Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting with binoculars?

Hello all,

I've recently found myself wanting to take up stargazing and learn more about astronomy in general.

I've read a few 'beginners guides' online and there are quite a few that suggest using binoculars or just the naked eye first, to learn where everything is and what not. I quite like this idea as I'd prefer to do things properly and it will also save me from wasting a fortune on a telescope if this turns out to be a fad.

So, firstly I'd be interested on people's thoughts and whether this is the best approach? And, if so, any recommendations on binoculars?

I am also totally clueless (I don't even know what order the planets are in) so if anyone could suggest any books to get started? I've searched the threads on here but am hoping for something that isn't too telescope-based, if possible? 

Finally, I'm not really sure what the difference between a planisphere and a night sky map is? Do I need both? (I prefer to rely on mobile apps/computer screen as little as possible)

Many thanks

• Like 4

Yes, I recommend binoculars also.

Infact, even though I have a bunch of different scopes, I use my binoculars the most :)

Affordable quality, wide field of view, and portability, what's not to like :)

A good pair for astronomy includes 7x50 or 10x50. 

you will be amazed at the amount of stars that just pop out of the sky 🤩

Yes, binoculars are a great idea to start with - and they are 'keepers' too, because they stay useful. 

Look out for the binocular sky website as there are many reviews of binoculars there, as well as ideas of what to look out for - plus a monthly newsletter you can sign up for. 

A good book of targets to start with - covering naked eye, binoculars and small telescopes is "Turn Left at Orion" - you can see a preview of the book on Google Books under the link. 

A planisphere is a circular device where you can match up the time of day and the date and it will show you the relative position of the stars in the sky. As you know, they vary hour by hour across the night and month by month across the year - and (in my view) nothing shows you how this works as simply & elegantly as a well made planisphere. Take one out at night - set it up to match time and day, hold it over your head with the pivot to the North and it'll show you how the constellations are positioned.

Whereas a night sky map is just something to leave on a table or maybe bluetack to the wall. :) 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Thanks 1

10x50 binoculars are recommended. Even if you decide to try telescopes, most astronomers will also own binoculars so it's not a waste of money to try them. Also depreciation value is good should you wish to sell. A good new pair can be bought for less than £100.

10x50s for astronomy are best used reclining in a chair to minimise shakes, and/or with a simple monopod and bracket/trigger grip/ball head attachment. During day time use the shakes aren't noticed.

Turn Left at Orion is a great general starter book.

http://binocularsky.com/ is a good binocular resource. Steve Tonkin's binocular astronomy books are recommended.

Look in the binocular section of the forum for loads of tips.

• Like 2

Binoculars are a great way to to learn your way around the night sky. A planisphere is a valuable tool too, as it will show you what constellations are visible above you at any given time, but a good star atlas is worth its weight in gold too. Like you I prefer not to use computers or apps, and over the past 40 years of observing I haven't yet had any need for either. Many deep sky objects are in the grasp of the average pair of binoculars, and if you can mount them on a reasonably solid tripod, you'll have a great time hunting them down. Even the Moon, Venus, Saturn, and Jupiter with its four Galilean moons are also worthy targets through binoculars, as are many brighter comets. The richest field binoculars are 9X60's, so if you can find a pair you'll have a wonderful tool that will last you for a lifetime. I was very lucky when I first started out in astronomy, in that I met an astronomer who used a large pair of Swift 16X70 binoculars as his only instrument. He showed me virtually every Messier object that rose above our horizon, and I rapidly became familiar with the night sky. It was a truly enjoyable experience and the best thing that could have happened. We're still good friends 40 years later. Everything he showed me I also found in my own 12X60's. It was a great way to learn what's hidden in the night sky.

Edited by mikeDnight

I bought a pair of bins 18 months ago, and then a basic scope 6 months ago.

It’s much easier for a beginner to start with binoculars (I suggest 10 x 50). They are a pleasure to use and you soon learn the stars. Telescopes are harder. In my case this is because I have a very poor quality scope, which I hope to replace when supplies get back to normal.

