Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

After a bit of research, the Astro Essentials 0.75 reducer is limited to an image circle of 15mm which is too small for my ASI1600MM camera.

The CCD47 from TS can be used with a bigger image around 29mm if used with a backfocus of 85mm. Not sure what is the difference with the Astro Physics CCDT67, they seem to share the same characteristics. Although it seems hard to find the Astrophysics model currently.

I honestly find the Riccardi reducer a bit expensive compared to the RC8...

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent thread. I've been looking for a dedicated OTA for lunar/planetary to go on the mount I ordered (Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-8).
I watched a bunch of YouTube vids on each and then when I came here - there they all were! 🙂 - great to see such a cool community.
I'm concerned though about back focus and don't want to end up with issues.
I've bought a ASI462MC(color) and a ADC. With a 2 x Barlow will it reach focus?

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Doversole said:

Have you seen this thread on Astrobin about a GSO RC8 design flaw ? 

https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrophotography/equipment/rc-product-design-deficiency/

I wonder if the Stellalyra version is also affected? 

No customers have reported this to us and we have not encountered it ourselves 🙂 

When testing the larger 10" model we concluded it would benefit from a TS Light Shade only when used with a full-frame sensor. (We doubt a shade would provide any benefit when using smaller camera sensors or smaller aperture RC telescopes). 

We have been sourcing GSO-manufactured StellaLyra RC telescopes from Oct 2020. We are not familiar with GSO-manufactured RC scopes sold before then or by other retailers. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Are we ever going to see a 10”  Classical Cassegrain solid tube? Would be a lot more affordable than the truss version I would think.

A solid tube version isn't currently an option but we would consider it if the situation changes. 

• Like 2

With the Classical Cassegrain now getting established could be a good option sometime in the future. Should be a parts bin exercise for GSO to produce.

10” carbon tube Classical Cassegrain……….Yes please. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Strange how the astro world during my time has gone from CCs to SCTs and now back to CCs.

It's like people were attracted by the convenience of short tube SCTs and forgot how good CCs were. 

An f20 CC is almost unbeatable on planets. You can get them - at a price.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, johninderby said:

And hence the reason for CCs going out of favour until now.

My fan drawing warm air out. On the focuser i have a 1" tube extender with a peice of porous foam in. Lets cool air in. But not bugs or dust. White masking tape is used because its light , it will not mark the tube. easy to get off. works for a few sessions then replace. Vid makes more sense with sound

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I suspect people using the modern CCs we have now are starting to realise just how ordinary SCTs are for visual use. I think a shift from convenience to quality is a welcome shift though. 

I think GSO Have upped there game with the release of the CCs. Always thought of GSO as second fiddle to Skywatcher. But if my optics are representative of the breed. Then they really are coming into there own. I wonder about the Stella lyra dobs, for me specifically the 12" how good the current crop of mirrors are ? Imaging with a 12" Newtonian can sometimes really deliver. But i can imagine the 8" CC could be for many, all the scope they would ever need for high power. Roll on the return of jupiter  and Mars riding high. And i think we are going to learn more about these excellent designs. So easy to setup. But performs like a big scope.

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I wonder about the Stella lyra dobs, for me specifically the 12" how good the current crop of mirrors are ?

I'll let you know when mine arrives 😜 From what I've been reading the GSO mirrors are rather good on these. That and the better build quality and accessories made it an easy choice over the Skywatcher.

The Skywatcher Dobs are looking a bit tired and basic now. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I'll let you know when mine arrives 😜 From what I've been reading the GSO mirrors are rather good on these. That and the better build quality and accessories made it an easy choice over the Skywatcher.

The Skywatcher Dobs are looking a bit tired and basic now. 

Yes they do dont they wonder if they will in time respond. Thats a idea a premium Newtonian from skywatcher including premium mirrors.

What size dob you getting ?