Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another cracking night in prospect

Saganite

Observing until 3 am this morning has left me a bit weary but the sky is even better tonight, cold, crisp and clear.  I am using the 12" Dob  and the Moon is superb and steady at 166X.  One of the targets will be Tegmine, which I just failed to split last night with the 4" Vixen ED.  

Good hunting for anyone else out tonight.....:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 8

ClearOutside is quite positive for tonight here, Meteoblue and Nightshift less so.
Based on Clearoutside's performance yesterday, I may give it a miss and go for tomorrow evening, which looks better.

btw, does anyone know how to display a previous day's data on Clearoutside? I use it to add details of pressure, wind etc. to my observing log next morning, but sometimes I refresh the page by mistake (yes, I do trust Clearoutside more when it has the benefit of hindsight).

It could be good here tonight but I'm not getting a scope out.

It's a hobby and I've learned that I enjoy it much more when I don't feel I have to do it whenever it's clear. Takes the pressure off :smiley:

Have fun if you are out though :thumbright:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Been earlier out with the new Bino's, had a decent look at Mars and Uranus, then the Moon. Very thick cloud here in Bedfordshire now, can not even tell where the Moon is behind them.

Well my earlier optimism was unfounded but I had 45 minutes or so of really good Lunar observing.  I am only 8 miles away Pete and I cannot see even a glimmer of Lunar light now, so a glass of wine and the fireside seems a good idea .....:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

ClearOutside is quite positive for tonight here, Meteoblue and Nightshift less so.
Based on Clearoutside's performance yesterday, I may give it a miss and go for tomorrow evening, which looks better.

Same for me.  We have a clear patch at the moment, but the Moon is showing up a lot of cloud to the south and west heading this way, so I don't expect it to last more than tens of minutes.  For tomorrow I currently have a clear forecast from around midday to mid-evening, which might give me the opportunity to pop the roof off the observatory and blow away a few of the cobwebs during the afternoon as well.  There is the possibility of snow in the small hours of Sunday morning though, so it could be a touch on the chilly side.

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

It could be good here tonight but I'm not getting a scope out.

It's a hobby and I've learned that I enjoy it much more when I don't feel I have to do it whenever it's clear. Takes the pressure off :smiley:

I'd like to apologize for the above fib :angel12:

I got tempted by all those shiny things gleaming in the sky :rolleyes2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Last night was beautifully clear. Found Uranus with Mars in the same binocular view before pizza and beer. Came time afterwards to take the scope out and I was just too tired to face it. Asleep before midnight (which is odd for me).

Tonight though - forecast looking good. M67, Iota Cancri and Tegmine are my planned targets. 🦀

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Last night was beautifully clear. Found Uranus with Mars in the same binocular view before pizza and beer. Came time afterwards to take the scope out and I was just too tired to face it. Asleep before midnight (which is odd for me).

Tonight though - forecast looking good. M67, Iota Cancri and Tegmen are my planned targets. 🦀

Good luck pixies, I'm hoping to get a few hours in this evening please, clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7

Managed to just get Mercury in the bins. So I've seen it now as a morning and evening sight.

I had the little Mak ready, but once I found it in the bins, rushed to get it positioned. Had to put the tripod on to a table to get a decent view but by the time I had it in my sights it was just disappearing over the houses opposite. Hopefully it'll be clear tomorrow afternoon and I'll be ready on my new 'platform'.

• Like 1

It's been a lovely clear sunny day here, though a few clouds had started to make an appearance as the Sun set.  It has also been quite cold.  -2.5C last night, not even reaching 4.5C during the day and it's back down below freezing already.  Not sure the cloud will actually hold off -- there's snow forecast for the small hours, but if it does hopefully the low temperatures mean the seeing stands a chance of being pretty good.

James

I have the 12 inch dob out but according to "Clear Outside" I've got until around 10:00 pm until clouds arrive.

Between now and then I can pretend to be an Apollo astronaut nearing the moon using my new 4.7mm Ethos eyepiece :grin:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, John said:

I'd like to apologize for the above fib :angel12:

I got tempted by all those shiny things gleaming in the sky :rolleyes2:

Tbh it did read as though you were writing to yourself: “Dear conscience please don’t make me feel guilty about staying inside “

• Haha 1

Pretty good here. Moon is looking lovely at x257 in 150 Mak with 7mm ortho. Mars is not bad either.

I have noticed the old 1.25" diagonal I'm using has a bit of 'haze' to it. I do have a replacement on order though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Pretty good here. Moon is looking lovely at x257 in 150 Mak with 7mm ortho. Mars is not bad either.

I have noticed the old 1.25" diagonal I'm using has a bit of 'haze' to it. I do have a replacement on order though.

Pretty good here also Michael, 209X on Lunar and steady enough.  Also just got the E & F stars in the Trap, bold and beautiful.

Just now, Saganite said:

Also just got the E & F stars in the Trap, bold and beautiful.

Not in my arc yet - they are behind the house. I have that to look forward too - but not tonight, the cold has gotten to me a bit.

Very crisp moon here. 454x with the 12 inch dob. Alpine Valley rille and 6/7 Plato craterlets, possibly more. Hadley Rille really well defined. Highlight at the moment are the Rimae Hippalus. Three concentric rilles and a faint 4th one, running for around 190 km:

external image normal_Rimae_Hippalus_LO-IV-132H_LTVT_annotated.JPG

• Like 3