I wouldn’t at all recommend Turn left at Orion for a beginner. It’s extremely difficult to find most of the stars  if you live in an area that has poor visibility - Bortle 8 where I live. I found it so frustrating that I’ve stopped using it. I’m not sure why people enthuse about it unless they’re experienced astronomers.

I’d buy a planisphere , they are about £12. If you’ve an iPad, download Sky Safari which is amazing value for £3.

Canon Image Stabiliser binoculars 10X32. Celestron Explorascope 114AZ Newtonian Reflector Telescope, Aperture 114mm, Focal Length 1000mm, Focal Ratio f/9, Star Pointer red dot finderscope. Original eyepieces replaced with 32mm and 9 mm skywatcher Plossls.

Edited by keora

55 minutes ago, JTDUK said:

Hello all,

I've recently found myself wanting to take up stargazing and learn more about astronomy in general.

I've read a few 'beginners guides' online and there are quite a few that suggest using binoculars or just the naked eye first, to learn where everything is and what not. I quite like this idea as I'd prefer to do things properly and it will also save me from wasting a fortune on a telescope if this turns out to be a fad.

So, firstly I'd be interested on people's thoughts and whether this is the best approach? And, if so, any recommendations on binoculars?

I am also totally clueless (I don't even know what order the planets are in) so if anyone could suggest any books to get started? I've searched the threads on here but am hoping for something that isn't too telescope-based, if possible? 

Finally, I'm not really sure what the difference between a planisphere and a night sky map is? Do I need both? (I prefer to rely on mobile apps/computer screen as little as possible)

Many thanks

Welcome !

Binoculars will show you more than the naked eye does , and are a good starting point ,especially as you can get a reasonable pair for far less cost than a decent starter telescope.  I second the binocular sky site as an excellent source of information, especially for choosing binoculars to buy, there  is a dizzying range of the things on offer, best let an expert narrow the choice down for you ! I followed the suggestions on there, and bought the Opticron 10x50 WPs for around £80. I need them on a monopod to keep them steady, but the binocular sky site has some ingenious ideas for easy ways to improvise supports for free from household items .

A planisphere is essentially a small sky map (showing just the brightest stars, not the planets, they move differently ) which you can rotate behind an overlay . The overlay has the date and time marked on , along with north. You turn the map to match the current date and time, find north, hold the planisphere over your head (with its north arrow pointing north ) and the real sky view should match the visible part of the map . It's easier to use than explain, honest . If you want to try the idea out without spending any money, there are very simple printable ones online , here's one

https://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/do_science_now/science_apps_and_activities/star_wheels

There are different versions depending on how far north or south you are looking from.

Oh, and the planets in order, from the Sun :

My             Very       Easy      Method    Just           Speeds    Up          Naming      Planets

Mercury      Venus   Earth     Mars         Jupiter      Saturn      Uranus   Neptune    Pluto    (not really a planet now, but it was when I learned the mnemonic !)

For a book with background information (not to do with observing, but what is up there and how it all works) I'd suggest if you can do it, a visit to a library or bookshop (second hand ones often have some good titles, but be aware that anything more than a few years old might have info which has been superseded, astronomy is a fast moving science ) ,, and do not be embarrassed to check out the children's section, there are some really good Dorling Kindersley and Usborne titles which would give you an easy overview to start off with. One book a friend said they enjoyed recently was 'The Astronomy Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained' from Dorling K , which takes the historical approach , leading you through progressive discoveries by Kepler etc

Authors who I think are good at explaining to beginner adults I'd say Ian Ridpath, Heather Couper (no relation) and Nigel Henbest, but I've not really read any of their books recently, so cannot be specific about titles.

Heather

• Like 1

Fantastic, thanks for all the input guys.

I see 10x50s are recommended. So does this mean I should avoid the really high magnification ones? As a newbie, I figured planets are far away so I need the most magnification possible...

