Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

10 hours ago, nfotis said:

I wonder, where's the difference between this series and the other GSO-built CCs? The badge and paint scheme? The accessories?

9 hours ago, Lockie said:

They are quite openly GSO scopes as stated by FLO, and I doubt there will be any real difference to GSO or Orion badged scopes. From what I have heard so far ( I'm happy to be corrected if wrong) FLO were keeping an eye on this range by GSO as they saw their potential, but they were waiting for any early scope issues to be ironed out. E.g. having to add a third party tilt plate to correct any malalignment of the optical axis. I believe this is now incorporated where the focuser meets the back of the OTA?

I guess the livery and the name Stella Lyra is FLO being happy to put their name to a product, and I've heard many a time they only stock telescopes they believe in. 

^ What he said 🙂 

Perhaps when Johninderby posted a link to the same telescope at 365astronomy it was to demonstrate what we said in our original post is true. “Manufactured by Guan Sheng Optical in Taiwan”.

You can of course buy these same designs wearing other brand names like Orion, TS, Omegon, etc. 

We have always been transparent regarding who manufacturers our telescopes (retailers do not manufacture telescopes). 

GSO enables retailers who meet their criteria and are able to order in sufficient quantity to brand their designs. Some simply use their own company name or logo. Others, like us, launch unique brand names. 

Having our own brand enables us to identify telescopes sourced and sold by us and support them (FLO is the only UK astronomy retailer with a fully equipped/staffed workshop and Es Reid handles optical work if necessary). You can buy with confidence. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Awfully tempted by the 6” CC as a more portable scope than the 8”. My manual alt-az setup with the berlebach Report tripod would just handle it. Not much difference in weight to the StellaMira 80mm f/10 so would still be grab’n’go. 🤔

Not quite the same, but I can confirm that the Report and ScopeTech Zero combo with C5 on top, make a lovely, light (single handed carry) grab and go, and of course manages the StellaMira admirably, so I would expect the CC6" should be lovely indeed 👍

I'm still veering towards the CC8", as I want something with much bigger aperture now and my AZ Mount Pro will easily carry it 🤔

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FLO said:

We don't have a x0.5 or x0.33 but we do have a 0.75x Reducer for StellaLyra / GSO Ritchey Chretien OTAs. 

11 hours ago, Lockie said:

Ah if I had known I would have grabbed one the same time as the RC8 but I've just bought Kirkster's CCDT67 reducer. 

No problem 🙂 

Would you mind if we loan you one of our reducers (it is made by GSO, like the telescope)? It will be good to know how it compares. 

Please PM me if you are willing. 

Steve 

• Like 1

Wish The 10” CC was available in a solid tube like that offered for the 10 RC.  Would be a lot more affordable.

And yes posted the link to 365astronomy just to show the RC truss was a similar price to the CC truss.

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Don’t wait John: order now! 
🙂

Just placed the order for the 6” CC 😁

Now to get a couple of things listed for sale to pay for it. Looks like it will be so long to the Bresser 100mak. Great little scope. 😢

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Now to get a couple of things listed for sale to pay for it. Looks like it will be so long to the Bresser 100mak. Great little scope. 😢

Excellent news John. Thought you’d not be able to resist this smaller sibling of your 8 CC

I’m astounded at the value for money these new scopes represent. But don’t tell FLO I said that 🤫

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, FLO said:

No problem 🙂 

Would you mind if we loan you one of our reducers (it is made by GSO, like the telescope)? It will be good to know how it compares. 

Steve 

Maybe add this as well for testing purposes:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/astrozap-artificial-star.html

That way reducer + scope combo can be tested even when it is cloudy?

