Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI2600MC PRO is it worth it ?

Nikolas74

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Using mine with a Sharpstar 150HNT and discovered that a 2" filter fits neatly between the coma corrector and and camera connector.

ZWO do a limited range of filters designed for some of their cameras.

Dave

Did you get it working with Sgpro?

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Did you get it working with Sgpro?

Sort of, good enough to take new flats.

Spent a couple of hours today figuring out how to restore  the ASIAIR Pro firmware, the most useless website ever, in the instructions it says look at how to do it on their site, took ages to find it, why the hell don't they just put a hyper link in the instructions, then lots of ambiguous instructions when you do find it.
Still haven't done it but given up now and making something to fit an Optolong L-eNhance in the Sharpstar, much rather work with my hands than damn computers  😂

Dave

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Finally I bought it...and I have done a quick test 1 time only...with the same setup like yours...the field of view with the Redcat51 is too wide , I can't really say the I liked it so much but will check again.

I am happy that I own an Esprit100ED which will give me a better field of view with this camera.

Yes the sensor is large specially if you have used before other camera's , but it doesn't cause any problems except the field of view.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

Finally I bought it...and I have done a quick test 1 time only...with the same setup like yours...the field of view with the Redcat51 is too wide , I can't really say the I liked it so much but will check again.

I am happy that I own an Esprit100ED which will give me a better field of view with this camera.

Yes the sensor is large specially if you have used before other camera's , but it doesn't cause any problems except the field of view.

Thanks Nikolas. Perhaps I look at the 071 instead. I am still fairly new to the hobby and shooting wide has its benefits so for me I don’t believe it puts me of too much. Is it your first dedicated camera? I assume you can really notice the difference is quality? My 300s subs on dslr has painful horizontal banding 

thanks 

17 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Thanks Nikolas. Perhaps I look at the 071 instead.

Hi Simon the ZWO-071 is an APS-C size sensor with a pixel size of 4.78u, coupled with the Redcat 51 it will give you an image scale of 3.9 arc/sec per pixel. I have found an image scale of 1-2 arc/sec per pixel better suits U.K. skies. 

19 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Simon the ZWO-071 is an APS-C size sensor with a pixel size of 4.78u, coupled with the Redcat 51 it will give you an image scale of 3.9 arc/sec per pixel. I have found an image scale of 1-2 arc/sec per pixel better suits U.K. skies. 

Thanks Xsubmariner Are you able to recommend a cooled camera for my needs? I mainly image nebula, but I will look to something with a bit more focal in the future probably still only around 500-700mm and ideally do not want two separate cameras (keeping the cost down ish). 

Thanks 

Edited by Simon Pepper

The best suited camera for the Redcat51 when I was doing a research coming from the Atik 383+mono , was the ZWO ASI183 mono or color , but it didn't suit my needs also I was looking for something newer.

There is no banding in the Asi2600mc pro...I didn't notice any.

Before switching to dedicated astro camera's I use to have Canon , my last one was the 750d which had strong banding lines due to the new technology of the focus points in the sensor.

2 hours ago, Simon Pepper said:

Thanks Xsubmariner Are you able to recommend a cooled camera for my needs?

It is always difficult to recommend a camera for other people as there are many factors that need to be considered. If you are able to buy new and your preference is for a cmos camera why would you consider a first generation unit with its known limitations when the second generation units are already available. The new 16 bit IMX based cameras are a substantial improvement in noise, QE and don’t suffer microlensing.

If you are prepared to consider CCD as well as CMOs and used, there is plenty of choice and the market has been buoyant recently with some cracking cameras to be had.

2 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

The best suited camera for the Redcat51 when I was doing a research coming from the Atik 383+mono , was the ZWO ASI183 mono or color , but it didn't suit my needs also I was looking for something newer.

There is no banding in the Asi2600mc pro...I didn't notice any.

Before switching to dedicated astro camera's I use to have Canon , my last one was the 750d which had strong banding lines due to the new technology of the focus points in the sensor.

I have the same it’s really bad! I have the 800d as well but that’s not modified. 

21 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

but that’s not modified

Even if you modify banding stays the same it's on the sensor build.

Try checking at the astronomy tools web site...there is a place that you can check which camera sensor size matches better your needs in Field of View.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 15/10/2020 at 13:21, gilesco said:

I have a ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro, it is producing perfect results, my imperfections are in other areas. Will certainly be considering this one for future OSC results, but the for time being, I will be building LRGBHaOIIISII images in one form or another very manually. 

Hi.. where do you host your blog?  Thanks. 

I have both OSC and mono versions of the same chip. Each has some advantages and disadvantages. I started with OSC and later bought mono version. 36 mm filters are large enough. If L-Extreme, than 2". Btw, there are some nice filter drawers that you can put in front of your camera, so that you do not have to screw in filters every time.

Advantage of OSC is that is cheaper all together, you get all colors at once (does not mean you need less time than with mono), and it may look somehow simpler (it is not really) . 

Mono camera gives you better resolution , it is actually faster then mono,  you can image in light polluted areas , but is far more expensive. Just a set of good RGB and NB filters with filter wheel will cost more than the camera.

If I would have known what I know now , would have bought mono only. 

Either one (OSC or mono) will be perfect match with Esprit 100. Why is this camera better than others?  Simply because there is nothing else that is CMOS, 16bit, APS-C format and such pixel size, and without amp glow. 

If you wish you can see few of my images with both cameras 

https://www.astrobin.com/users/Stefek/

Edited by Stefek
  • Like 1