NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion's Belt and Sword with the 50D

Had a nice gap in the clouds Sunday night with good transparency but the intrusion of the quarter Moon to fight with. I decided to set up the Astrotrac as snow was forcast. I managed to grab nearly an hour of Orions's Belt and Sword area. The image was taken with my Canon 50D and Tamron Di II 70-200mm lens at ISO800 F4.5, 11x 5 mins. Stacked in DSS, darks and bias frames applied. False flat in Pix insight and finished with PSCS3.

12196_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards

Kevin

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a great image, can i use for desktop?

Feel free Dave and thanks for the compliment.

Sorry to be a bit noob-like but... This was taken with just the camera and not through a telescope??

(again sorry for the noob question....)

Yes this was taken with a 70-200mm camera zoom lens set to 152mm. :(

Regards

Kevin

Superb. Whats darks and bias? I'm a newbie.

Thanks Jimmya,

Dark frames are exposure taken with the lens cap covered with the same exposure length and ISO setting as the normal images. They should be taken when the camera is at the same temperature as when the normal images were taken. The dark frames can then be averaged and subtracted from the normal images.

Bias frames are taken with the lens cap in place and the exposure time set to the minimum.

These calibration frames can then be used with programs like Deep Sky Stacker to reduce the noise in an image.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

There is a more detailed explanation within the tutorials of this program.

Regards

Kevin

Archived