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 10:44, Sp@ce_d said:

Just when I thought I'd give my 8"RC a rest from it's 5 year tour of duty & go for an Esprit 150 they go and do this!.. That 10" looks sooo tempting! I've been very pleased (well its been on the mount on auto for 5 years!) with my 8" carbon Altair version. My only concern would be the focusser. Hard to tell from the pics, but they do have the same look. Hopefully these ones are all metal. Mine (Altair) wasn't very good at holding a FW OAG and a 314L+.. it eventually split as the bottom piece  was partly plastic. The nice folk at FLO got me a Moonlite & motor which I totally recommend.  Looks like the size needs updating for the 10" as its saying 2" at the top 3.25" at bottom.. another typo there FLO.  Any option to have these bench check'd & tested?

I to have the 8" Altair RC CF version, and that focuser does look suspiciously the same, apart from the logo. I ended up replacing my focuser. It would say it is a rebranded GSO/Altair/IOptron/TS version.

1 hour ago, FLO said:

No problem 🙂 

Steve 

Hi Steve, I was going to buy your 0.75 reducer in the near future to do the same comparison you suggest, so YES PLEASE! I'll PM you :) 

• Like 2

Minor picky detail. 😁

Just noticed that it looks like the pic showing the secondary of the CC6”  on FLOs website is actually that of the RC which has a much bigger secondary.

Here’s a pic of the TS CC 6” for comparison. 

AA55A24E-3D08-438C-A0E7-C8F4DCF017C1.jpeg

966FBD5E-F441-45DE-B89C-742DBB859518.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I noticed this as well John, but wondered if it had already been pointed out?

There's literally one thing I wish the 8" versions had, it's only a small aesthetic thing, but the 6" models look so cool with the anodised red dovetail bar! :) 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThunderstruK said:

What are peoples thoughts on collimation with the RC scopes? 

Anything new or different is worrying until you know how, but I think you just use a Cheshire to check the inner rings are concentric for the seconday mirror, and if the outer ring is out you can adjust the focuser tilt plate at the base of the of focuser.  

The CC is a lot easier to collimate although may not be needed as they seem to hold collimation very well.

The RC is trickier though and have read horror stoies of frustrated owners stuggling to collimate them. But as mentioned a lot has to do with getting  your head round a different system.🤔

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks both, yes I've read horror stories too which makes me unsure. I'm trying to decide between an rc and newt for relatively fast dso imaging. Either way I'll have to learn collimation.  Im definitely looking for speed over focal length. Just feel like the rc design may be better for imaging than newt. Refractor a bit slow and expensive. 

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Really interested in the 6" CC especially as my largest Alt/Az mount is the AZ5. Look forward to your review John. Visually the CC and RC looks almost identical although the CC has a tube length of 437mm and the RC 391mm - I can't see any other identity marks.

8 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

These are great looking scopes, the 8cc has my eye, do we think a GP is man enough for lunar work, as I think the the 6cc is too close to the 4"f11..?

Think the 8” CC is a bit much for a GP mount. My CC weighs about 11kg but that is with tube rings and handle and Steeltrack focuser. Probably about 10kg without. 🤔

1A91E32E-D309-4E5B-AD8A-997E59F91A0A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Really interested in the 6" CC especially as my largest Alt/Az mount is the AZ5. Look forward to your review John. Visually the CC and RC looks almost identical although the CC has a tube length of 437mm and the RC 391mm - I can't see any other identity marks.

The only obvious way to tell them apart at first glance is the size of the secondary.. The 8” RC has a huge secondary.

t

0F0B50A2-0CD2-4306-9906-ED1801771746.jpeg

0A798C6C-78D6-4314-B551-A3BE6FE8DDEB.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The CC is a lot easier to collimate although may not be needed as they seem to hold collimation very well.

The RC is trickier though and have read horror stoies of frustrated owners stuggling to collimate them. But as mentioned a lot has to domwityngetting your head round a different system.🤔

Ooops! The collimation video I saw was for the CC come to think of it. I didn't realise the RC would be a trickier beast! Still I'm hoping by making any adjustments small things shouldn't go too horribly wrong.... in theory 🤣