NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"Dizzy" the Takahashi FC 100 DZ joins the team

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Hmmm...which of my children would I sell? 🤔

If they ever made a fluorite 140 probably all of them, not that i am biased but the DZ is really nice 👍

• Haha 2

Looks a great scope and it’s repudiation goes before it. How will you choose between this and the 120 TSA, they are about the same size? I guess the DZ will cool down faster...

Ps. What handle will you put on it?

2 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Looks a great scope and it’s repudiation goes before it. How will you choose between this and the 120 TSA, they are about the same size? I guess the DZ will cool down faster...

Ps. What handle will you put on it?

The Tak FC 100 DZ is the Travel-by-car scope. I have a travel-by-plane scope: the Tak FC 76 DCU. I also took it away on a road trip last week and really missed an extra 1-inch of aperture esp on Mars, lovely scope as it it, though. The FS 102 and the TSA 120 are a little too bulky with all the other gubbins needed for a holiday by car, esp when you factor into the need for bigger mount and tripod...They are stay at home scopes.

The Tak FC 100 DC is grab-and-go at home, too.

Handle? 🤔 Dizzy is so light and easily handled, I'm not actually sure I need one. But don't tell @johninderby that .....🙂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

The Tak FC 100 DZ is the Travel-by-car scope. I have a travel-by-plane scope: the Tak FC 76 DCU. I also took it away on a road trip last week and really missed an extra 1-inch of aperture esp on Mars, lovely scope as it it, though. The FS 102 and the TSA 120 are a little too bulky with all the other gubbins needed for a holiday by car, esp when you factor into the need for bigger mount and tripod...They are stay at home scopes.

Handle? 🤔 Dizzy is so light and easily handled, I'm not actually sure I need one. But don't tell @johninderby that .....🙂

An addict always has a reason for their behaviour. 😉 

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Out of interest did you get it, from TruTek Astro? That website has been down for some weeks, I wondered if they are still in business.

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

The only thing I don't get with TAK scopes is why they cant include a 10:1 fine focus.

Adam

It’s just so you have an excuse to fit a Feathertouch 👍👍👍

• 10 months later...

I‘ve been quizzed whether I prefer my Tak FS 102 of FC 100DZ. Well, one person has asked actually 😊

Difficult q. Some thoughts:

Optics. Nothing in it really. Both star performers. Perhaps the FS102 on Jupiter, DZ on starfields/DSO. All a bit subjective. Maybe just the small difference in focal length? Certainly not the 2mm difference in aperture 😊. I never got to do a side by side comp on Mars. The FS showed me truly excellent images in the perihelic opposition in 2003, but then it was pretty much overhead when I was living in Singapore. Last year I never really got excellent seeing on Mars around opposition – and when it was a bit better is was using Tessa the TSA 120.

Engineering. The FS is classic Tak overbuild all the way from the wide tube to the manhole lens cover. The DZ is svelte by comparison and much lighter. The DZ has it for travel, but for observing in the garden, or a permanent set up, there’s really nothing in it. DZ is so light and easy to carry I’ve never needed to attach a handle (by contrast to the FS, where John Handleby’s advice was instrumental in getting it decked out with such an accoutrement) 

Aesthetics. The FS has a classic appearance and feel. The DZ looks more up to date.

Romance. I’ve had many years of observing pleasure invested in the FS. Not to mention quite a few discoveries and papers in the field of variable stars. The FS was also my first Tak. Dizzy is still romantic, but we’ve been together for a mere 11 months.

So there you have it: no decision. This is why I still have both. I was intending to sell the FS when Dizzy arrived, but with lockdowns and the considerations above, I have never got round to doing it 😊

IMG_3069.jpg.29be190a63368d652ec64adc39fbff4f.jpg

744413637_TakFC100DZ.jpg.22db2f799f4706452c768259c70768d5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

It seems I am late to the party, congrats on this 100DZ, it sure is a beautiful looking refractor! I can assume that since then you have been wow'd plenty by this gem.

Yes, definitely wowed. So much to like 👍🏻
l still fancy a TSA 102 though 🤩

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, definitely wowed. So much to like 👍🏻
l still fancy a TSA 102 though 🤩

A man with an insatiable Tak-etite!

I am surprised you haven’t run into one in the classifieds or by word of mouth through your Tak collecting years.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 1

A fascinating comparison between your FS (Flipping Superb)102 and FC (Fully Comparable) DZ100, Jeremy!

Of course, as an FS owner I'm biased, but I think that your comparison really shows how small the differences are between really fine optics.

The differences you describe are often quite subjective, and it's gratifying to see how little actual differences there are in the field between one of Takahashi's most recent refractors in the DZ and one of their most famous and innovative designs from over 30 years ago in the FS series.

I do hope you will resist any temptation to let the FS go in the future..you have a long history with it and more memories to create in the future, I'm sure..👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Haha 2