Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from a complete newbie

chris348

Good afternoon one and all.  I have for always wanted to star gaze and finally having taken the plunge, bought myself my first telescope.  Alot of research ended up looking at the Celestron NexStar 8SE !

Not really sure what to expect but I would very much appreciate any guidance or lessons on what to look out for to enhance the experience.

Any advice ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Good buy btw!

To align your Nexstar, you have to know some bright stars, for the 2 star alignment.

Learn where these are. If you are serious about the hobby, then a decent planetarium, guide book is a great start. Get off the internet and start looking up. 

As an aside, your C8 is capable of doing ground-breaking spectroscopy in idintifying quasars -  http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1752&p=8310

A great telescope, a keeper!

On 11/04/2021 at 14:20, chris348 said:

Good afternoon one and all.  I have for always wanted to star gaze and finally having taken the plunge, bought myself my first telescope.  Alot of research ended up looking at the Celestron NexStar 8SE !

Not really sure what to expect but I would very much appreciate any guidance or lessons on what to look out for to enhance the experience.

Any advice ?

Chris

Welcome

The 8” SCT is good general purpose - well, I would say that as I bought one :) however I used mine on an equatorial mount.

+1 for turn left at Orion

• 1 month later...