NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another aurora display 1am. Lapland aurora webcam.

Nigella Bryant

2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Absolutely beautiful!

Can you imagine what early man thought when he looked up into the night sky and saw that!!??

Didn't some believe it was the spirits of the dead going up to heaven ?

Nice to think my spirit might - just not quite now though 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Didn't some believe it was the spirits of the dead going up to heaven ?

Nice to think my spirit might - just not quite now though 🙂 

Steve

I do think sometimes how nice it would be if what makes you you could just travel through the universe. Your essence or spirit just traveling where you will.

Might find out it's more crowded than you imagined!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I do think sometimes how nice it would be if what makes you you could just travel through the universe. Your essence or spirit just traveling where you will.

Might find out it's more crowded than you imagined!

Way the covid situation is here in UK and the strict lockdown at moment it is only my spirit that travels anywhere 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

Don't go... You will be drawn in and hooked!!! The best 'holiday activity I've ever done.

I've been to Northern Norway for the aurora four times; successful each time... and now I'm an addict and can't wait to go again... Perhaps I should joing AA (Aurora anonymous). The 'live' video links are entrancing.

p.s. the cold there does make current UK feel tropical.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, City9Town0 said:

Don't go... You will be drawn in and hooked!!! The best 'holiday activity I've ever done.

I've been to Northern Norway for the aurora four times; successful each time... and now I'm an addict and can't wait to go again... Perhaps I should joing AA (Aurora anonymous). The 'live' video links are entrancing.

p.s. the cold there does make current UK feel tropical.

My preference is Iceland - I've been eight times (and successful every time as well). Although less favourable viewing conditions (lower altitude and cloudy weather compared to Tromso), there is much more to do as a holiday, especially if you like the outdoors! The 'not so' secret is to go for as long as possible/you can afford. While you can get relatively cheap long weekend trips to Iceland, it doesn't really give you much of a chance should you arrive in the middle of storm.

• Thanks 1

Shimrod... Wow, Eight times... I'm deeply envious. We've looked into going to Iceland and maybe one day we'll go but seemingly like you we are drawn to one place. Perhaps I'm unambitious but I've always found plenty to do in and around Tromso (although out of town the driving conditions can certainly be 'sporty' as I'm sure they are in Iceland). I absolutely agree about spending time; we've always aimed for five (or more) nights. Repeat visits is a good way to get value from the cost of winter clothing! It is truly addictive. I've also learned to use my eyes more than the camera.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 19:00, City9Town0 said:

Shimrod... Wow, Eight times... I'm deeply envious. We've looked into going to Iceland and maybe one day we'll go but seemingly like you we are drawn to one place. Perhaps I'm unambitious but I've always found plenty to do in and around Tromso (although out of town the driving conditions can certainly be 'sporty' as I'm sure they are in Iceland). I absolutely agree about spending time; we've always aimed for five (or more) nights. Repeat visits is a good way to get value from the cost of winter clothing! It is truly addictive. I've also learned to use my eyes more than the camera.

So Iceland...waterfalls, volcanoes, geysirs, more waterfalls, landscape like the moon, hot thermal pools and whales! There's plenty to see and do, and unless you are staying in or very close to Reykjavik, it is very easy to find yourself in Bortle 1 skies, even if the aurora haven't come out to play!

• Like 1

The auroras in Lapland is still one of my memories when I was a 10 year old (42 now). Magnificent display of colours. It is a shame back then digital cameras were not so accessible. Last time I saw impressive auroras was on a flight back from iceland as the plane was taking off in the night skies. I also miss Scotland for that exact reason seeing the glow of auroras as far south as St Andrews. Thanks @Nigella Bryant for bringing back memories!

• Thanks 1