Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gratuitous Pics of My Refractor

Beautiful John, a "proper scope"!👌😊.

If I may join the "gratuitousness".. I was painting the floor of my recently refurbished outside brick barn today, where my scopes live, so I had to move lots of stuff out, or up off the floor, while the floor paint dries: so I took a few pics of the FS128 while it had to stand outside, and a couple as dusk fell and the almost full moon rose..

Also, John, did you check out The Trap last night? I had an hour out and despite the brightness of the moon I was easily able to see the E&F stars with direct vision..the transparency here was very good and the seeing was good too, got a lovely clear split of Alnitak as well😊.

Dave

IMG_20210226_140623163.jpg

IMG_20210226_140752390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210226_181828017.jpg

IMG_20210226_181757900.jpg

IMG_20210225_131331521_HDR.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Have to agree, the seeing and transparency was pretty good, had the scope out last night and despite the bright Moon managed to have a good session with well resolved brighter nebula and clusters.

Scopes looking good.

Edited by oldfruit
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Beautiful John, a "proper scope"!👌😊.

If I may join the "gratuitousness".. I was painting the floor of my recently refurbished outside brick barn today, where my scopes live, so I had to move lots of stuff out, or up off the floor, while the floor paint dries: so I took a few pics of the FS128 while it had to stand outside, and a couple as dusk fell and the almost full moon rose..

Also, John, did you check out The Trap last night? I had an hour out and despite the brightness of the moon I was easily able to see the E&F stars with direct vision..the transparency here was very good and the seeing was good too, got a lovely clear split of Alnitak as well😊.

Dave

IMG_20210226_140623163.jpg

IMG_20210226_140752390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210226_181828017.jpg

IMG_20210226_181757900.jpg

IMG_20210225_131331521_HDR.jpg

Yours looks lovely as well Dave 😀

I did check out E & F Trap and Alnitak last night and quite a few others too plus some lovely lunar views. The seeing was pretty good.

Having a night in tonight. More clear skies forecast over the next few days though.

• Like 1

Cheers, John..

I've just come in from an hour out tonight..the transparency was pretty good but the seeing wasn't so steady this evening. I did get a nice view of Mars for the first time for ages could definitely see dark markings but too small to make out solid details.

I also noticed a few aircraft con trails..there are definitely more planes in the sky than there were a few months ago.

The RAF have also been doing night flying which doesn't help, although thankfully they only do it one week in every 4 or 5..

Enjoy your night off John, I'll probably be staying in tomorrow night😊.

Dave

• Like 1

I've been blessed - 152 LZOS and a TSA 120mm. To be honest, and I say this cautiously because a lot of folk love SCTs, I barely use the Edge. I am hoping to replace it (with another refractor). A Tak 128mm is on my wish list but they are very difficult to get hold of. The one in the posts above mine is a beauty. 

Edited by SimonIRE
  • Like 2

My contribution, again in the 4" class. Tonight I'll be using this Skylight 100mm F13 (based on a Carton lens), mounted on an AZ-EQ 6GT in eq mode. Beautiful to use, and really punches through poor seeing. Great for doubles.

DSC_0787.JPG

DSC_0790.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Mine are waiting for darkness. Just hope I can get everything working tonight and not have to waste hours on things going wrong or refusing to do what they're supposed to.

DSC_0725.JPG

Thankfully everything's working as it should so far.

3 hours ago, John said:

Lovely Stu !

"OK-4 fest" does not sound as enticing as a "Fluorite Fest" :grin:

Tee hee. It’s what you see through that counts though. Technically I have three fluorite scopes as the Genesis has a fluorite element. Trouble is it’s in the rear petzval doublet, leaving an achro up front so it does have some CA.

• Like 1

I'll probably pop the Tak 100 out at some point. It doesn't need much cooling time though :smiley:

It will be a while until the Moon gets above the conifers here so there is no particular hurry.

• Like 2

Yes gratuitous, as per the heading🤣 frankly rubbing it in! Still clouded out here, but nice to know someone is getting some scope time.

In all seriousness I am sooo happy for you, we have not had a great time of it, so why not show us how it is done. Would be nice to have a raft of observing reports to read and then try to compare.

Good luck to you all and clear skies.

Marvin