NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from the Cotswolds

CotswoldsBloke

Hi all,

Like many, I started looking up when searching for things to do at the star of lockdown. I spent most of the summer getting very frustrated at my lack of ability and end results. The equipment went unused over winter. 

I’ve decided to try again and build on last year’s experience. Browsing this site tells me I’m not alone in my experiences thus far!

All the best. 
Nick

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sabalias said:

Hi Nick,

Welcome. I hope you find what you need here. As a matter of interest, what are you trying to achieve?

Stu

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the welcome.

Astrophotography is my main area of interest, with DSO's like Galaxies and Nebulae being the focus. Like most of us in the UK, the weather hasn't helped and in my specific case it has really hampered the build up of experience and  momentum to help me progress. That coupled with a lack of patience......

Hoping for some clear skies to experiment with soon.

All the best

Nick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CotswoldsBloke said:

Astrophotography is my main area of interest, with DSO's like Galaxies and Nebulae being the focus. Like most of us in the UK, the weather hasn't helped and in my specific case it has really hampered the build up of experience and  momentum to help me progress. That coupled with a lack of patience.....

I’m dabbling in AP and have found that there is a lot of useful information on these forums and some very helpful videos on YouTube. I also read Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards - highly recommended. I should also mention Astro Baby’s site which has some really useful tutorials (I found the collimation one invaluable).

Stu

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sabalias said:

I’m dabbling in AP and have found that there is a lot of useful information on these forums and some very helpful videos on YouTube. I also read Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards - highly recommended. I should also mention Astro Baby’s site which has some really useful tutorials (I found the collimation one invaluable).

Stu

Thanks, Stu. 

I will try  try to track that book down and I’ll take a look at Astro Baby’s site, too. 

Cheers

Nick

Hi

Welcome to SGL, take it all slowly, I went a thousand miles an hour first then learnt my preferred setup and process of what to image now so happy with it. Any advice needed the answers will be here. Plus 1 for masking every photon count, its great. 

Clear skies 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Nick, the problem with looking up at the moment round here is that anyone doing if for more than a few seconds could feature in a bizarre , nowhere-near-the sea-or-lake drowning incident :evil4:! (I offer this idea free of charge to any scriptwriters for Midsummer Murders etc " Aha! look sergeant, beside the victim , telltale signs of three tripod feet having stood in the mud ...  that strange hood may not be the regalia of some doubtful religion after all  ... " ) 

Heather

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1