NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ali Express

I bought an 1.25" refractor focuser for my 60mm Tasco on Ali Express before. It took about a month to arrive from China.

I believe most of the sellers are genuine (based on user feedbacks). But be prepared to wait quite some time for your item to arrive especially with the current disruption to transport caused by the pandemic. Also I'd imagine it would be quite a hassle if you're unhappy with the item and want to return it for refund.

Edited by KP82

I have bought a few things from them without any problems, you just have to wait for 2/3 weeks in my experience.

4 minutes ago, Sluke321 said:

I’ve been searching on google for some eyepieces and some of them are coming up for really great prices on Ali Express. Seems a bit suspect to me. 

Anyone have any experience using them? 

Thanks all 

I have bought quite a lot of stuff from them. Including few ES eyepieces and some miscellaneous stuff. I had a good luck for the most part. One ES eyepiece had a spec on field lens that didn't seem to impact performance and I got a 30% partial refund. Another eyepiece had optical defect and I returned it for a full refund, AliExpress paid the shipping. 

So there is a risk of getting a QC reject for ES stuff, but on some items the price difference makes up for the risk (some eyepieces I got for less than half of what I would have cost me from EU/US stores). I would first look for sellers that offer free return, not all of them do, then if item is not good you just return it and all you have lost is time.

1 hour ago, pregulla said:

I have bought quite a lot of stuff from them. Including few ES eyepieces and some miscellaneous stuff. I had a good luck for the most part. One ES eyepiece had a spec on field lens that didn't seem to impact performance and I got a 30% partial refund. Another eyepiece had optical defect and I returned it for a full refund, AliExpress paid the shipping. 

So there is a risk of getting a QC reject for ES stuff, but on some items the price difference makes up for the risk (some eyepieces I got for less than half of what I would have cost me from EU/US stores). I would first look for sellers that offer free return, not all of them do, then if item is not good you just return it and all you have lost is time.

Are you sure they were genuine items? 

I've bought from svbony via aliexpress and had no problems filters mount accessories finderscope,  also many electrical components again without problems. I have bought from their storefront on aliexpress but can be sought from other vendors as well. Just the wait  usually 2-3 weeks but now i don't know the leadtime 

3 hours ago, Sluke321 said:

I used them all the time - hundreds of purchases. It must be said, mainly for low-cost electronics items, Arduinos, etc. that can be up to one-tenth of the price: $2 instead of $20 😲 and seem to be just as good as European-sourced stuff (which is almost certainly where they buy from). There are occasional issues, such as receiving a short quantity or getting something that is a long way from what the description said it would be. However, for those few times I have rarely had a problem getting my money returned.

I've bought a few astronomical parts there, too. From Svbony, some of the old "analog" LN300 long-exposure cameras (probably my largest single purchase: €70) and telescope / camera adapters that would take a lot of tracking down otherwise.

+1 for no issues. Haven't bought a lot of telescope other than some svbony bits and bobs, but I've bought the odd electronic item or bike accessories and they've generally been fine. 

On the flip side, I'm sure some things are too good to be true!

9 hours ago, Sluke321 said:

I’ve been searching on google for some eyepieces and some of them are coming up for really great prices on Ali Express. Seems a bit suspect to me. 

Thanks all 

Used them loads of times, for smaller and more expensive items, I got my polemaster from there brand new with adapter for £160, I have had M42 and M48 spacers, all sorts of adapters, and always been very good....

But you need to make sure you use a dealer that takes PayPal, so you are covered, as not all of them do....it’s basically a Chinese Amazon.... 👍🏼

as others, I've bought quite a few bits from there, CCTV, electronics, camera parts and scope stuff. No issues with anything and in the past 2+ weeks to arrive. Nowadays it could be a lottery in terms of delays/lead time and don't forget Chinese New Year will be coming up too.

You've not said which eyepieces you're considering so hard to advise on those. I bought SVbony zoom eyepieces a couple months back and they were very good, well made, as was their dielectric diagonal.

I've never bought anything from ali… yet.  I do visit the site and there are some apparent bargains.  I have bought stuff from DH Gate,  as well as Wish (both similar set ups as Ali), and items bought all have  been good enough and as described. I usually just buy low cost items that are sold for a lot more in the UK and Europe,  but wiil definitely have been made in the far east. 

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 1

I have purchased a few items both astro & non-astro via Ali Express, apart from the wait. It has some good bargains for astro-hardware.

This afternoon I ordered 4Gb laptop RAM* for my Panasonic ToughBook CF19. Sellers on other online sites are asking up to ten times the price I saw.

* either made by or made for Samsung.

• Like 1

Having said I've used and been happy with Ali so far, I've been trying to get replacement zoom grips for a lens and this far I've had 2 suppliers indicate goods shipped and a week later order cancelled, latest one just now in fact. Not sure if this is because there's a shipping issue in the current global crisis, tho I have received other goods from China. The upside is that on initiating a cancellation as requested by the seller, Ali are very quick to resolve it and refund your payment so I've no hesitation in continuing to buy from them. 

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

Having said I've used and been happy with Ali so far, I've been trying to get replacement zoom grips for a lens and this far I've had 2 suppliers indicate goods shipped and a week later order cancelled, latest one just now in fact. Not sure if this is because there's a shipping issue in the current global crisis, tho I have received other goods from China. The upside is that on initiating a cancellation as requested by the seller, Ali are very quick to resolve it and refund your payment so I've no hesitation in continuing to buy from them. 

Yes, the Chinese sites such as Ali are actually good at doing refunds;  quite promptly too. Over the last year,  I had one item never turned up and another item went to a wrong address (tracked it by royal mail and it had gone to the same address, different city!)  I got no quibble refunds for both.  Everything else has been great,  apart from the long delivery times,  which I'm usually prepared for. Currently waiting for a few items, one is a canon shutter remote for a quid! 

Edited by Jason B
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 20:08, Sluke321 said:

Are you sure they were genuine items? 

I was able to register them on ES site.  They also perform optically as you would expect from ES eyepieces - sharp almost to the edge and have perfect fit and finish. The astronomy market is too small to set up a line for fake ES eyepieces that would not be obviously fake. 

Bottom line -  I am sure these are genuine.

Just received two adapter and a set of M48 spacers from Ali, all excellent, both the adapters were for my Tak scope M52 x 0.75mm to M48 and M56 to M48, as the Tak versions are around. £55 each, I paid £8 each plus £3.50 delivery😮😮

Could not be happier....👍🏼

Bought loads of stuff on AliExpress. Most (but not all) sellers are genuine and helpfull. There are a few charlatans on there. SVbony and Tianyuanstar are very very good for astro stuff (8 days delivery). Be warned though that VAT is now added to all the prices since Jan 1 (added by Ali when you pay). Not sure if you can get that back if you get a refund.

David

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 21:08, Ags said:

Only bought a tripod from ali express. The delivery took longer because of issues clearing customs, but the goods were excellent quality.

Are there issues with customs and additional (hidden) charges due to customs duty etc.? If there are customs issues who deals with them - aliexpress or the buyer

Edited by AstroMuni

6 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Are there issues with customs and additional (hidden) charges due to customs duty etc.? If there are customs issues who deals with them - aliexpress or the buyer

Normally when you buy from abroad, there will be some form of customs charge and potentially VAT to pay. The carrier will collect the tax on behalf of the government as well as any other customs related charges. The link attached illustrates how one UK buyer of a coat from a German supplier got a nasty surprise...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

10 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I have had loads and loads of items from Aliexpress, and never once had any charges, and now the VAT is paid with the item, and had three items in the last two weeks and no extra charges...👍🏼