Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

Are any of you using the ZWO ASI224MC with the 8" Classical Cassegrain? If so, which spacers are you using?

I've tried 1, 2, 3 and 4 inches and I get a very fuzzy Mars right at the end of the 4" spacer. It's as if it needs a bit more.

The Moon looks sharp when just observing so it's not a collimation issue.

On 20/10/2020 at 17:22, johninderby said:

No you just need a simple collimation cap but it won’t need collimating very often unlike a newt.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

There’s this guide too (though I hope it would be more simple typically)

BTW just seen FLO has another in stock...shhh

Update: already out of stock...hot cakes

Edited by Luminated

On 24/10/2020 at 23:02, Mikey0368 said:

Are any of you using the ZWO ASI224MC with the 8" Classical Cassegrain? If so, which spacers are you using?

I've tried 1, 2, 3 and 4 inches and I get a very fuzzy Mars right at the end of the 4" spacer. It's as if it needs a bit more.

The Moon looks sharp when just observing so it's not a collimation issue.

Yes I use that camera and I'm using just one of the 1 inch rings. I do use a 2x barlow or extender as well though to add a little more scale. Seems to work for me. Just need the conditions to improve now. 

• 2 weeks later...

As you can fit another focuser should be able to sort it out. The stock focuser is OK for visual but upgrading would be a good idea for AP anyway. I fitted a Baader Diamond Steeltrack which I beleive is compatible with the ZWO or you could fit a Moonlite or even a FeatherTouch.

Edited by johninderby

I've had first light with the Stella Lyra 8RC and surprisingly it was on Mars because I could just about see it from the obsy and I hadn't nailed the goto's on my new mount at the time. The seeing was very damp/almost misty and RC's are of course designed for DSO imaging so I've cheated with some NASA CGI 🤣

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lockie said:

've had first light with the Stella Lyra 8RC and surprisingly it was on Mars because I could just about see it from the obsy and I hadn't nailed the goto's on my new mount at the time. The seeing was very damp/almost misty and RC's are of course designed for DSO imaging so I've cheated with some NASA CGI

Excellent Chris and very nicely produced, looks pretty much like the view through my SCT + 2X Powermate

Dave

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Excellent Chris and very nicely produced, looks pretty much like the view through my SCT + 2X Powermate

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's interesting, you have me beat on both focal length and the aperture with the Meade 10" SCT plus 2x Barlow, so perhaps the seeing conditions level the playing field a lot of the time? I know my secondary was completely dewed up by the end of the night, so that couldn't have helped, so I'm re assured by your comparison! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lockie said:

Thanks Dave, that's interesting, you have me beat on both focal length and the aperture with the Meade 10" SCT plus 2x Barlow, so perhaps the seeing conditions level the playing field a lot of the time? I know my secondary was completely dewed up by the end of the night, so that couldn't have helped, so I'm re assured by your comparison! 

During the recent apparition I only had one night of great seeing and the best views of Mars ever, unfortunately I didn't take any videos of it until a few days later when it had all gone to pot.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

During the recent apparition I only had one night of great seeing and the best views of Mars ever, unfortunately I didn't take any videos of it until a few days later when it had all gone to pot.

Dave

Ah that's typical about the capture Dave, but great you had the best views of Mars ever :) It might have been the same night I got amazing views with the Heritage 150p, that must have been my best view to date. 

• Like 2

On 27/10/2020 at 16:41, ShrewView said:

Yes I use that camera and I'm using just one of the 1 inch rings. I do use a 2x barlow or extender as well though to add a little more scale. Seems to work for me. Just need the conditions to improve now. 

Thanks. I'll give that a go tonight hopefully as we're supposed to be getting a rare clear spell. 

I can't believe I've had this telescope for about 5 weeks now and I've barely had a chance to use it, never mind work out focus with the ASI224.

• Sad 1

I finally got a picture! You'll see better pics of Mars but it's my first one and I'm happy enough with it for a first attempt.

To get it to focus using the ASI224 I used all 4 1" spacers that came with the telescope and the 16.5mm and 21mm spacers that came with my ASI294. 

Mars_192024_lapl5_ap15.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mikey0368 said:

I finally got a picture! You'll see better pics of Mars but it's my first one and I'm happy enough with it for a first attempt.

To get it to focus using the ASI224 I used all 4 1" spacers that came with the telescope and the 16.5mm and 21mm spacers that came with my ASI294. 

Mars_192024_lapl5_ap15.jpg

That's a fantastic first image, well done. One to be proud of straight off the bat :) 

On 18/10/2020 at 21:46, Lockie said:

I'll just leave this here:

Whilst absorbed in your adventure I noticed you’re using the EXOS2-GT setup...have been considering this as an alternative to the HEQ5. How have you found it in use; I read some reviews with the WiFi being a bit temperamental for instance...do you think it holds to the advertised 12.7k weight capacity well?

On 08/11/2020 at 16:33, johninderby said:

As you can fit another focuser should be able to sort it out. The stock focuser is OK for visual but upgrading would be a good idea for AP anyway. I fitted a Baader Diamond Steeltrack which I beleive is compatible with the ZWO or you could fit a Moonlite or even a FeatherTouch.

Agreed, I have a RC8, different brand but same monorail focuser. I tried to fit my Senso Sesto to it and the whole focuser turned. It’s plastic and built to a price point. But why they fit this I’ve no idea. A basic all metal R&P focuser would have been much better.

I’ve got a 2.5” TS Optics focuser on the way, should be nice and solid and has a rotator and M48 camera side threads. 

Finally got to use my CC6 this evening and while I was impressed with the clarity of the views it took ages to settle. It is mounted on a AZ5 with the stainless steel tripod which theoretically should be fine. Does anyone have any suggestions please, any input would be very welcome.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Yes John, it wobbles while focusing but it takes about 4/6 seconds to stabilise. I use my 127 Mak on the same set up and it is no problem.

I'd say that 6" CC has twice the weight of 127 Mak?

First is 5.8Kg while second is around 3.2Kg. Mount itself handles about 5Kg of weight - CC will be pushing it. I guess AZ4 is probably better suited to this scope, or possibly EQ5 or SkyTee II.

The CC6 is very back heavy which won’t be helping with an AZ5.

Perhaps one of these fitted to the front of the dovetail would help to balance the scope better.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-counterweight-kits/adm-dovetail-counterweight-kit-v-series.html

Or

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/counterweights/baader-dovetail-bar-levelling-counterweight.html

Edited by johninderby

3 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

The only reason I got this scope is because the stated weight limit for this mount is 9kg with the stainless steel tripod. I thought 3.2 kg under maximum would be ok.

I don't own that mount so I can't comment, but I've seen two different sites quote it at 5Kg capacity. I've never seen it quoted at higher payload. It did make me wonder - Skywatcher mounts have increasing payload as numbers go up - how come AZ5 has smaller payload capacity in comparison to AZ4.

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I don't own that mount so I can't comment, but I've seen two different sites quote it at 5Kg capacity. I've never seen it quoted at higher payload. It did make me wonder - Skywatcher mounts have increasing payload as numbers go up - how come AZ5 has smaller payload capacity in comparison to AZ4.

The 5kg limit for the AZ5 is with the supplied aluminium tripod, and 9kg with the heavier duty stainless steel tripod according to the specs I have seen.

• Like 2