14 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Oh, and the planets in order, from the Sun :

My             Very       Easy      Method    Just           Speeds    Up          Naming      Planets

Mercury      Venus   Earth     Mars         Jupiter      Saturn      Uranus   Neptune    Pluto    (not really a planet now, but it was when I learned the mnemonic !)

For a book with background information (not to do with observing, but what is up there and how it all works) I'd suggest if you can do it, a visit to a library or bookshop (second hand ones often have some good titles, but be aware that anything more than a few years old might have info which has been superseded, astronomy is a fast moving science ) ,, and do not be embarrassed to check out the children's section, there are some really good Dorling Kindersley and Usborne titles which would give you an easy overview to start off with. One book a friend said they enjoyed recently was 'The Astronomy Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained' from Dorling K , which takes the historical approach , leading you through progressive discoveries by Kepler etc

Authors who I think are good at explaining to beginner adults I'd say Ian Ridpath, Heather Couper (no relation) and Nigel Henbest, but I've not really read any of their books recently, so cannot be specific about titles.

Heather

Fantastic, thanks for this.

I hear  you on the children's books idea. This wouldn't be the first time that the 'For Dummies' range has been a bridge too far for me. I have ordered the DK planets book. Looks like it has plenty of pictures...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTDUK said:

I see 10x50s are recommended. So does this mean I should avoid the really high magnification ones? As a newbie, I figured planets are far away so I need the most magnification possible...

Yes, the higher magnification magnifies the view, but (and there is always a but ...) it also magnifies the wobble as you try to hold the binos still.  I'm a bit feeble and need to support my 10x50s on a monopod , but can hold my smaller lighter (and older) 8x30s steady for several minutes.

As far as I know ( and I am no expert) binoculars do not magnify enough to show you planets as much more than tiny coloured dots , you certainly won't  see any detail.  For that you need a telescope, on a steady mount, and much higher magnification (and expense !) This excellent post shows you what sort of views to realistically expect in a good telescope , it is quite sobering ! Binoculars will not be as good as that for planets...

Binoculars are really good for wide field viewing , star clusters and similar, and ideal for learning your way around the sky. They will show you a lot, I'd suggest sticking with some 10x50s to start with, and getting the hang of locating objects and learning what they are. Apart from Mars , the interesting -in -a -telescope planets are Jupiter and Saturn , neither of which are well placed for viewing at the moment . They will be visible in the summer sky though, which gives you a few months to see if you enjoy using binos, and you can defer until then any thought of buying a telescope !

By the way ... you may know , but it came to a shock to my next door neighbour and her adult son ... Mars, Venus,  Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury can all be seen (when favourably placed) without even binoculars, just your eyes 🙂

Heather

• Like 2

21 hours ago, keora said:

I’m not sure why people enthuse about it unless they’re experienced astronomers.

I actually agree with you on this point ... whilst it’s a great book I found it a bit daunting at first . But , in its defence it caters for beginners too . And , it’s always on the shelf if you wish to use it as a reference . I wouldn’t be without it . 

There's already plenty of great advice and I'll reiterate a pair of 10x50 binoculars too,  plus one of the yearly monthly guides from Phillips or Collins. A planisphere does really help initially to work out what constellations are on show presently and without question download SkySafari for your phone. The free basic version is fine to start with as you can point it at the sky and work out what is what. I certainly did that for a year before buying a scope, it's invaluable and will set you in good stead. I also agree about the most often promoted book (turn left at Orion) I find it a bit too heavy to start with from nothing, buy a copy if you decide on a scope later. There's plenty of info around here, just keep reading around SGL, another invaluable resource and take your time.

Edited by Stardaze

7 hours ago, JTDUK said:

High magnification requires some sort of solid (= heavy!) mounting which defeats the main purpose of binoculars which is to give wide views and to be easy to use.

I would say a magnification of 10 times is about the maximum an average person can hand hold and still have a steady view.

You can still see the planets in 10x50 binoculars but you won't be able to resolve any detail. But you will be able to see the four main moons of Jupiter and the moon Titan of Saturn, which I found quite exciting. 

