing as official in the same way as they would an eBay auction - but It sounds like it's a slam dunk that they'll allow you to send it back?

Hmm... What has gone on?

The big one (to me) is the objective. Difficult to be certain from a photo, rather than eyeball view but...
It looks like the there is a bright ring inside, where paint has been lost.
This suggests to me the lens cell has been dismantled. Was this by someone who knows how to put it together properly?
I don't know if the larger lens artefacts are dust off focus, reflections, or the start of mould.

As for the case - unless there are bits of metal in the shipping container, this is major pre-existing damage that was not declared. That rings alarm bells with me.

If it was me, I would look very carefully at the lens. If in doubt, ask for a refund
The case is negotiation on price. Oh yes - avoid this seller in future.
I think the focusser is just adjustment - unless you find evidence of fingers in there.

Hope things work out for you.

David.

5 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

Was there a picture of the lid?

Assuming the focuser is working fine (based on previous comments) then I'd guess the question comes down to how dirty the lens is. That's not super easy to tell from a photograph and it's pretty subjective - it'd be easy enough to argue that it is working fine, as I don't think anyone expects the dust to matter?

Mainly posting as I'm curious to know about the PayPal situation - I'm guessing they won't accept the listing as official in the same way as they would an eBay auction - but It sounds like it's a slam dunk that they'll allow you to send it back?

Doesn't matter where you purchase from as long as it has a proper profile. This is a dedicated 2nd hand astronomy facebook group. 

The top picture shows you the corner of the lid, smashed not loose!

I have got someone to look at it for me who knows their stuff so will wait before contacting the vendor. 

I hope I can keep it to be honest, makes life easier.

2 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Hmm... What has gone on?

The big one (to me) is the objective. Difficult to be certain from a photo, rather than eyeball view but...
It looks like the there is a bright ring inside, where paint has been lost.
This suggests to me the lens cell has been dismantled. Was this by someone who knows how to put it together properly?
I don't know if the larger lens artefacts are dust off focus, reflections, or the start of mould.

As for the case - unless there are bits of metal in the shipping container, this is major pre-existing damage that was not declared. That rings alarm bells with me.

If it was me, I would look very carefully at the lens. If in doubt, ask for a refund
The case is negotiation on price. Oh yes - avoid this seller in future.
I think the focusser is just adjustment - unless you find evidence of fingers in there.

Hope things work out for you.

David.

Good point, well made Dave.

I did notice the ring, just had a 2nd look and still not sure what to make of it.

The artefacts look like dust/fluff on the inside.

I will wait until I get a face to face 2nd opinion before I make a call on this.

If you can fix up the case, I reckon the other stuff is sortable but the seller should have been much more open when they described the condition of the scope. With the focuser adjusted (I use one and adjustment is quite easy) and the objective cleaned, the condition could be described as excellent I suppose but more openess would have helped a prospective buyer make a better informed choice. I have bought used scopes in somewhat worse order than the one you have bought but I knew alls the issues before deciding to go ahead. The price reflected them as well.

Hope you get it sorted soon, one way or another Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Doesn't matter where you purchase from as long as it has a proper profile. This is a dedicated 2nd hand astronomy facebook group. 

The top picture shows you the corner of the lid, smashed not loose!

I have got someone to look at it for me who knows their stuff so will wait before contacting the vendor. 

I hope I can keep it to be honest, makes life easier.

Sorry, I meant wasn't there a picture of the damaged lid on the original listing? I guess not?

Is your PayPal statement made based on experience? I'm not sure how PayPal are supposed to know what is expected on a private sale when it's a matter of disagreeing about condition?

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to work out how best to keep protected when buying/selling stuff (and its obvious that the answer changes depending if you're the buyer or the seller) - this stuff was a minefield when I was selling on eBay many years ago!

As always it's probably best just to ask the seller if you can send it back. Other than arguing about who covers postage, most people are honest!

On the focuser, the thumb screw is used for locking the focuser position, the two small grub screws either side of that are to increase/decrease the grip on the drawtube.  There was a word document from Moonlite showing this, will see if I can find my copy or a link.

Link for the Word document:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwic4vDTruLwAhXq0eAKHQ2dAnQQFjABegQIBxAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.focuser.com%2Fmedia%2FDownloads%2FService%2FMoonLite%20focuser%20adjustments.docx&usg=AOvVaw3vIjp74pohXxo8N68j5GUY

Edited by StevieDvd
Added link
  • Like 3

I have been up to the local obvs at Todmorden today and @Peter Drew & I gave the OTA a good look over and I am pleased to say it is in good order.  Optics are spot on, tube itself is very clean & free of blemishes etc and focuser is fine too.

I contacted the seller regarding the bashed case and he assured me it left him without the broken corner bracket and just a loose lid, pfft 🙄.

By the way he was referring to things I gather he was very inexperienced in astronomy matters.  Anyway I have to write off any chance of a partial damage related refund and just do my best to fix it.

Steve

• Like 3

Peter drew is a pure gent he sorted my Meade 5" out someone had taken the objective out and put the glass in the wrong way Peter knew straight away once he looked through it at his artificial star. 

Changed the glass around looked through it again spot on and I've had amazing views since. 

So glad the Scope is fine that is the main thing. 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 21:31, Steve Clay said:

Was it insured for transit. If so make a claim for the case?

good point steve, I shall enquire but whether hermes will pay out is another thing

• 2 weeks later...

Box sorted, strong as new now.

Bit of gorilla glue and some expoxy resin seems to have done the job. Although don't that gorilla stuff expand and get everywhere 😳

Took some tidying up but still shows!

20210605_103522.thumb.jpg.d8441a25399e7b41a2836fef614df997.jpg20210605_103516.thumb.jpg.3da7df93adcd467d58395a232e667438.jpg

On 26/05/2021 at 21:02, bomberbaz said:

I have been up to the local obvs at Todmorden today and @Peter Drew & I gave the OTA a good look over and I am pleased to say it is in good order.  Optics are spot on, tube itself is very clean & free of blemishes etc and focuser is fine too.

I contacted the seller regarding the bashed case and he assured me it left him without the broken corner bracket and just a loose lid, pfft 🙄.

By the way he was referring to things I gather he was very inexperienced in astronomy matters.  Anyway I have to write off any chance of a partial damage related refund and just do my best to fix it.

Steve

I have to say that if you have had it validated at Todmorden, then your purchase is good.

The issue with the case, go to the carrier first, then I’d be tempted to got for a refund around the tenner mark as it is fairly insignificant. OK, may be try £20 :)