• Like 1

+1 to what everyone else has said, really.

I'm using Opticron 10x50s with the Amazon Basics tripod and head recommended on the Binocular Sky website, and I've also borrowed a monopod to use with a zero gravity chair.

I use a planisphere to get an idea of what's available to see at the time I'll be observing, then use Stellarium outside to help locate - I'm starting to learn the sky and be able to star hop a bit more.

I'm reading The Art of Urban Astronomy at the moment - it's a bit more of a simplified format for locating stuff than Turn Left at Orion.

You should be able to see some pretty cool stuff with a similar setup. Even from my light-polluted garden I managed to find Andromeda. It was a grey smudge, admittedly, but just knowing that grey smudge was a whole other galaxy blew my mind 🤯

MiladyB x

42 minutes ago, wheresthetorch? said:

I found this book by SPM very helpful when I was starting out with binoculars.  While it's a bit dated now, the constellation and stars haven't moved (much). 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0521793904/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_QW06HMJBB3HVMR3T7MEJ

Ordered! I have to go with SPM!

So with the binoculars, is 50 the upper limit or is it worth trying to find other set-ups, say 10 x 70 or 12 x 60?

Also, I know summer isn't a good time for stargazing and I'm aware that a full moon makes it harder to see anything else, but the last couple of nights I could count the visible stars on my fingers and toes!  I don't live in a particularly built up area - my nearest town is Woking, which is hardly New York. I don't have a car at the moment so I'm wondering how typical this is? I was sure I could see a fair bit more when we first moved here a couple of months ago!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JTDUK said:

So with the binoculars, is 50 the upper limit or is it worth trying to find other set-ups, say 10 x 70 or 12 x 60?

Also, I know summer isn't a good time for stargazing and I'm aware that a full moon makes it harder to see anything else, but the last couple of nights I could count the visible stars on my fingers and toes!  I don't live in a particularly built up area - my nearest town is Woking, which is hardly New York. I don't have a car at the moment so I'm wondering how typical this is? I was sure I could see a fair bit more when we first moved here a couple of months ago!

I’d echo all that’s been said above - after a (very) long break from astronomy I spent a year of many happy evenings outside on a sun lounger or the kids trampoline with a reasonable pair of 10x50s. Amazing what you can see - I am down the road from you in Winchester so probably quite similar suburban light wise. 
2 things on that - do your best to shield from security/street lights etc (for me this is by cunning lounger placement and hoodie wearing) and even in the garden give your eyes plenty of time to dark adapt, makes a huge difference from half an hour and keeps on getting better. 

On Bino size it all depends on weight - if you’ve forearms like Popeye then maybe a 15x70 could be handheld for a reasonable period but lighter weight and lower magnification give longer, shake-free observing sessions where you’ll tease out far more than in a 15 minute wobble-fest with something more powerful. 

Summer is great - warmer and with the Milky Way high in the sky. If the moon’s too bright for dim things, look at the moon! As long as its clear there is plenty out there to mind-boggle! 

Above all, drag yourself off the sofa on a few nights where you might not immediately feel like it - it’s amazing out there :) 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1

Clear skies are just the first step for a good night of star gazing.  As you get more familiar with the subject you'll hear about (a) the varying degrees of darkness - in summer time there are lots of nights without astronomical twilight when it never gets truly dark (b) seeing and transparency - aspects of atmospheric conditions that affect viewing and can limit how many dim stars are visible (c) dark adaption where your eyes need to adjust gradually to darkness before you start to be able to see the really faint stuff.

My son has recently started joining me in the garden to do some star gazing and while we do use my telescope the key thing I'm introducing him to at the moment is  basic familiarity with constellations and guidepost stars.

I'd strongly recommend learning the major constellation through the year so you can recognise the progress of the seasons, watch the moon move each night and spot the planets as the wanderers they are among the fixed star patters

My son has already observed the shift from the beginning of winter in November with Orion rising in the East after sunset to March with Orion in the west going down as the night begins. 

My recommendation would be even before binoculars, learn to recognise the key shapes - the big dipper, Orion, Leo, cassiopeia, hercules and others - and the bright stars like sirius, arcturus, capella, spica. That knowledge will allow you to search with confidence for the harder to find targets and will give you a sense of familiarity so scanning the night sky doesn't feel like being lost in a forest. Adding binoculars or a telescope into the mix just makes it harder at that stage (unless you've splashed out on a computerised mount)

And of course the main thing - take plenty of time to just soak in the wonder of it! No matter how long we've been doing this hobby I think none of us is tired of just enjoying the simple wonder of looking up at a sack sky full of stars!

• Thanks 1

Binoculars will definitely help when you suffer from light pollution. SO many more stars will be visible to you. For example, the Beehive Cluster (M44) is invisible to me here in Edinburgh, as is the constellation Cancer where it is located. However, it's placed almost directly half-way between the 2 bright stars of Regulus (Leo) and Pollux (Gemini). Just point your bins in that direction and you'll soon find it.

Then when you get to go to a proper dark site, you can be amazed at being able to see naked-eye what you can normally only see through the binoculars! And then - just wait to see what the binocular view is like!

As for learning the bright stars, I played a little game with myself when out walking the dog at twilight. As the sky darkens, the first stars will start to appear. Over several clear nights, you can spot which ones appear first. The odd thing with the bright sly at this time of the evening is that it makes it very hard to spot stars - you have to be looking right at them before you notice them. It forces you to really notice their location. For springtime for example: Sirius, Arcturus, Capella, Procyon, Castor and Pollux, Regulus, etc. A quick check of SkySafari or similar to confirm their names, and bingo. And as the months go by, you learn the new stars and their constellations as they rise in the East. Suddenly the "summer triangle" of  Vega, Deneb and Altair are glaringly obvious to you as you stagger home from the pub!

Binoculars and a visit to a dark sky is with a good star chart (stellarium on your phone probably best) is a great way to start. One of the things I wish I had done as a kid was ask for some bins as well as a scope!

So much very good advice above and you should do as much as you can before looking at telescopes. It's very hard to find the right one!! But any Binos from 8x40 up will do the job well and can last a lifetime.

I would go with a Planisphere to learn how the sky moves and Turn Left at Orion as a comprehensive starters book that you will keep a long time. Apps are good for planning but beware spoiling dark adaption with any screen. If you get hooked The Pocket Sky Atlas by S&T is just right for use outside with a red torch and bins IMHO 😊

20 hours ago, JTDUK said:

50 isn't the upper limit for the size of the objectives in a pair of binoculars (mm). I think it means that above that size, binoculars are heavy and it becomes harder to keep the binoculars steady. Attaching a tripod or monopod makes it more stable, but then it may take more time to set it up.

Last June was my second year of star watching, and I realised  for the first time that it's harder to observe stars and planets around the longest day. The skies aren't fully dark after sunset because of the after glow of the sun. I still looked at stars, but not as frequently.

If you look at this table for sunset/rise in London in June, it shows that there's astronomical twilight right from sunset to rise. It doesn't get fully dark.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/london?month=5&year=2021

I'm sure that with all the advice available here, you'll enjoy looking at the stars.

Edited by keora

Thanks for all the responses on this guys. Planisphere is on its way and I think I managed to identify Polaris the other night, so it's all go.

However, I've been looking at binoculars and found these:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Aculon-A211-12-Binocular/dp/B00BC1BXPW/ref=sr_1_9?crid=R215IPE8AV2R&dchild=1&keywords=nikon+binoculars&qid=1620164741&sprefix=nikon+bino%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-9

It says they are available in 10 - 22 x 50....

So does that mean these are a good buy, as they offer differing zoom levels, or are they still likely to be too heavy?  I know I am missing something here... or someone would have suggested zoom binoculars already!

Cheers

Edited by JTDUK